Author Topic: Project Valenguard: A retro MMO with a Chrono Trigger live action Tech combat!  (Read 12368 times)

unenergizer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
I do often actually think about how SSL works--you can blame that on the prof who taught my Networks course some twenty years ago, who went over it in detail. In the end, SSL is good for encrypting information in transit but poor at proving identity (because that part relies on the honesty and competence of certificate authorities, and many of them aren't either of those things, really), and trying to make it do both was not smart. We're all stuck with the fallout now, though.
I understand where you are coming from and I agree that cert creator could be at fault. With the client/server program we actually create the cert dynamically and each user gets a new on per login.  We had initially used ISAAC to do the encryption but found that Java directly supported a SSL implementation that is recommended. I still believe it is worth doing additional research to keep peoples accounts safe. Since the game is mobile friendly it would be ideal to have the current best battle tested encryption in the game.  So that if this was to ever get big we could all be playing at a game con or something somewhere and know our details wont get stolen. Life goals :)

You don't appear to be doing a bad job. Security is always a tightrope walk between user convenience and keeping the bad guys out. I'm not a security analyst, and I'm not familiar with your specific forum software, so I have no business telling you how high off the ground to put your tightrope, or whether the rope itself should be hemp or nylon.  ;)
I'm not a security analyst either but I do want the best hemp rope we can find, maaaaannn. lol

Might also be worth looking at how the original effects were implemented if you haven't already (should be Mode 7 graphics for the more complex ones, and that's simpler than any flavour of OpenGL--you have more patience than I do if you're going to be dealing with that directly).

I have been reading the book and doing a lot of research.

Here is an example of an effect in chrono trigger. To get the spinning background layer to move across the star and not be visible outside of the star, I believe they used a buffer depth test.  I have been able to reproduce the effect, minus the spinning star.

Here is both CT and my buffer depth test examples. The CT example is playing at 1/2 game speed.

Video: https://youtu.be/dYDfY-kPAaw?t=707
NOTE: Make sure to play video at 1080p to see the bg layer swapping happening correctly at full fps. Otherwise it will look really bad.

Notice how in the CT example the background over the star does not effect any other sprite or any other background layer. In my example, we do the same thing, but instead we are running a background over two shapes.  This particular effect will allow us to reproduce many examples within CT.  :)

As I discover and learn new techniques, I will continue to post side by side comparisons of the technique. Their may be little to no polish in these examples. I will save all polish for when it is actually needed in the dev cycle.

Also if anyone has additional info on how CT effects are achieved, let me know :) Any help in this region could possible point me in the right direction. However good help or not, each effect will be reproduced and will be given our own flare. No direct CT copies will be found.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:00:35 pm by unenergizer »

To4oo4

• Porrean (+50)
  • Again, the bitter black winds begin to howl.
    • View Profile
The dictionary is unsatisfactory for describing how amazing this looks and for how excited this makes me. The best of luck to you.

unenergizer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
@everyone GAME UPDATE:

We are looking to have our first open alpha test to all players on Friday, May 31st!

There will be a limited number of content. The aim of this test is to find and patch bugs. The server and client may crash. We are counting on you guys to help us find issues so we can fix them!  We look forward to playing with all of you on our first game!

Alpha testers will get their names put in the credits of the game and will receive an Alpha Badge on their profiles.  These badges will only be given out one time!

If you want to talk about this or have any questions, please post them in the #general-chat section on our discord server! :smiley:

https://discord.gg/xQRDZYe

p.s. The main focus of this test is to make sure our networking code is stable and all of our game systems are functional for a variety of people on different connections.
p.s.s. The alpha test will not have party techs yet.  Once our combat system has been tested, we will add the party combat system.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:26:26 pm by unenergizer »

unenergizer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Alright guys, its been awhile since I have posted here. Want to give all of you an update.

Today I just signed a contract with a pixel artist to begin work on improving the graphics and getting us something a lot closer in detail to Chrono Trigger and FF 3. Not only that I am in contact with some musicians to create/compose original music for the game.  Once I have the new graphics for the world and new character graphics, I will being building the world and hopefully get to the tech system soon. It has taken several months to figure out how to make that system work on multiplayer and to keep it challenging and engaging, but I think I found a sweet spot in functionality to make it all work out.

I will update you guys again soon when their is something cool to show off.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Awesome! I am glad to hear this project is still advancing and continuing.

Please do keep us updated!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Alright guys, its been awhile since I have posted here. Want to give all of you an update.

Today I just signed a contract with a pixel artist to begin work on improving the graphics and getting us something a lot closer in detail to Chrono Trigger and FF 3. Not only that I am in contact with some musicians to create/compose original music for the game.  Once I have the new graphics for the world and new character graphics, I will being building the world and hopefully get to the tech system soon. It has taken several months to figure out how to make that system work on multiplayer and to keep it challenging and engaging, but I think I found a sweet spot in functionality to make it all work out.

I will update you guys again soon when their is something cool to show off.

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) where this all goes! :)

unenergizer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Here is an update on the graphics.

You can find the progress pictures here: https://forgestorm.com/game_images/game_art/

Currently the artist is working on interior art which should be finished in the next day or two. Today I signed the next contract to get him to work on exterior tiles. Once that is completed we will sign another contract to start on medieval building artwork.

The main plan is to get a small demo up of the new graphics and allow people to get in the game and run around. Test out features, find bugs, etc. I told him our target date to get something up and running for a limited week test was in mid October.

