Author Topic: Did Belthasar Plan Project Kid?  (Read 21696 times)

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Did Belthasar Plan Project Kid?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2005, 08:39:23 pm »
Quote from: AuraTwilight
HOWEVER, I thought the Dragonians and Humans went into war with each other, and the Dragonians lost, henceforth the Dragonians being more or less absent in El Nido, leaving only ruins of their civilization?

No, they were friends for a while. The Dragonians died out naturally (or maybe FATE had a hand in it, who knows?)

The Humans and Dragonians were friends? What evidence do we have of this? And if that was really the case, why then did their robots in Fort Dragonia attack you if the Dragonians believed that Humanity was their friend? Because their robots didn't have very advanced AI and were just programmed to attack intruders?

Quote from: AuraTwilight
What I don't understand is, why would Serge's contact with the Frozen Flame block FATE off from it? What does the Frozen Flame have to do in relation to FATE? It's more than simply a power source, is it not? In addition, what's this "Arbiter" I keep hearing about?

You said you played CC three times, and you're asking these questions?

Thanks for bearing with me. ^^; My memory's still quite rusty.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2005, 09:43:32 pm »
Quote from: Shadow_Dragon
Belthasar apparently had FATE as a supercomputer. Now that I think about it, the name 'FATE' could've been created for a job of predicting people's actions and decisions, and thus fate before FATE had the purpose of controlling fate to keep the human race alive.

So, my interpretation is that Belthasar could use FATE to simulate his actions; he could see what would happen if he let the flame pull Chronopolis back in time instead of doing something to counteract it (or did he send it back without the flame?), and that the planet would respond, and so on...

Even if he couldn't use FATE to predict his actions, he could still use the Neo-Epoch to change 'tweak' history as some people have mentioned.

It is remotely possible that Belthasar could use the FATE supercomputer to predict 10,000 years of human history with 100% accuracy.  FATE also has some rudimentary understanding of the Frozen Flame and succeeded in conquering the Dragon God supercomputer.  But I do not believe that FATE is able to comprehend, let alone manipulate, the transcendent, multidimensional intelligences of Lavos, the Time Devourer, or the Planet.

It is possible that Belthasar used the Neo-Epoch to tweak history, but he only mentions time traveling to 1020 AD to check on the success of Project Kid.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2005, 10:13:11 pm »
@ Zenning - It's stated in the game that the Dragonians and Humans later became well nuteral. Like how the Demi-Humans (Some thought to be descendants of Dragonians) are a bit hostile to the humans. Fort Dragonia was built especially for the Dragonians to do their religious rituals and sacrafices. The Robots there are probably there to keep intruders out.

@Gray -
If Belthasar had told or even asked FATE about anything to do with the 10,000 years, then FATE would have already known what Belthasar was up to, and using FATE. FATE is like destined to die by the hands of Serge. IF Belthasar planned this and FATE helped, then FATE would know. Besides the point that FATE is aware of itself and basically is human in thought power, just not body like.
I don't remember it saying anywhere that Belthasar used FATE to tell him the outline of time. Simply to make sure that NO ONE INTERFERED with El Nido and so no one from El Nido would go to Zenan and make sure that FATE is never created. And by that last statement, it seems Belthasar guesses that it could happen, which means he's not truely psychic but used simple logic.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2005, 10:43:15 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking
If Belthasar had told or even asked FATE about anything to do with the 10,000 years, then FATE would have already known what Belthasar was up to, and using FATE. FATE is like destined to die by the hands of Serge. IF Belthasar planned this and FATE helped, then FATE would know. Besides the point that FATE is aware of itself and basically is human in thought power, just not body like.

I don't remember it saying anywhere that Belthasar used FATE to tell him the outline of time. Simply to make sure that NO ONE INTERFERED with El Nido and so no one from El Nido would go to Zenan and make sure that FATE is never created. And by that last statement, it seems Belthasar guesses that it could happen, which means he's not truely psychic but used simple logic.

Belthasar designed and built FATE.  Could not Belthasar have hidden FATE's true mission from its conscious awareness?  A human being is conscious, but it is not aware of the inner workings of its mind.  The Prometheus Circuit is part of FATE, but it is hidden from FATE's consciousness.

FATE may also have been aware of Project Kid in its entirety, and knowingly fullfilled its mission as planned by Belthasar.  Just because FATE acted like a renegade computer, doesn't actually mean it was one.

