Author Topic: Call for playtesters!  (Read 11553 times)

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
Call for playtesters!
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:13:03 pm »
Finally time for playtesting of my "Schala Edition" hack!

The headline, for anyone who doesn't know, is this hack changes events so Schala is rescued from the Ocean Palace. But there's a lot more to it than that.

Right now I've got three signed up (chrono.source, DK_Donutlicious, Pictou). If you want to join, please reply to this message by Friday night.

I don't want any more than 10 testers, and it's just first-come, first-served.

What I ask is that you play through one new game and preferably a New Game+ as well. And just... explore. Talk to everybody. Read signs. Try all the Techs. Go everywhere you can go. Steal from enemies. Do any side-events you know of. And basically try to break what I've made.

Specifically, I'm looking for any bugs or typos. I'll start a thread for reports this weekend, after I send the patch to the playtest group.

What I'm not looking for is a co-author. The decisions on what to do with this project are already made, so if you've got a great idea for something, go make a hack! The more the merrier!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:14:36 pm by Fauntleroy »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Call for playtesters!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:35:19 am »
I can partially playtest when I have the time but I don't think I'd be able to commit to every single detail unfortunately due to my work hours for the next number of weeks. I can probably go through dialogues, techs like normal if that would be sufficient.

I am able to play it through on SNES9X since my computer is main source for any kind of emulation.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:56:21 pm by justin3009 »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:27:33 am »
I have the next week off. I'd love to spend some of that time playing Chrono Trigger. Count me in.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:55:32 pm »
I can playtest as long as it runs successfully on my PSP via SNES emulator (I won't have time to sit in front of my actual PC to play with work, my kids, and the upcoming holidays, but I can take it on the go very easily).

I should be able to push out a playthrough in a few weeks, and will make sure to take in-depth notes.

EDIT: If you have a save ready that I can NG+ with, I can get it done even faster. :)

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 11:35:58 pm »
I wish I could be a part of this. I sooo wish I could be a part of this.

Unfortunately, unless you have a version that's compatible with tablet, that's not gonna happen.

All I can do is wish you good luck. ;_;

PS: Will there be Chrono Cross roasting? :P

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:37:59 am »
That is actually one thing that may hinder my testing... is I need it to run on my android SNES emulator. Here's hoping!

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 02:13:05 pm »
The Snes9x for Android can handle any Chrono Trigger hack, it can even play the MSU-1 music.

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:19:52 pm »
So finally the hoax about saving Schala can be true.... Thanks a lot man!

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 08:53:36 pm »
justin3009: You're in! There's no deadline, take your time!

chrono.source and skylark: I'm including you, so I hope the file works! I play it on regular old Snes9X.

IHBP and froodo: Were you wanting to participate?

I will send the file this evening to:

Boo the Gentleman Caller
chrono.source
DK_Donutlicious
justin3009
Kodokami
Pictou
skylark

You will receive the link through a private message here on the Compendium.

This is enough people for a good test, but if 1-3 more peeps want to sign up, just reply here!

THANK YOU!

IHBP

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 03:04:08 pm »
Thanks for the offer but I Chrono Trigger Plus takes up all my playing time.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 01:11:11 am »
if I'm not too late, I'll take this on.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 01:32:41 am »
So I can't find my PSP, but I did start playing it on the PC... I am five minutes in...

1000AD

1. I love that all NPCs now have names. Sam, Trish, Violet, Ziggy, etc. I love it.

2. After noticing this, I went back to talk to Crono's name to see what you named her. Mom works perfect. However, she says "You two have fun but be back before dinner." There's no one else in my party, and I know that she just reminded me about meeting up with Lucca (so I assume that's who she is referencing), but the line threw me for a loop. Just a thought.

3.) None of the NPCs on Zenan Bridge have names. Not that it's a big deal, since they're randomized and repeating, but I did want to make sure you know.

4.) The Porre innkeeper doesn't have a name. Nevermind. None of the Porreans have names. Is this because Crono knows everyone in Truce but not in Porre? If so, that would make sense why the NPCs in 3 don't have names, haha...

5.) Nor does the Porre shopkeeper. He also has no dialogue; it opens straight up to the buy/sell menu. This may have been how it was in vanilla CT, it's been a long time since I've played it on SNES, but I did want to call it out just in case.

6.) I found the Frog Kingdom in Porre and couldn't help but be excited. New content already this early in the game! I hope there's more to this... Gwah ha haaa!

7.) I like that you referred to Lucca as Lucca Ashtear in the telepod scene and elsewhere. Nice continuity. Smiley face.

600AD

1.) I am loving that everyone now speaks in an olde-fashioned accent. I haven't met Frog yet, but this matches perfectly, so I assume you left his accent in.

2.) I also like that you referred to Banta the bellmaker as Ashtear Smithy. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:32:15 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 02:58:49 am »
xcalibur, you've been added. Thank you! Check your inbox.

Yes, all the NPCs in 1000 AD Truce have names because, presumably, Crono would know them all. But this is only true of that one town.

A lot of the basic shopkeepers have no dialogue. None of these are changed from the vanilla game.

There are a billion references sprinkled throughout. My general advice with this hack is: if a townsperson talks about a party member or is related to them in some way, definitely take that party member to meet that townsperson. You will almost always get some exchange between them, or a comment in reply from your party member. