Author Topic: Any way to change the starting character via hacking?  (Read 1702 times)

MS04

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Not much to see here, just a fan of CT.
    • View Profile
Any way to change the starting character via hacking?
« on: September 14, 2019, 11:35:59 am »
Is there a way to change the character you first take control as in CT? For example, you could start the game with Robo instead of Crono.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Any way to change the starting character via hacking?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:39:42 pm »
In Temporal Flux:

- Go to Locations, select {000} Load Screen and click Events in the sidebar that pops up.
- In the next window, at label [0075] in an unhacked ROM, there's a MemCpy(Mem.PC1, { 00, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80 }). That's the initial party setup. 80 values are empty, 00 is Crono, and the party members go in the order of Crono, Marle, Lucca, Robo, Frog, Ayla, Magus. So for Robo change 00 to 03.

Bonus possible future questions answered:

- At label [00E1], there's a SpecialDlg NameCrono. Changing this will give you a different name screen prompt.
- At label [00E3], there's a ChangeLocation to 1F0. This loads the overworld event scene with the birds and balloons.

Bonus answer to a more obscure question:
- If you download Warrior Workshop from the Temporal Flux plugins thread, opening that from the plugins menu will give you the option to edit character starting stats and stat growth. In the box labeled Hacks, there's a checkbox called "Any character can show ATB settings on first name screen opening." Originally, the active battle mode settings were tied Crono's name screen. Checking this will allow Robo or anyone else to call the menu if you haven't set it before.

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 01:41:32 pm »
The short answer is yes but it also depends where you want him to start, in location 00 'Load Screen'  is a command to go to the 1000 ad world map, you will need to change this to your starting location, then at your starting location in the script object 00  startup/idle add a command that says if storyline <3 add Robo active.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:50:03 pm by IHBP »

Zakyrus

• Entity
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • "Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy... --!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 07:24:54 pm »
Cool! I will document this in the upcoming CT+ tutorial series. (I'll start a side-show video series segments, that'll be between the 'Official Tutorials' i.e. Main stuff I need to cover).

Unfortunately, still trying to find an apartment (should have that worked right by October 1st), so I don't have too much time to work on this as of yet. However, Wednesday, I'll start making/editing Tutorial #0.

~Z