Author Topic: What if Magus had been in Chrono Cross?  (Read 1324 times)

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
What if Magus had been in Chrono Cross?
« on: February 15, 2020, 10:06:34 am »
I think many fans share one mutual regret about Chrono Cross: That Magus was planned as a character, but ultimately scrapped in lieu of Cross' extensive and colorful cast of randomly recruited party members.

So... Let's imagine for a minute that that wasn't the case. What if Chrono Cross had had a more compressed character roster, one of them being Magus? How would the story in Chrono Cross have changed? What would have been Magus' storyline, his character arc? Where would we have found him and where would the story have taken him?

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: What if Magus had been in Chrono Cross?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 10:25:44 am »
The DS version of CT actually suggests that Magus might be Guile post memory wipe.  In Trigger, Magus claims that if a piece of himself should remain, maybe his new self would be able to save Schala, as he realizes that he would never be able to save her as he was.  Upon waking up, he has no clue where he is nor who he was...but he feels he must find "something" and that he will search to the ends of the earth to find it.

Fast forward to Guile in Cross, and we learn that Guile is in search of the world's enigma.  He has no clear motive, just that he is looking for abnormalities.  This lines up with what Magus says at the end of Trigger when you fight the Dream Devourer.  He even states when you talk to him as an NPC after recuiting him "take me to the enigma", as if finding "something" is his only real motivation.  Given that he was originally planned to be Magus, the resemblance is already there.  The differences in personality can easily be contributed to Magus wiping his memory, and therefore not knowing of his past hardships that made him who he was before.  With that in mind, it is widely believed that Magus was retconned to be Guile omce again with the DS content, but in a way that does not compromise Cross's story.

But for the sake of conversation, lets pretend that the DS ending did not happen for this discussion.  In this case  he was already planned to be Guile (but with his memory) similar to how he was Magil in RD.  He would likely join during the Viper Manor break in, as a nod to RD as well.  Saving Kid would no longer be an option, at least one where he would remain in the party.  It is possible he could leave temporarily if you choose not to save her and find a way himself.

Post body swap, Magus would likely rejoin before you got your body back after crossing paths and fighting with him out of confusion (similar to Radius).  Kid is alone with Lynx now, so he would want to shut that shit down real fast.

Aside from that however, he really would just be another vessel for translating the plot of Chrono Cross.  Since Kid is not Schala herself, he would likely have been tasked by Balthasar to watch over her, and Magus would already know everything that is going on.  He would just be going through the motions until the time was right to reveal himself, similar to how when he was a false prophet of Zeal.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 10:33:25 am »
Actually, the Magus becomes Guile thing could still work. But instead of Guile being an empty slate character that has no unique dialogue after his introduction, he could have a more meaningful part in the story and a happier conclusion (aka getting his memories back at some point). I'd be curious to see how that would play out as well.

Now that I think about it, this reveal could happen when Kid receives the letter from Lucca. Guile would be required to be present, and what follows is Kid somehow realizing (through her ties to Schala). Like... "It's you, isn't it..? You're the one she's talking about."

I dunno. That's what I would hope for at least.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:35:22 am by Beach Bum »

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 10:43:49 am »
Actually, the Magus becomes Guile thing could still work. But instead of Guile being an empty slate character that has no unique dialogue after his introduction, he could have a more meaningful part in the story and a happier conclusion (aka getting his memories back at some point). I'd be curious to see how that would play out as well.

Now that I think about it, this reveal could happen when Kid receives the letter from Lucca. Guile would be required to be present, and what follows is Kid somehow realizing (through her ties to Schala). Like... "It's you, isn't it..? You're the one she's talking about."

I dunno. That's what I would hope for at least.

Yeah I really like that idea.  That would have been epic, yet subtle.  In fact, I am now convinced the only reason that did not happen, is the fact that the DS Dream Devourer content was written after Cross had already been on the market for years.

BUT a potential re release of Cross on Switch or PS4 could definitely add that in as a similar nod without compromising anything.

Here's hoping!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 01:04:05 pm »
I'd say, interesting to follow up the Dream Devourer "ending", it'd also be interesting to theorize Magus "pulling a Magil" as Guile as well.