The plot of Chrono Cross is composed of wheels within wheels.

Dark Saint

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://allrpg.com
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2005, 05:43:30 am »
Originally posted by V_Translanka

Okay, over at Chrono Shock, someone just told me that they don't believe that, and in fact think that the idea is complete BS, Belthasar planned out the events of CC...

Wow. I never thought you'd be so quick to the gun to jump to conclusions and seek help before even trying to understand what I wrote. But hey, let's try again now, slower this time: "I no say he no do it - I say it should have been impossible for him to do it."

And as for the character development bit, I'd rather ask both you and Lord J esque to discuss this with me at Chrono Shock, so to not mix up all the - well, subjects in just this thread. Lord J esque, feel free to repost your initial post in this thread over at the CS forum by copy/pasting it, if you will of course.

Originally posted by Rabid Joe

It's really pretty much impossible to have planned everything out in this way, manipulating all those god-like entities (The Planet, Fate, Time Devourer, The Dragon Gods). It requires a hefty amount of suspension of disbelief, and really, I think it was just a dumb plot twist.

Which was my precise, overlooked point at CS.

Originally posted by Sentenal

Hes a nut case. Belthasar didn't plan out the exact events, he made an outline that would eventually reach his goal. That is explicit.

Right. So, moving on to actual facts, let's dig in:

In CC, we eventually learn and are supposed to believe that all of the events that take place throughout CC, as well as another 10,000 years of human history, were predicted and planned out by ONE man – Belthasar.

So in essence, this would imply that he’s so amazingly smart and elite, that he could predict the future actions of not one, not two, but three different deities —Lavos, Earth and the Time Devourer (and Schala, if you want to count her as a deity)— and plan out ten millenia worth of history to his convenience, only so that one insignificant child could get his hands on the Chrono Cross – which, by the way, didn’t even exist to begin with, so we’re also expected to digest that he even planned out its very creation (as in, something that had no chances of existing, just popped up in his head one day and voila!, ze CC waz made).

It’s one thing to be a genius; it’s a whole different thing to be near omniscient. A bevy of the things he “planned out” were simply impossible. Take, for instance, the fact that he had absolutely no authority in Home World, where at least six years of major events took place - therefore figuring out the 'patterns' there and then merging them to his plans simply isn’t possible. Yet according to the “Time Crash”, he supposedly predicted things that were completely out of his very timeline, beyond all chances of his learning about them for them to even be a part of his "grand plan".

Pfft, what a load of (yes, I repeat) BS.

Originally posted by ZeaLitY

Those are the big points; easy enough to plan that when you have the greatest supercomputer ever created at your disposal.

Nay, you're wrong. He didn't have the "greatest supercomputer" at his disposal. It's made explicitly clear that he only laid the foundations for the time research facility known as Chronopolis with his own Time Research Laboratory. Yet he NEVER got to use his prized super-computer, FATE, because he disappeared sometime around 2,300 A.D., whereas FATE wasn't completed --through the reparation, alteration and reprogramming of the old Mother Brain-- until 2,400 A.D.

Originally posted by Sentenal

What Zeality said. I personally think he took a gamble with a few events. But its explicit in the game that Belthasar DID plan out the events, arguing otherwise is absurd.

Dude, seriously, you've missed the point so many times already that it's getting annoying. I never said that he "didn't", but rather that the idea that we as gamers are supposed to buy into the BS of his planification of everything is absolutely preposteruous, because of everything that said plans represent or imply.

Originally posted by Chrono '99

Moreover, he might not even have needed to predict some of the events. With his Neo-Epoch, he could just have change time, go to the future to see what are the consequences, then go back to the past and change some other details, etc.

If memory serves me right, it was explained in the very game that the Neo-Epoch could only be used once - thus the 'to and fro' travels are a no-no.

Originally posted by Rabid Joe

Yes, I know that in the game that Belthasar planned everything. I just happen to think that it was a stupid move on the story writer's part.

As I think also, hence my arguments.

Originally posted by Zenning

Being warped to the future, Belthasar had the opportunity to study all of the history that had gone on before, and thus, plan to rewrite history. The man had a lot of time, and a lot of intellect. All three factors coupled together, is what made it possible.

Yet even taking only that much into consideration, it's still only one timeline. What about the rest that are crucial to his plans?

