Poll

How far in Chrono Trigger have you played?

Played a bit / haven't played it
0 (0%)
Played a lot, haven't beaten it
1 (4.2%)
Beat Lavos
5 (20.8%)
Played New Game + / Beat the game a second time
2 (8.3%)
Got to the developer's room
16 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: How far did you get in Chrono Trigger?  (Read 13165 times)

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
How far did you get in Chrono Trigger?
« on: December 19, 2018, 04:55:25 am »
Just curious, I know some people here may be bigger fans of Trigger than Cross, some may like Radical Dreamers a lot. A friend of mine replayed Chrono Trigger maybe 8 times over a decade and just recently beat it for the first time. So how much have you played? How far did ya get? (if this has been done, please pull it)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: How far did you get in Chrono Trigger?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 05:06:34 am »
I would be willing to bet most of us have played it to death! I've played through it from start to finish countless times.  I didn't get every ending until the DS remake...mostly because as a 5 year old kid I couldn't figure out how to get more then two endings. haha

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 03:19:07 pm »
Yeah, I've played the game to death. I've played it so much that I now struggle to get through subsequent playthroughs. I get sort of... bored... just to be honest.

I wish I could go back in time to the first time I played, though. I would spend so much time just walking around, and I would take the time to LOOK and EXPLORE every single screen. I would go into a house and literally walk up to every item and press A, would talk to every person several times to see if I could get new dialogue, and I would even stop and just let my eyes take it all in.

I remember the first time I got to the End of Time I spent probably a good 10 minutes just oogling at it. That's saying something, because there's not much at the End of Time. I should also add this was before I even bothered venturing into Spekkio's Room.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 03:55:58 pm »
Yeah, I've played the game to death. I've played it so much that I now struggle to get through subsequent playthroughs. I get sort of... bored... just to be honest.

I wish I could go back in time to the first time I played, though. I would spend so much time just walking around, and I would take the time to LOOK and EXPLORE every single screen. I would go into a house and literally walk up to every item and press A, would talk to every person several times to see if I could get new dialogue, and I would even stop and just let my eyes take it all in.

I remember the first time I got to the End of Time I spent probably a good 10 minutes just oogling at it. That's saying something, because there's not much at the End of Time. I should also add this was before I even bothered venturing into Spekkio's Room.

Same here!  It's pretty hard for me to get through these days.  I have the same problem with FFVI, and a couple other old favorites.  I'm getting there with Cross, too. Though I had only played Cross once when it came out.  It was a friends game that I borrowed, so I didn't really have the opportunity to play it again until college. I've played it about once per year ever since, up until last year. 

I used to have one of those old boom boxes that you could record your own cassette tapes with.  I would sit at the end of time and talk to each character to trigger their themes, then I would record them on the tapes so that I could listen to them whenever I wanted. I'm pretty sure I've got a 30 min loop of Frogs song somewhere. haha

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 04:16:27 pm »
I've done everything once... except Pink Nu Spekkio.

I have fought Frog Spekkio though.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 05:20:02 pm »
I've played it all the way through countless times. I try to do at least a couple of playthroughs a year; a quick one with New Game +, and a slower one with New Game.

I don't get bored with the game, but I know what you mean about recapturing the magic. That's why I like to watch people experience it for the first time, particularly real-life friends so I can see their faces light up in person. I love to hear their reactions to events and their speculations about where the story is going, and to see how they approach each situation. Through it all I stay quiet and let them make their own discoveries and mistakes.

Everyone so far has loved the game, and their enthusiasm lets me vicariously relive my first playthrough.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 02:36:27 am »
What's Pink Nu? I've only played the original version of the game, didn't see that part.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 02:59:24 am »
What's Pink Nu? I've only played the original version of the game, didn't see that part.

Spekkio's final form. You need to be at max level for that one.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 04:07:34 am »
When I play it, there's that part where you can't find Melchoir. I get lost there. Every time, like an alzheimer's patient, its like a mental block. Even now I don't remember what to do after that. So it'll be fun for me next time I play it :)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:27:26 am »
I have never done a lvl 99 playthrough. I always say I'm doing to NG+ a few times to get there, but then I end up wanting a challenge so I start over with a level 1 new game. :/

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 02:24:50 pm »
I have never done a lvl 99 playthrough. I always say I'm doing to NG+ a few times to get there, but then I end up wanting a challenge so I start over with a level 1 new game. :/

Come to think of it...I've never gotten to lvl 99 either... Weird!  I think the highest I've ever gotten was upper 70s, lower 80s.

trig

• Level ** (100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 05:50:28 pm »
Wow, I've never truly played the whole thing--I've never played all the games at the Fair! Time for another run. And I'll make a checklist for all the endings.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 11:30:58 pm »
of course I've thoroughly played through CT.

grinding up to level ** is tedious, so I'd recommend using PAR codes (Pro Action Replay) if you want to fight Nu Spekkio. just be aware, if you get a massive amount of experience/level-ups through PAR, the game might lag for awhile, so you just have to wait it out.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 09:54:31 am »
Interestingly enough, I found the Developer Room quite by accident. I had no idea there were multiple endings (first playthrough I rescued Crono, recruited Magus, and destroyed the Epoch so that Crono's mom chased the cats into the Millennial Fair gate), and I was doing my first NG+.

I went to the Ocean Palace and remembered that I was supposed to lose... but decided to see what happens if I didn't. So I gave it my all and...

...discovered the Developer's Room.

Suffice to say, I was devastated by the one gag in which the guy says something along the lines of "want to see a screenshot of Chrono Trigger 2? ... Yeah, that'd be nice!" I was seriously heartbroken. My eleven or twelve year old mind was quite saddened by that joke, as I was wishing for a sequel already.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 11:57:54 am »
Had I played chrono trigger when it came out, that woulda hurt me too. because for years i would have thought, at the time with few people on the net, that they had started work on a chrono trigger 2. like when they announced Season 3 of the Chappelle's show and we got a fragment, its been 15 years and im still waiting haha.