Author Topic: I feel like if Toei Animation did a Chrono Trigger anime for Netflix...  (Read 4862 times)

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
...it would be a smash hit. There's still plenty of people who know what Chrono Trigger is, and I feel like even casual fans would watch that. Especially coupled with how succesful the Castlevania anime is, and also the wave that the Dragon Ball franchise is currently riding. I feel like even Dragon Ball fans who haven't played Trigger would watch this because it looks like Dragon Ball.

I don't think it'll ever happen, but I think it would be very succesful if it did. A long time has passed, but so what? After Dragon Ball GT, nobody ever thought a new Dragon Ball anime would ever happen, even though fans hoped and hoped for years. It's never too late.

One can dream, I guess.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: I feel like if Toei Animation did a Chrono Trigger anime for Netflix...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 02:25:05 am »
It's possible, I guess.

Netflix recently got the Dragon Quest movie. Perhaps it can serve as a good way to judge. Although, the movie did opted to stray from the Toriyama art-style, supposedly to "draw a wider crowd". Would a CT work do the same?

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 07:50:31 am »
That Dragon Quest movie got criticized precisely because it strayed from the well-known art style of the franchise. I feel like that movie is more of an example of what not to do with something like this.

Lavos, a one-eyed tick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Yep, that's me. The big one-eyed space tick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 11:37:56 am »
If they don't screw up character designs like the anime cutscenes (Lavos, human Glenn, and Azala come to mind), I'd be fine with that

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 12:25:27 pm »
I think the story of Chrono Trigger would adapt very well to an anime series.  You would not even need filler nor a need to skip any content.

Now a series based on Chrono Cross however...that one would be a lot harder to pull off.  It is one of my favorite games of all time, but the way it is structured would not make for an easy conversation.  For example, the search for the Dragons would have a lot of jumping around and would lack the flow of, well pretty much everything a CT series would offer.  Realistically you would also need a whole episode to properly cover the S.S. Zelbess sequence when finding the Sage, which would FEEL like filler in a TV show.

I love both games equally, but CT is definitely the better choice for any kind of adaptation to a TV series.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 06:13:43 pm »
Oh yeah. The art style change would also be pretty hard to explain (unless they did CC in Toriyama's style as well, which would be interesting), CT is definitely more suited for it.

CobaltGale

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 11:33:27 am »
I'm seeing this, and now all of a sudden...I really want a Studio Ghibli Chrono Trigger/Cross anime.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 09:43:38 am »
I'm seeing this, and now all of a sudden...I really want a Studio Ghibli Chrono Trigger/Cross anime.

Yes please.

Kitt

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • Forever Dreaming, my anime cel gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 02:41:20 pm »
Or a Madhouse (Vampire Hunter D, Card Captor Sakura) one.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 05:14:08 pm »
That Dragon Quest movie got criticized precisely because it strayed from the well-known art style of the franchise. I feel like that movie is more of an example of what not to do with something like this.

I actually didn't mind the art style for the Dragon Quest movie; it can be a challenge to transition 2D designs into 3D (although it's been done with a slew of DBZ games). I felt the bigger problem was the script/pacing. I dunno what it is, but certain non-mainstream animated movies have awful and somewhat-non-sensible pacing. Dragon Quest: Your Story was definitely guilty of this.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 09:04:41 pm »
I actually didn't mind the art style for the Dragon Quest movie; it can be a challenge to transition 2D designs into 3D (although it's been done with a slew of DBZ games). I felt the bigger problem was the script/pacing. I dunno what it is, but certain non-mainstream animated movies have awful and somewhat-non-sensible pacing. Dragon Quest: Your Story was definitely guilty of this.

I mean, DQ has long jumped to 3D, years before the movie, and didn't had to sacrifice the artstyle.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 10:26:14 am »
I mean, DQ has long jumped to 3D, years before the movie, and didn't had to sacrifice the artstyle.

I'm an idiot. And I've even played VII, VIII, and XI! True, true.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 04:47:57 pm »
Weird to bring up TOIE when you're worried about straying from the original & using GT as an example. They were responsible for that AND all the CT anime cut scenes as well (don't forget Crono's weird grown-up Goku proportions). Toriyama himself or nothing. Plenty of his designs do great in CG...

What would be weird about a CT anime would be the inevitable choices of what would or wouldn't be changed because of game logic. i.e. Party choice...like would anyone *have* to get stuck in the EoT occasionally? 🤔

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 06:38:15 pm »
Since the CT cast isn't that big, I could see them ditching the "More than three and from different time periods and it's off to the EoT" thing.

Even if not, what aids CT is that several segments required someone to be present. Then for most of the game Crono is another. After that usually you can have someone else with somewhat relation to what's currently going on. Like Magus for the Northern Ruins, or Lucca at Geno Dome, so that only leaves the third character to choose, and that would be more manageable at least.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 04:39:55 am »
Then there's the whole 'silent protagonist' thing...Do they artfully navigate around any spoken Crono dialogue like nudity in Austin Powers? Give him a voice & lines not present in the game? Make him mute? I feel like this conversation has been had here at some point...😅