Author Topic: Did the events of Dream's Epilogue create a non-amnesiac split?  (Read 1917 times)

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
 I have been mulling over the events and dialogue between Magus, Schala, and the party in the Dream's Epilogue ending. Particularly, I'm thinking about something Schala said to the party before sending them all away.

dwell not on this.

Originally, I was under the impression that she had wiped their memory, since many sources erroneously claim she did this to future!Magus (Rather, he did this to himself.) On seeing it again, I am highly doubtful she wipes anyone's memories here, merely asking them not to dwell upon it.

Honestly, this seems to gel better with Lucca in particular, but more to the point: What happens if party!Magus is there to witness the failure of his future self? Does he adjust accordingly? Has his life's mission changed from searching for Schala to freeing her?

I find this very curious, as it may imply that Guile has something of a Schrodinger's memory: unless something canon is stated or shown in the future, Guile both is and is not amnesiac! (how fitting for someone named after a cat in the Japanese version)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 07:54:49 pm by Captain B »

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Did the events of Dream's Epilogue create a non-amnesiac split?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 10:01:15 pm »
In Chronopolise there is an audio log of Kid, Magil (Magus), and Serge from a 3rd unexplored reality.  It is also a direct quote from a scene in Radical Dreamers, suggesting that there are not two, but several differing realities out there.  This also implies that Radical Dreamers is not just a CC prototype, but a full canon entry into the Chrono universe.

I believe there is a split at some point, but not in the way you are thinking.  In one reality, Magus erases his memory and becomes Guile in CC as implied in the epilogue with the Dream Devourer.  In the other, he becomes Magil and exists in the Radical Dreamer's reality.

Lavos, a one-eyed tick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Yep, that's me. The big one-eyed space tick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 12:51:04 pm »
I don't believe there is any proof that Guile is both amnesiac and not, but I like Sheiken's explanation of things. Multiple realities - One where Magus sees himself, and changes, thus Radical Dreamers, the other, he doesn't, thus memory wipe and Chrono Cross. I'm probably brutally oversimplifying it but that's what I get from this.

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 03:54:00 pm »
I don't believe there is any proof that Guile is both amnesiac and not, but I like Sheiken's explanation of things. Multiple realities - One where Magus sees himself, and changes, thus Radical Dreamers, the other, he doesn't, thus memory wipe and Chrono Cross. I'm probably brutally oversimplifying it but that's what I get from this.

Not over simplified at all really.  It even makes sense the way you unlock the Dimensional Vortex.  You beat the game, then reload the file.  Magus from the first time is the one you encounter, as he is from the timeline where Magus was defeated.  Crono and crew then enter the vortex and see him fail, making that reloaded save file the Radical Dreamers reality.

The only wrench that can be thrown in is if you killed Magus, but I always considered that a non canon outcome personally.  Even so, there is nothing saying that there cannot be a 3rd reality either.  The Dimensional Vortex would just not be linked to your first fight against Lavos is all.

Lavos, a one-eyed tick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Yep, that's me. The big one-eyed space tick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 10:10:04 pm »
I have honestly never killed Magus, and I believe it to be non-canon, even though the PSX ending shows Glenn back to normal. But there are as many realities as there are observers, Doreen once told me.

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:37:53 pm »
I have never killed him either.  It just seems out of character for even Frog to finish him off when it is revealed that he is Janus, and all this time he was actually trying to kill Lavos.  Frog could still hate what he did, but knowing the whole story killing him would have been pure cold blooded revenge.  I just don't see him doing it.

As far as Frog being human goes, nothing saying Magus does not lift the curse off screen.  No reason to keep him a Frog after working together to achieve a common goal afterall.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 11:40:57 pm »
Just because one Magus does not lose his memory does not mean that leads to Radical Dreamers.
Considering the additional theorization for that game, it would be rather presumptuous.

There are as many worlds as there are potentialities.

Sheiken

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 05:30:14 am »
Just because one Magus does not lose his memory does not mean that leads to Radical Dreamers.
Considering the additional theorization for that game, it would be rather presumptuous.

There are as many worlds as there are potentialities.

Which I take as, in one world Magus lost his memory and became Guile and in another, he did not and became Magil.  It just makes the most sense.

Also I cannot see how two different versions of Magus from two different timelines can become one person.  For every different change in potential, there is a new timeline.  In this case that change in potential would be Magus seeing himself fail vs Magus going through with his actions and actually failing.  One timeline became Chrono Cross and the other became Radical Dreamers in my eyes.