Author Topic: Recent original CT art  (Read 8690 times)

cymorg

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I draw Frogs
    • View Profile
Recent original CT art
« on: March 13, 2020, 10:28:27 pm »
Hi guys! First post here, but I've been a huge fan of Chrono Trigger ever since I was a kid and it really influenced a lot of my tastes growing up. Recently I was reminded of how fantastic of a series it is and I wanted to revisit it now that I can actually draw, lol. As you can see I really like Lucca and Frog, so I tend to draw them the most, but I love all the characters and I want to try and draw all of them more. I hope you'll enjoy the stuff I've made!

this one is silly but that new animal crossing game is coming out soon so i thought it would be cute

I post doodles and personal posts speculating/hot takes on CT and my ideas on the characters from time on my twitter, https://twitter.com/cym0rg, since that's where I'm the most active. Thanks!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Recent original CT art
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 05:53:42 pm »
I'm really loving your art. Excellent work. Lucca was my least favorite character when I started playing, but my view of her has grown a lot over the years. So seeing great (and also humorous) art of her like this is wonderful.

six more days!!!

Sailor Phantom

• Porrean (+50)
  • I am Sailor Phantom of Middle Earth!
    • View Profile
    • Sailor Phantom's DA
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 02:40:21 pm »
All of this is brilliant! Love the LotR reference! :D Also super cool seeing her sprite poses drawn out. Lucca and Frog are truly amazing. :D You have such a lovely style!!!

Lavos, a one-eyed tick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Yep, that's me. The big one-eyed space tick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 04:59:41 pm »
Wow, that's some really great art!

cymorg

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I draw Frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 05:22:55 am »
Wow, that's some really great art!

Thank you!!

All of this is brilliant! Love the LotR reference! :D Also super cool seeing her sprite poses drawn out. Lucca and Frog are truly amazing. :D You have such a lovely style!!!

Thanks so much! I actually have a TON more art to dump here, unsure if I should just bump my thread or edit the op or what, haha, I'm so bad at forum etiquette.

I'm really loving your art. Excellent work. Lucca was my least favorite character when I started playing, but my view of her has grown a lot over the years. So seeing great (and also humorous) art of her like this is wonderful.

six more days!!!

Lucca was always my gal, I've loved her since I was a kid! Now I'm just powerful enough to draw her the way she deserves to be drawn. I'm glad to hear you eventually came around to her, though!

cymorg

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I draw Frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 06:07:54 am »
Hi people! Sorry for not checking the forum terribly often, I usually post on my twitter like I mentioned in the OP. When it comes to periodically posting art, I'm not sure if I should edit the OP or if a bump with the new stuff will suffice - but I'm gonna try the latter for now. Anyway, I got new stuff.

Started learning Zbrush for school stuff, decided to practice my new skills with a bust of Lucca. Forgive that she doesn't have glasses, I haven't learned a way to make them (that looks good). It's always been a dream of mine to translate the Chrono characters into 3d, so I'm happy I'm able to take steps towards that.

Glenn is just... so good. I adore his original human design, I think it fits him perfectly. He's my boy and I wanted to draw him. This style was really fun, was thinking about trying to use it for a graphic novel or something.

Froggy Glenn is cute and I want Lucca to give him a hug. That's all the explanation I have for this one.

Lucca's design in Another Eden is so cute. I like to imagine that's how she looked in Cross, a more mature version of herself running around trying to take care of her 10 kids.

I like Toriyama's style and all, but I feel like it can be a bit limiting for character design. I was kinda playing with the way I would imagine each of them in my own style. Ayla obviously is a lot bigger and more bombastic, I like the idea of Marle having cute dimples, and Lucca having very soft and rounded features.

I'm sure it was obvious before but just in case you weren't sure, yeah I ship em, it was my first ever OTP and they're very near and dear to me. I'm a sucker for a good old fashion forbidden romance. In general their dynamic in the game feels very natural to me. Also it helps that Lucca is crazy for him when she sees him as a human.

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 11:31:50 am »
I am totally digging the art. The 3D stuff is pretty impressive. And Lucca should give Frog more hugs! It's cute because it shows how far their friendship has come. The last one looks like something out of an old Disney movie.

