Author Topic: Remaking Lynx battle idle animation  (Read 3162 times)

Poshul777

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Remaking Lynx battle idle animation
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:28:55 am »
Hello.
is there a way to change default Lynx idle animation?
In normal condition, he stands like this:

And I would like this:

I will be very happy if it is possible.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:20:33 pm by Poshul777 »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
Re: Remaking Lynx battle idle animation
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:55:21 am »
It's probably not absolutely impossible, but it's likely to be difficult. (And I can't actually see whatever pictures you were trying to provide, but it doesn't really matter anyway.)

Cross's animation format is weird, and unless someone's come up with one fairly recently, we have no tools for working with it. You'll have to set joint translations and rotations manually, with a hex editor.

Animations for Serge-as-Lynx are in files 2134 (overworld) and 3809 (battle) on a standard Cross disc. The special battle animations for scythe-wielding PC Lynx are in file 3811. Animations for Lynx as an enemy at Fort Dragonia are in 3886. Animations for Lynx as an NPC will be embedded in each location where he appears. He may have the most separate sets of animation files of any character, so it may take you a while to accomplish whatever you're trying to do.

Good luck.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 01:41:51 pm »
The second picture is already from Chrono Cross, so the animation already exists in the proper format. It's more a question of if they're in the right files, and how to reference that one instead of the existing one.

Poshul777

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 06:13:29 pm »
Yupp. Enemy Lynx already has this animation.
It remains only to understand how to make this animation play on our Lynx in battles.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:22:04 pm by Poshul777 »

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 05:46:32 pm »
Then one possible game plan would go like this:

0. Rip the first Cross CD and pull the disc image apart. Tools should be floating around here somewhere as part of a sticky post, if you don't have them already.

1. Overwrite file 3809 with 3811 and see if that gets you the animation you want (it will probably mess up the attack animations. Don't worry about that.) If that doesn't work, you'll have to use 3886 as the donor file.

2. Figure out which animation in 3809 you want to replace. Worst case, you can do this by zeroing out parts of the file and seeing where the game breaks.

3. Figure out which animation in your donor file (3811 or 3886) matches the one you want to swap in. They may or may not be in the same order as the animations in 3809.

4. Replace the bytes that correspond to the animation in 3809 with the ones from the donor file and sew everything back up to produce a new CD image. This may require some messing around with pointers, but hopefully the tools will handle that for you.

prizvel

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Our planet's dream is not over yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 04:58:36 pm »
Not so simple. The enemy Linx model is different.
 3209.battle_model_Lynx_scythe.mdl
 3434.battle_model_Lynx.mdl
P.S.
By the way about file numbers. We came to the conclusion that it was correct to number the files by the number in the file table. With this approach, all files on both disks have the same number. Also, this approach greatly simplifies the modification.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:24:05 pm by prizvel »

Poshul777

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 05:13:06 pm »
It's a pity. Tried to replace files, nothing changes. When replacing the model, I get a red screen in the battle.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 06:45:09 pm »
I swear this was done years ago by someone else, or am I mistaken? I'm almost certain someone had done this awhile back when model stuff was first being figured out.

Maximus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 08:40:25 pm »
Wow...this still being the biggest dream of any Cross player. Have Lynx with his Scythe in that badass pose.

I was just fiddling with gameshark codes and also got the same Red Screen when i try to load Lynx model

300DB0A5+0067 This is the first Lynx you face at Viper Manor
300DB0A5+008A The second Lynx from Fort Dragonia

What I could get is Dark Serge model, without proper texture and other bosses:
66 Marcy
92 Garai
99 Miguel
D9 Dark Serge: It lacks His scythe(looks invisible), but all animations works, even the swirls.

All these models are in brownish colour, and clearly have the Serge Face on it, i think because I replaced the codes over Serge model, if i try after body swap some of them wont load.