Author Topic: Favorite Music/Covers from the series  (Read 2572 times)

Lavos, a one-eyed tick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Yep, that's me. The big one-eyed space tick.
    • View Profile
Favorite Music/Covers from the series
« on: December 22, 2019, 10:32:12 pm »
The music of the Chrono series is one of the greatest joys of it all. Do you have any favorite songs/covers you want to share?
Me myself, I recommend buying Malcolm Robinson's two Chrono Trigger Orchestral Selections albums. Those are worthwhile remasters of 30 of the best CT songs... Sadly I don't think he plans to do Chrono Cross, at least not for a while.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Music/Covers from the series
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 12:25:35 pm »
For me, the hands-down best Chrono album is Cross Symphonic by John Paul Hayward. It really is the epitome of Chrono orchestration -- a real, life orchestra, live vocal choir, etc. I can't stress the amazingness of this album.

As for individual remixes, there are a few that stand out, but I'll share just this one first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F3_AkxennI

Technically it's actually a live rendition, but I love the instrumentation (the instruments chosen - I think the sax was a nice touch, as were the ocarinas).

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 09:00:51 pm »
I'm biased, but I agree with Boo. ;)

Robinson's albums are great, I have all 3 volumes. Someone absolutely worth listening to is Sam Dillard and his Chrono Cinematica and Xenocross albums.  Both are great and totally worth a listen!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 01:40:48 am by CptOvaltine »

Lavos, a one-eyed tick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Yep, that's me. The big one-eyed space tick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 11:20:11 am »
Cross Symphonic, insaneintherain's Millennial Fair, Blake Robinson's, Sam Dillard's, all really great stuff for sure. This reminds me, has anyone backed up the official orchestrations that came out a few months ago on here? Plus there are a few albums not recorded here either, including Malcolm Robinson's (Who's surprisingly unrelated to Blake despite the shared name and also having multiple Chrono Trigger albums, though 2 and not 3 like Blake.), and a few others I could list out.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 01:34:52 pm »
Adding to the list, David Peacock's "Parallelus" album came out around the same time as "Cross Symphonic". Really great stuff.

moonbowmusic has consistently put out some amazing remixes. I've linked one of my favorites.

Another oldie but this cover by an artist who goes by M.H. still gets to me.