Author Topic: The Nu in the Forest Ruins  (Read 1308 times)

NimmerStill

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
The Nu in the Forest Ruins
« on: January 03, 2020, 04:01:38 pm »
The usual apologies, and request for links, if this has been answered before in the forums or in the encyclopedia...

In CT, when you access the Forest Ruins/Sealed Pyramid in 1000 A.D., after giving you whichever treasure you choose, the Nu says:

13,000 years was a long time.
   Belthasar, I shall see you shortly...

This presumably means that this is the Nu that you meet in Belthasar's Keeper's Dome in 2300 A.D. Presumably this Nu was already Belthasar's assistant in 12000 B.C., whom Belthasar had programmed in some way and locked in the Sealed Pyramid.

But how could the Nu at this point know that Belthasar would end up in 2300 A.D.? Even given all the forethought and planning that Belthasar is able to do in various other timelines, by all accounts his initial travel to 2300 A.D. was completely accidental and sudden, and I do not get how either he or his Nu could have forseen it. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:04:23 pm by NimmerStill »

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: The Nu in the Forest Ruins
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 09:53:32 pm »
The pyramid is presumably still sealed up when you first meet the robotic Nu in the Keeper's Dome, so I always figured they had to be different Nu.

I took "Belthasar, I shall see you shortly..." to mean the Nu assumed Belthasar had long since died and it would soon be joining him.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 11:23:14 pm »
I'll admit it seemed easy to think it was the same Nu. However...

The pyramid is presumably still sealed up when you first meet the robotic Nu in the Keeper's Dome, so I always figured they had to be different Nu.

This is the answer.

The way time travel works in CT is that there's no predestination paradox. So the Nu being already there in Keeper's Dome before the party has the ability to unlock the pyramid means they can't be the same one. Do remember the six Nu's fight in one of Belthasar's hidden rooms. This shows he had more than one Nu at his disposal, reinforcing the fact they could be different ones. If the robot-like characteristics of the Keeper's Dome Nu didn't already imply Belthasar likely built it during his stay in the Future. Which, I'll also admit, also didn't cross my mind until now.

---

Also, I have to admit it also makes sense if the pyramid Nu's statement referred more to... well, joining him in the afterlife. Do note the Sealed Palace was, well, sealed long before the Fall of Zeal. The Nu may have been able to keep track of the time; but unless it knew what was happening outside, then even without the Fall of Zeal, Belthasar would have been long gone regardless (let's put aside the fact he was working on the Epoch), dying of old age. Not an unreasonable assumption for the Nu to make.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:33:30 pm by Acacia Sgt »

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »
 :?
Oh why i not any think that??