Originally posted by V_Translanka

And that I still haven't been back for a rebuttle or anything...so...yeah, I was basing it on the post where DS says that the theory is BS, not that post where DS basically kind of tries to weasle out of it by saying that Belthasar only 'supposedly' planned it out...

I didn't try to weasle out of anything. Don't try to save face of your mistakes - it's very puerile of you to do so, especially behind my back as if believing that I wouldn't follow the link to this site that I believe you gave me.

And as proof that I wasn't "weasling out of it", I can easily offer links to other sites in which I've argued the exact same point with different people, who are way more responsible and mature than you've proven yourself to be. Hell, I dare you to ask for the links - or would you rather disappear from me again?

Now to respond to the three following all at once...
Originally posted by Shadow_Dragon

Belthasar apparently had FATE as a supercomputer. Now that I think about it, the name 'FATE' could've been created for a job of predicting people's actions and decisions, and thus fate before FATE had the purpose of controlling fate to keep the human race alive.

So, my interpretation is that Belthasar could use FATE to simulate his actions; he could see what would happen if he let the flame pull Chronopolis back in time instead of doing something to counteract it (or did he send it back without the flame?), and that the planet would respond, and so on...

Even if he couldn't use FATE to predict his actions, he could still use the Neo-Epoch to change 'tweak' history as some people have mentioned.

Originally posted by GreyLansman

It is remotely possible that Belthasar could use the FATE supercomputer to predict 10,000 years of human history with 100% accuracy. FATE also has some rudimentary understanding of the Frozen Flame and succeeded in conquering the Dragon God supercomputer. But I do not believe that FATE is able to comprehend, let alone manipulate, the transcendent, multidimensional intelligences of Lavos, the Time Devourer, or the Planet.

It is possible that Belthasar used the Neo-Epoch to tweak history, but he only mentions time traveling to 1020 AD to check on the success of Project Kid.

Belthasar designed and built FATE. Could not Belthasar have hidden FATE's true mission from its conscious awareness? A human being is conscious, but it is not aware of the inner workings of its mind. The Prometheus Circuit is part of FATE, but it is hidden from FATE's consciousness.

FATE may also have been aware of Project Kid in its entirety, and knowingly fullfilled its mission as planned by Belthasar.

Nope, Belthasar didn't have FATE, because as I said somewhere above, it was completed about 100 years after he disappeared in the future.

And FATE's main purpose in El Nido --which was its entire reach-- was just to influence people's actions, but not entirely control them.

As for the Neo-Epoch, I reiterate that it is said that he could only use it once, for whatever reason.

Just because FATE acted like a renegade computer, doesn't actually mean it was one.

I agree; it eventually turns out that FATE was actually on the human's side, in its own way.

And with that, I defend myself, even though V-Translanka didn't have the marbles to give me said chance, or face me directly. Oh and, cool place by the way.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2005, 12:24:31 pm »
What other forums have you argued this at? I'd like to know, as I maintain a list of the entire Chrono community for my own machinations.

Dark Saint

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://allrpg.com
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2005, 12:55:38 pm »
Originally posted by ZeaLitY

What other forums have you argued this at? I'd like to know, as I maintain a list of the entire Chrono community for my own machinations.

In this thread at AvalancheOnline is where I most recently --over the span of about 8 months ago to the present point in time-- argued some of the points discussed in this very thread. At AvalancheOnline I go under the username Executioner, as evinced in this other thread in the same forums.

And also all over AllRPG, where I've found the most knowledgable and wittiest Chrono series debaters (such as King Zeal, LagDragon, Ice/Dreamless, TD, King Chrono, etc.), and where I learned most of what I know today. The group mentioned in the parenthesis was even called, at one point, the CSNP - Chrono Series Newbie Patrol, and they all gave their best since the very release of CC to analyze, research and discuss all of its elements, be it its mechanics, technical aspects, plot, characters, and so on.

I've also argued at other sites like PGNx.net, Legacy Nexus/Comic Legacy, and so on - Dark Saint and Fear being two of my handles.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2005, 01:31:57 pm »
Can't Belthasar of called up his homie Gaspar? >_> That would solve everything.

