Author Topic: Call for playtesters!  (Read 12134 times)

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
Re: Call for playtesters!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 02:01:22 pm »
XAIXER, check your inbox!

Kodokami: I really didn't choose one translation over another. I mean, the base here is the original 1995 Woolsey translation because that, to me, will always be definitive, despite its issues. But with things like item names? I just went with what I liked, to be honest. "Revive" is a verb so I thought the item name should be a noun (Reviver).

As for Potion/Tonic, I just plain prefer the Potion/Hi-Potion/X-Potion naming convention.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 02:04:51 pm by Fauntleroy »

XAIXER

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 06:52:51 pm »
I found a bug! Opening the sealed chests in the Porre mayor's house in 100AD yeilds some crazy text.

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 07:32:57 pm »
That's a weird done. I am not able to replicate this bug.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 08:10:21 pm »
I found a bug! Opening the sealed chests in the Porre mayor's house in 100AD yeilds some crazy text.

I'm jealous that XAIXER acquired a "ntingBowDre! ow Steel Bow RobinHoodHu!" I've tried getting one before, but could never manage it.

:D

In all seriousness, I tried this as well and couldn't replicate it.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 01:16:59 am »
Typo #1: Frog Kingdom 1000 AD start of game.
'Bad blood left over from 400 years ago, they says.'
   - Should not be 'says'.

Typo #2: Lucca appearing in 600 AD after Marle disappears.
'I'll bet they mistook your
friend  for her ancestory...'
   - There's two spaces after friend

Typo #3: Dorn when you first talk to him manually.
'We're all straving up here.'
   - Should be 'starving'

Unsure?: When Johnny is introduced.
It loads '...the MAN!'
'Thanks for the intro BABE!'
Then it loads '...the MAN!' again after. Is this supposed to happen?

Tile Solidity:
65,000,000 BC
   Mabambo Tribe
The tower on the far left has a slight solidity issue where if you walk from the bottom up towards the top, you can sort of walk into the tower.

1000 AD after you've obtained the charged pendant
   Head to the Mayor's Manor in Poore, go up the stairs and open either chest
It'll display a very broken text string but you'll still obtain the White Vest/Black Vest like normal.

Tailspin - 'Proximity-based Lightning damage'
Is this accurate? I'm honestly not sure if this was what it was in the original or not.

12,000 BC once you're able to fly with the Epoch has some broken graphics on the mini map when you press 'select'
   - Seems to happen once the Black Omen appears

The Forest Primeval seems like the two WildHeckran's together causes some graphical glitching with them.
   - This may be a possible VRAM glitch so it's probable that they may not be compatible with both on screen.
   - Zakra has some graphical issues as well. Not entirely sure what's going on.

This is what I got so far. I'm near the end of the game at this point. Have to do all the side-quests first and then I'm off to Lavos.

DK_Donutlicious

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Good news, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 05:33:03 am »
Justin3009 beat me to it with those reports on the Forest Primeval!

North Cape exit to world map needs correcting, currently exits to the old north cape coordinates  Also maybe have the cape be more obvious as a location on the world map? I found it quickly enough but still feels like it could be clearer.

Am I supposed to be able to do something with the Frog King? I can't tell if I'm missing something or need to move on.

Only other thing of note is Frog's ultimate technique. For 16 MP, it's damage output is rather lackluster. For comparison, Robo with Uzzi Fist is dealing around 1600 while Frog with Nirvana X is dealing around 1000, and Uzzi Fist is half the cost. I don't know if you were mostly done with editing that tech but you may want to consider messing with it some more. (Also is it going to get a more unique animation? Obviously it works as is, but a copy of Leap Slash was kind of a bummer :/)

Anyway, I am really enjoying this so far! Excellent job!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:31:08 am by DK_Donutlicious »

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 10:51:27 am »
Clearly I'm behind lol. Didn't even open a browser over the weekend. Will try this out starting today, sounds awesome so far.

