Author Topic: Chrono Cross Perfect File  (Read 3154 times)

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Chrono Cross Perfect File
« on: September 02, 2019, 01:10:04 pm »
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Chrono Cross, I'm finally getting around to replaying it after FAR too many years.

When Chrono Cross was released in America in 2000, I was in my second year of college. I found the time to play it all the way through, and also completed a New Game +. But then "real life" started hitting me hard, and I wasn't able to do another playthrough until 2003 or so. I made a few more attempts over the years, but something always got in the way.

Now that life has calmed down and I have more time on my hands, I want to finally give this wonderful game the attention it deserves. I'm hoping to make a "perfect file" with every character at their personal stat maximums.

So my question is: how do I do this? My understanding is that the stat gain system is designed to steer you toward an average for each level. Can I offset this effect by making sure to fight battles with every character at every star level until they each get their "mini-level," or will good gains one level just mean poor gains next level? Is it even possible to do what I'm trying to do, or is it all down to the whim of RNG?

Also, are there any special tricks to managing my save files? I seem to recall something about keeping an extra, unplayed file at each story branch point and using Continue + to bring everyone in at the lowest possible level, to ensure they're with you for the greatest amount of stars. Am I misremembering this, or is there something to it?

Lastly, what should I do with Pip? I remember him being extremely buggy and that he had to be handled in a very specific way to keep him from being permanently broken at level 99.

I'm really looking forward to finally being able to devote my full attention to this amazing game as I replay it after all these years, and I want to do it right!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Perfect File
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 03:54:44 am »
I can't really help with any of those questions...since I have no idea! haha

But I do want to cheer you on and share in the excitement! I love this game, and it always puts a grin on my face to see someone else enjoying it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 10:13:13 am »
I will say that you will have to play through the game 3 times to get every single character. There are two instances of storyline branches, and in each one you can only receive certain characters.

With New Game+ you can choose to "inherit" the previously acquired characters from your previous play through, but this isn't possible unless you actually do the New Game+ option and beat the game. Multiple saves won't allow this.

As for stat growth, someone more knowledgeable than I will have to weigh in. Each character gains stat growth for each star, and then a few bonus stats for each character with a dozen or so battles for each star. Like you recommended, using each character until they no longer gain stat growth between each new star will allow for maximum stat growth. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure what other options there are to unsure a perfect stat game.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:29:21 pm »
Utunnels did some research on the stat growth a long time back. It's honestly still a bit confusing to me...

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=8466.msg190514#msg190514

Best of luck to getting a perfect file! Sounds like a great way to relive your old experiences with the game.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 05:21:41 pm »
Thanks for the responses, everyone! Although it seems I overestimated my free time; I'm only up to Viper Manor so far.  :o

However, I was able to get the Iron Vest from the dragon-feeding minigame for the first time ever. Got it on my first attempt, even! That, along with some lucky steals of Copper Swallows from Gobledygooks on the way up the cliffs, means my party is extremely over-geared.

My theory for the low-level thing was that I could play through and beat the game normally (ending up at ★48 if I remember correctly), which opens up Continue +. Then I could copy that data onto my previous saves and choose differently at each branch point, e.g., refusing Kid at Cape Howl so that I get Leena instead (ugh...), immediately go and beat the final boss, use that data for the next branch point, and so on... Beating as few bosses as possible until I have everyone on one file. Then it would be a matter of keeping an extra save file right before a boss and gaming the Continue + system to max everyone out with mini-levels.

I have no idea if this plan will actually succeed, though. I could very well be mistaken about how the Continue + system works.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:07:14 pm »
It seems to me that you'll need to make some sort of spread sheet to keep everything straight.  There are quite a few branching points that could result in a dozen or so saves... sounds like a headache! haha  Best of luck!