To be honest, I shipped Glenn/Lucca like burning back in the day. I still don't know their official ages but figured they were something of a May-December romance. And I shipped them anyway. :lol:

cymorg

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I draw Frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 04:18:00 pm »
I am totally digging the art. The 3D stuff is pretty impressive. And Lucca should give Frog more hugs! It's cute because it shows how far their friendship has come. The last one looks like something out of an old Disney movie.

To be honest, I shipped Glenn/Lucca like burning back in the day. I still don't know their official ages but figured they were something of a May-December romance. And I shipped them anyway. :lol:

Thank you!! I'm trying to get better with 3d.... One day maybe even make a full character? I'm a 3d artist by trade, so I know the pipeline. It's a goal to work towards!

Also, I'm pretty sure nobody has any confirmed ages in CT, but when I draw/depict them I'm doing it with the idea that Lucca is in her early 20s and Glenn in his mid 20s. He was only a squire when he was turned, after all, and I believe the average age for a squire was 15? The main thing that clues me into this is the fact that he uses a different sprite for before and after he turns, implying to me that he still had some growing left to do before the frog business. Magus and Cyrus seemed to be fully grown adults and Glenn still a teenager, at least from my perspective - otherwise why not show his post-transformation sprite in the flashback?

It's a good ship though, a classic imo! I like that she realizes she was wrong about him and wants to a good friend to him during the masamune thing. Why else would the game introduce enemies that you need her to defeat at Denadoro and then give her the highest priority to fix the sword? There's an interesting idea there..

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 07:12:03 pm »
I like that she realizes she was wrong about him and wants to a good friend to him during the masamune thing. Why else would the game introduce enemies that you need her to defeat at Denadoro and then give her the highest priority to fix the sword? There's an interesting idea there..

I never really made the connection about Denadoro, but you're right. You need fire to burn the enemies that wield weapons. Villagers make that pretty clear.

And yeah, I headcanoned Glenn to be maybe 15-17 at the time he was turned into a frog, for the same reason (younger sprite), whether that was subconscious or not.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 03:35:09 am »
Somewhere on this site there are scans of Japanese magazines that seem to show biographical information (age/height/weight) for some of the characters, but I can't find them for the life of me. I'm not sure if the information was canon, but it would have been odd for the magazine authors to invent something like that out of whole cloth.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 09:08:46 am »
Somewhere I've read that Lucca was 18, Crono was 17, and Marle was 16.

The other ages, if defined, escape me.

In my head they're all late-teens anyway, so either way it matches up. In my head, a Chrono sequel would find them a bit older, though, and this art actually matches with that sequel headcanon perfectly.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 03:27:11 pm »
That's info from a V-Jump magazine or so.

―公式初期設定(Vジャンプ掲載)―
  クロノ:17歳 168cm 57kg
  マール:16歳 158cm 45kg
  ルッカ:19歳 160cm 48kg
  カエル:40歳くらい(グレン時の年齢は不明)134cm 42kg
  ロボ:175cm 189kg
  エイラ:24歳 168cm 59kg
  魔王:年齢不明 178cm 58kg

Lucca is 19, while Frog is... 40, apparently.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 07:00:17 pm »
This art. I like it. ANOTHER!

Memes aside, totally keep this up please. You have skills, and it's becoming my favorite pairing...

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2020, 06:42:38 pm »
That's info from a V-Jump magazine or so.

―公式初期設定(Vジャンプ掲載)―
  クロノ:17歳 168cm 57kg
  マール:16歳 158cm 45kg
  ルッカ:19歳 160cm 48kg
  カエル:40歳くらい(グレン時の年齢は不明)134cm 42kg
  ロボ:175cm 189kg
  エイラ:24歳 168cm 59kg
  魔王:年齢不明 178cm 58kg

Lucca is 19, while Frog is... 40, apparently.
Thanks, I found some of them on this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/Bo_deWindt/status/1071305238907248641

Maybe my memory of seeing them on the Compendium was incorrect.

Anyway, I can't read Japanese but those numbers jive with what's shown in the scans. I couldn't find scans for Marle and Lucca. They were probably in the July and August 1996 issues, which seem to be missing.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2020, 06:47:38 pm »
Scans for Robo and Magus.