Author Topic: Overworld Palette question  (Read 3462 times)

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
Overworld Palette question
« on: February 13, 2020, 07:51:36 pm »
So I'm brewing something small for that potential hacking event/competition https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=13230.0 and I stumbled into a few roadblocks.

roadblock one is simple, I just want to entirely dispose of the boat in the overworld for 1000 A.D. Should be pretty simple but I opened the events for 1000 AD to delete it and couldn't tell the boat from probably important things I need >.>

Roadblock number 2 is about palettes. I know that at least 1000 AD, 600 AD, and the dark ages share some of the same graphics packs for its overworld sprites.  (L 1/2 Tileset 0, 1, 2, and 3) - actually I think 1000 AD and 600 AD share 100 percent of the same graphics. Anyway, I know i can shift the palettes around with the L 1/2 Palette option, number  4 is 1000 AD's colors and 5 is 600 AD, changing a bright happy world to a more dark middle aged world.

What I wanted to know is how can I change where the palette is pulled from?

When I edit NPCS i change the palette of the graphics pack with Snespal, but as these overworld sprites share graphics packs and have different palettes assigned, I'm trying to figure out where say, the dark ages palette is assigned and what address I could edit it at in snespal or something to that affect?

I hope that makes sense xD

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Overworld Palette question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 12:31:23 pm »
I believe overworld sprite and background palettes are both in the same packet.

Code: [Select]
06FEA0 06FEFF PTR N Pointers to Overworld palettes (first at 03CE44) 2004.06.21
Off the top of my head, the Ferry is done as an AddObject command. Look for one of those that sets its coordinates near the ferry resting spots.

Code: [Select]
7E1BA7 1 04 Overworld Ferry departs from Truce 2007.06.29
7E1BA7 1 08 Overworld Ferry departs from Porre 2007.06.29

There will be checks on these values that call the ferry movement code.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
Re: Overworld Palette question
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 04:56:03 pm »
Ahhh! Found the ferry, Thank you so much, Mauron you're the best!

Oh! I see, about the palettes, Interesting! I'm really amazed at how tidy and for lack of a better word, clean, CT is compared to other games of the same era.