Author Topic: Best PS1 emulator to play Chrono Cross on?  (Read 1859 times)

StockBeat

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Best PS1 emulator to play Chrono Cross on?
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:20:12 pm »
I own Chrono Cross physically, but I want to play it on an emulator so that I can use cheat codes to do a few things (I don't own a PS1 Gameshark). What's the best emulator to use? I tried ePSXe, but it's a little choppy sometimes, and the FMVs look super JPEG-y. I tried messing with the settings, and I think I broke it. It's even worse now, and I have no idea how to "reset" it. Even if I delete the emulator and all it's files, and redownload a fresh one, it somehow still has the settings I entered previously. So, I guess that one's a bust. (I am not tech-savvy in the slightest, in case you couldn't guess.) Is there another, possibly better, PS1 emulator I could use that runs Chrono Cross extremely well, and allows the use of cheat codes?

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: Best PS1 emulator to play Chrono Cross on?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 12:37:46 pm »
Remember that CC is ~20 years old at this point. The FMVs are low-resolution (probably around DVD resolution, 480p, which was considered pretty good at the time) and heavily compressed--they're going to look kind of blocky on modern equipment no matter what you do.

The emulator probably stored its settings in your user directory, possibly in a hidden file. Without knowing what operating system you're using, I can't tell you exactly where that is, but Google probably can.

As for which emulator to use, you're going to get a lot of different answers. PCSX-Reloaded might be one to try if you don't like how ePSXe performs. Keep in mind, though, that if you're playing directly from the game CDs, the "choppiness" you're seeing may be due to the game having to stop and read something from the optical drive--changing emulators won't fix that.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 03:29:43 am »
ePSXe on a powerful enough PC does alright, but yeah definitely rip the CD to an iso and use a virtual drive. That'll cut load times WAY down, and if you get a better Solid State Drive, thatll help too.

StockBeat

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 01:08:27 am »
I am using an iso though (I wasn't even aware playing the actual game disc on an emulator was a thing you could do).

Well, I think I can get used to the occasional choppiness, but one thing that's really annoying is how my monitor will go to sleep while I'm playing (I'm using a PS3 USB controller instead of the keyboard) and I have to bump my mouse every few minutes to stop that from happening. I don't recall that being a problem with any other emulator I've used (then again, I don't play games on emulators often). Is there a way to configure it to stop this from happening?

(And sorry for bumping a month old thread. I completely forgot about these threads I had here.)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:09:14 am by StockBeat »

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 03:36:29 am »
Yeah, turn off your screensaver, ya didnt know windows could do that?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 01:42:06 pm »
In the device manager, you can see if your PS3 controller has an option to keep the computer out of sleep mode. I forget exactly what it's called.

StockBeat

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 04:43:07 am »
Yeah, turn off your screensaver, ya didnt know windows could do that?
Well yeah, that's an option, but it'd be rather tedious to disable it every time I want to play something on it, and then re-enable it when I'm done, no?

In the device manager, you can see if your PS3 controller has an option to keep the computer out of sleep mode. I forget exactly what it's called.
I can't seem to find an option for that anywhere. I looked in the device manager, found "HID-compliant game controller", but it only seems to give me details about it (which is all moonspeak to me), not any options for anything.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 05:46:24 am »
Double click "HID-compliant game controller", and go to Power Management. There will be a checkbox labeled "allow this device to wake the computer from sleep mode". If it's unchecked, check it. If it's disabled, you won't be able to use that device to keep the computer out of sleep mode.

StockBeat

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 10:30:39 pm »
I don't see a "Power Management" option though..

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 04:36:07 am »

What does this screen look like to you? I used my mouse as an example.

StockBeat

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 03:13:57 pm »
Sorry for the late reply. This is all I see when I click on HID-compliant game controller:

https://i.imgur.com/FOdl4vu.png

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 04:16:19 pm »
Darn, it must not have the option. Your best bet is to keep moving the mouse.