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2005, 02:06:14 pm »
If Schala actually fell into a time-portal in CT and appeared in 1007 or w/e, it's possible she came out and left some kind of mark for Belthasar to notice in the future and recognize as Schala's doing, just as he could probably recognize that the electrical storm was her doing. However, Schala's creating the electrical storm was a result of the Time Crash, so Belthasar in 2300 woud only know about Schala's possibly leaving a mark when she popped up in 1007 without any person like Serge to make an electrical storm for, but Belthasar in Viper's Manor would recognize what happened, but he wouldn't really need to recognize it since he recognized Schala's original 'scar' in time and altered time so that she'd save serge.

Ok, so I was wrong about using FATE as a super-computer. If someone who knows nothing about human nature throws unleashes a bomb in USA, they'd have no clue that the US would most definitely retaliate (they'd probably bomb the middle east, but that's another topic, and no, I'm not saying that as a bashing of Bush since the majority of citizens would probably want it). Now, someone who has has studied history and knows how humans react will realize what the consequences would be. Now, if it's possible to predict the acts of a country or nation, how much different is it to predict the acts of Lavos, the entity, and Schala? I'd understand why 'manipulating' (I use the term lightly because every action 'manipulates' someone else into his/her actions) the Time Devourer would be a bit too complicated, since it's supposedly a multi-dimensional being, but, as far as I remember, the TD doesn't actually do anything to affect any timeline and just sits there waiting to be able to devour stuff. Now, the dragon gods and stuff act as agents of the TD, but they're not multi-dimensional...

It does seem a bit far-fetched to be able to predict 10,000 years of history, but Belthasar is the guru of time for a reason. Do you think someone capable of building 2 time machines has the same mental capacity that we're used to? For all we know, predicting 10,000 years of history could be simple. As far as I can imagine, predicitng 10,000 years of history must be insanely easier than building a time-machine.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2005, 05:19:20 pm »
Hah! I'm going to search for their topics, provided they still exist. I hope they do, since it would be a pity for the "most knowledgable and witty" Chrono series theorists to have their work wasted by forum pruning. Oh, this will be excellent. The Compendium was founded upon analysis. Hopefully, if they still exist, they will come here. The knuckles have been cracked.

By the way, I noticed in that other thread that you remarked Chrono Cross was full of plot holes. If you still hold that view, would you care to share some? Chrono'99, stand by with the couple minor ones you've found until a response is given.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2005, 05:25:23 pm »
I've found one post called "Chrono Connections," but that seems to be it for the entire RPG Discussion forum. Don't tell me my worries about pruning are true!

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2005, 05:32:48 pm »
Belthasar was the Guru of REASON, not time.

Okay, I think I understand what you were saying now.  You were saying that you think the idea that Belthasar being able to do that would be impossible.  Well, it is far-fetched.  So is the use of magic, and time traveling.  But its part of the series.  I took it as you didn't believe that Belthasar didn't do it at all.

And I'm going to track down the quote about the Neo-Epoch, because I don't remmber that.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2005, 05:36:07 pm »
From my intial search, the only place in the Script where I found "Neo Epoch", was this:
I created a compact time machine that I dubbed the "Neo Epoch." I used it to time warp to this age to learn of Chronopolis and FATE's plans, and to see how things were turning out.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2005, 05:52:20 pm »
There are a few others, but they don't reveal anything else:

Quote from: Quotes
Luccia:
   Vot is dis?
   The technology is amazing...
   It is definitely not
   of dis world.

Luccia:
   Actually...
   I have heard one of my
   colleagues talking about
   something very
   similar to dis.
   About a vehicle dat can
   travel through time.
   If dat is true, den
   dat means someone from
   the past or future may be
   here, in the present.

Member:
   What is this thing?
   How did it end up in here?

Member:
   This is one strange ship...
   Could it belong to that old man?

Starky:
   Woooooow! Amaazing!
   It still does not measure
   up to our technology, thoough.

Starky:
   Is this an
   antiprooton driive?
   A deevice that maakes
   tiime travel possible?
   It can't bee...
   EEven our technology
   hasn't advanced this far...

Zenning

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2005, 05:53:48 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
From my intial search, the only place in the Script where I found "Neo Epoch", was this:
I created a compact time machine that I dubbed the "Neo Epoch." I used it to time warp to this age to learn of Chronopolis and FATE's plans, and to see how things were turning out.

Yes, and it doesn't say anything about being one-way, either, or about Kid using it, for that matter.