The combat/tech systems are not yet implemented because that is the hardest thing to make. Due to the way party sizes are, for each additional character in a party, a huge set of techs have to be designed.  If you take the techs that exist now in CT, they are for a party of 3 players. If the game added more players to a party the number of unique techs to create goes up.  For us wanting to make a party of at least 5 people, it creates a huge number of techs to design.  Ideally... we come up with a way to do some kind of automated system that will design a tech based on party size and player class. This is not easy to design and is the biggest challenge. So if anyone has ideas I'm all ears :)

Alright guys I'm signing off for now. Will be back in a few weeks to drop some more news. Check out the image and the link to see the images. Post your feedback and I will get to it asap!

Cheers!

EDIT: All artwork is Copyright (C) Robert Andrew Brown 2019. (that's me)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:52:13 pm by unenergizer »

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
:O Nudists!

Looking good. Keep it up.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Damn that looks great! Your artist is doing a wonderful job and you're doing great with this project!

unenergizer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
:O Nudists!

Looking good. Keep it up.

Nuidists? Where!  :lol:

Chrono Trigger is a master piece and I don't think I can replicate such a complicated and wonderful story. However it would be cool to make something kinda similar right? And since were all adults now, I think we can stomach a bit more mature subject matter. I mean, the "Witcher 3" has some straight up nuidty going on. Ours is more for laughs. :)

Damn that looks great! Your artist is doing a wonderful job and you're doing great with this project!

Thank you! The code has slowed down a little bit as we wait for the artists to get some work done. Once they have landscape and buildings done, we can implement the new graphics into the game and continue to refine how it all comes together.  The new character models are modeled after Chrono and we are looking to get similar, not exact copies, but similar animations in for the tech system.  The art is expensive and takes time to create, but it is well worth the effort and money.

Plans:
Collect additional art assets to get some basic maps up and running.
Create professions to put non-combat content in the game.
Create a few basic single player tech moves. (no team based techs yet)
Create a private demo that will let you play to a max character and professions level of 20.
Collect bug reports and fix those over and over.
Rinse and repeat.
Then once you guys and my community and a few close friends in the industry say it has enough polish, then we attempt to do a Kickstarter. However, Kickstarter ONLY when their is a stable playable game, this way, people know that their money is being used wisely! Our team doesn't want to be on one of those "Kickstarter Fails/Scams" youtube videos :O
We want to instill complete confidence in our community of friends and gamers!

Anyhow, if anyone has questions, please ask :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:12:10 pm by unenergizer »

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Everything is looking great! Obviously one of Triggers selling points is the OST.  What kind of music do you have planned for the game?

unenergizer

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Everything is looking great! Obviously one of Triggers selling points is the OST.  What kind of music do you have planned for the game?

That's a good question. I have done a lot of research on this particular topic.  Their are several different approaches to bringing music into a game.

Some are..
Let the music in your head inspire the graphics and the game writing
Let the graphics of the game establish a mood and create music to match/enhance the mood

Since I am not a musician it is difficult to think of a piece of music first, then create an atmosphere around it that ties into it.  So I will take the later approach and build environments and then have someone compose music to enhance the mood of the environment.

However, if I had a piece of music first, then I could imagine a setting and create around it.

So it is kinda difficult topic to manage because it is very important.  I have been in touch with a few musicians and prices for original composed music is pretty expensive. On the low side, I have been quoted $500 USD a minute.  Because of these prices, I have to create the environment first, then request composition.

That is where I am currently at, but I am confident that no matter what way music comes into the game, that all of it will be original, and all of it will serve a purpose.  Create and establish a mood, invoke emotion, and suck the player into the experience. That is my goal!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Have you looked at royalty free music? I'm a fan of DanoSongs.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile

That's a good question. I have done a lot of research on this particular topic.  Their are several different approaches to bringing music into a game.

Some are..
Let the music in your head inspire the graphics and the game writing
Let the graphics of the game establish a mood and create music to match/enhance the mood

Since I am not a musician it is difficult to think of a piece of music first, then create an atmosphere around it that ties into it.  So I will take the later approach and build environments and then have someone compose music to enhance the mood of the environment.

However, if I had a piece of music first, then I could imagine a setting and create around it.

So it is kinda difficult topic to manage because it is very important.  I have been in touch with a few musicians and prices for original composed music is pretty expensive. On the low side, I have been quoted $500 USD a minute.  Because of these prices, I have to create the environment first, then request composition.

That is where I am currently at, but I am confident that no matter what way music comes into the game, that all of it will be original, and all of it will serve a purpose.  Create and establish a mood, invoke emotion, and suck the player into the experience. That is my goal!

I get what you are saying, and you're not wrong....music is one of the more expensive areas of media, but it's also one of the most important. Often times people won't always remember the soundtrack, but they almost always remember how it makes them feel.  It's a huge part of story telling, and can definitely influence how you feel during important events down to simple ambiance.

What kind of music are you interested in for the project? I'm an orchestral composer if you're interested in that kind of music, it would be interesting to talk about your vision for the project. :)

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
Quote from: unenergizer link=topic=12990.msg231039#msg231039

$500 a minute is kind of pricey for a project of this level.

I found this user who charges $200 a minute, which is a lot more reasonable.

https://soundcloud.com/user-6450621

Or you could take CptOvaltine's offer since it's right in front of you.  :D

Also, have you tried to contact William Kage or MyNewSountrack/Luis Sies and ask them if they do comissions, if you're looking for a SNES vibe?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:32:25 am by Nangbaby »