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 10:57:22 am »
Thank you for the reports!  Few quick notes:

• Will address typos and minor map issues (although "They says" was intentional).
  • I'm still balancing things, so please continue to report any instances of items, Techs, etc. being underpowered or overpowered.
  • The Tailspin Tech had Lightning effect added. It wasn't there in the vanilla game.
  • The interaction between Johnny and his robots is the same as the vanilla game.
  • The Frog King is just color. :) He's there just for fun.
  • Zakra graphical spasm confirmed. Will investigate.
  • North Cape exit issue corrected. (Never bothered walking out of there before!)
  • I'm still unable to replicate the broken text string re: white/black mail chests.
  • I don't encounter any errors when battling the Heckrans. Can you elaborate on what you see?
  • The glitchy graphics on the 12,000 BC map only happen for me when I use ZSNES. What emulators are you using?

Thanks again!

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 01:26:28 pm »
I was using the most up to date SNES9X when testing.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 01:33:56 pm »
For that Zakra thing, try changing the enemy index. Some sprites get wonky in certain slots.

DK_Donutlicious

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Good news, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 03:18:02 pm »
I also had the Wild Heckran graphic glitch, it's the same kind of thing that Zakra had, where sometimes they flicker when doing certain animations during the battle.

So perhaps apply Mauron's Zakra suggestion to the Heckrans as well? The original Heckran uses index 3, but it could also just be getting wonky because you don't normally fight two Heckrans at once.

As for the Frog King, it was fun seeing him/kicking his butt, but it made me feel like there was something I could do with him to make the future frog kingdom like humans more. It also feels weird being able to repeatedly beat him up. Maybe make it a one time fight if possible? I know you weren't looking for feedback other than just bugs/difficulty, but this was something where I spent 30 minutes trying to catch him and do different things because I really thought fighting him had some connection with fostering happy relations for 1000 AD Frog Kingdom, so other people who later play your hack may end up trying the same thing and getting frustrated.

Oh and something from early on that I almost forgot about. The TP needed for Chrono/Lucca/Marle's second techs seems too high. I actually never properly unlocked Wind Slash nor Hypno Wave (Provoke was unlocked during my run through the factory); my party gained them when they got magic. Was this intentional? If not, I would recommend lowering the needed TP to learn Wind Slash/Provoke/Hypno Wave.

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 03:49:57 pm »
Yeah, I'm going to do some additional testing with Zakra and the Wild Heckrans. I was able to see the Wild Heckrans glitch when I fought them on a file with lower-leveled characters, where the fight took much longer. I think Mauron's right and it's a matter of indexes. I've already found and corrected similar issues with other boss fights.

Relations between the Frog Kingdom and the humans will get better over the course of the game. The first improvement comes with beating Magus, the second with beating Ozzie, and the third after the Sun Stone quest (although you don't get to see the benefit of this final one until after the Black Omen).

Basically, the Frog King was the Big Bad before Magus, but now he's just licking his wounds on his home turf. You can talk to him, and you can fight him if you move really, really fast. But... try stealing from him.
;)

The changes to Tech learning were intentional. Everybody starts with at least one Tech mastered. Frog should learn his second Tech during the Cathedral, while Chrono, Marle and Lucca should while in 2300 AD. But if the requirements are so high that you aren't learning them until you meet Spekkio, then I overestimated and need to bring them down.

DK_Donutlicious

• Chrono Trigger + Crew
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Good news, everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 05:45:39 pm »
Nice charm reward, thanks for the tip :)

Are you deadset on the tech name Rainbows? Comparing it to Flare, Luminaire, and DarkMatter, it doesn't have as strong a reference to water/ice. What about either Aqua Prism or FrostPrism?

XAIXER

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 08:36:27 pm »
I found an "x3000 in the Beast Nest. Is that normal. Also, what is it?

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 08:46:56 pm »
Hmmm... That should be a Power Tab, and should only appear if you didn't pick it up before the Mountain of Woe.

Do you remember if you did?

Also, which emulator are you using?

Thanks.