Author Topic: Lavos Theme Extended???  (Read 2300 times)

josephbarness

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Lavos Theme Extended???
« on: November 14, 2019, 06:13:37 am »
Does this version actually play at any point in the game? It has an interlude which is very different from the main theme, can be heard at 1:20.

I could have sworn I heard this when playing the SNES version two years ago and trying Ocean Palace Lavos challenge on New Game. Now I search for it in videos with actual gameplay, play the game myself, and can't find it anywhere. Different sources say different things. Someone said it only plays at Ocean Palace battle, which matches with my own memory of it. Chronocompendium's entry says opposite, stating that Ocean Palace battle has the short version, whereas the full version is in a cutscene and "the final battle". The Bucket/Black Omen? Just tried using the bucket, it plays short version (after all of the "attack modes", obviously)

Can someone enlighten me please? Is this version present in the game at all, does it play at any point? If it does, then when? Is it console or region dependent? Does it depend on things you do in-game, such as side quests, etc?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:15:31 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

trig

• Level ** (100)
    • View Profile
Re: Lavos Theme Extended???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 05:38:19 pm »
I've heard it in-game on SNES, DS, and Windows (steam) port of iOS. I only certainly recall hearing it during the Ocean Palace encounter--the one we're expected to lose, where winning it and the rest does a neat thing.

Haven't tested across all the Lavos encounter opportunities, regions, builds, and consoles, but I guess it's based on the way you encounter Lavos: iirc bucketmode is always the short version; Palacemode is supposed to always be this long version. I believe Epochmode (safe arrival instead of crashing--when Epoch has no wings) is always short.

The first part does loop, playing at least twice iirc, before the song reaches the extra bit, so be sure to wait for that...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 04:00:11 pm by trig »

Lavos, a one-eyed tick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Yep, that's me. The big one-eyed space tick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:44:28 am »
I've only heard it on the SNES version via a glitch when running the Black Omen, and when you first see the Day of Lavos video in Arris Dome. On all ports DS and after, the extended version plays fully. The interlude at 1:20 is also a reprise of "The Final Day of the World".

trig

• Level ** (100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 04:22:21 pm »
oh is that a glitch? i thought it was on purpose.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 04:04:56 pm by trig »

Lavos, a one-eyed tick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Yep, that's me. The big one-eyed space tick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 09:55:35 pm »
For the Black Omen? It only played the second half once during the entire Lavos fight.