Author Topic: R.I.P. Akira Toriyama  (Read 377 times)

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
R.I.P. Akira Toriyama
« on: March 08, 2024, 07:45:09 am »
Akira Toriyama has passed away.

The man is a legend but it is immeasurable how much his art was crucial for Chrono Trigger and setting the visual tone of the series. Just looking at the sprite icons and how the pixel art was translated directly from his designs is making me feel some type of way.

Edit: Posted this in the wrong forum.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:46:08 am by Nangbaby »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: R.I.P. Akira Toriyama
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 10:28:44 am »
Came here to post this myself.

I wasn't plugged into Akira Toriyama's work for the most part, but he worked on Chrono Trigger and that was a life-changing game for me, not only because it's one of the best RPGs ever made and inspired me for years but also because the fellow Chrono fans I met on the Internet over the years—mainly here!—ended up shaping the course of my life.

Hat's off for a fellow artist.

rushingwind

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 07:40:40 pm »
Goodness, we lost one of the greats. When I read the news, I came here.

Like Lord J said, Chrono Trigger is a game which, through the people I've met because of it, has changed my life... for the better! For so many reasons, beyond the art and story we all love, I'm so very grateful to the creators of this game.

Thank you, Mr. Toriyama.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 09:38:14 pm »
The world is diminished by Toriyama's passing, but his legacy will stand the test of time.

Pictou

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 11:16:57 pm »
It's no exaggeration to say Akira Toriyama may be the most prolific Manga artist worldwide.
Man, I remember recording newly-dubbed episodes of Dragon Ball when they aired on Toonami, my friends and I were really able to bond over his works. Between that and Chrono Trigger/Dragon Quest, his illustrated worlds were so vivid. RIP.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 01:33:11 am »

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2024, 03:58:39 pm »
This is terrible dreadful news he will truly be missed! 😍🤩⚡💯

I will now go cry a thousand gods of sadness. 😭

A tribute to YOU:  Akira Toriyama.

'and leonardo.ai and generating this under this text for you and all I  and all fans...'

R.I.P. Akira Toriyama. A scene from SNES ChronoTrigger. A tribute to you, my friend. The scene is: Crono in the moment he levitates before Lavos at the Tme Warp in the Hall of the Mammon Machine, turning to stardust as Marle's Pendant lights aglow before his cast, "If only I turn my energy into SPIRIT and Fight! Crono thought...", crumbling, the Mammon Machine Fell to disarray --letting his friends Marley and LUCCA out of the Time Stop. Generator tesseract background of bubbles and ripples opening and closing time gates, Queen Zeal Grand Harlot riding pon Lavos Right Shoulder of his Spikey-CrimsonFlame-shard exterior. The World devourer casts destruction beam from its breath, (Queen Zeal<peacocked about the situation... laughing evilly>: his Eye, you are as nothing but stardust!". The details: ChronoTrigger SNES, Ocean Palace Lavos, Crono. Ray tracing photo-realistic.

Included is the attached image for one of the ones that was generated... "What a perfect world."
I really like the level of symbolism that Leonardo.AI put into the generation of Gaia and the cross of the mammal machine and the Ocean Palace with Cronos Goku( super Saiyan?) lol. AI is fun. 😎

~Z
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 01:52:04 pm by Zakyrus »

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 08:33:22 am »
 :cry: :cry: :cry:

My childhood!

Thank you for shaping it, Akira Toriyama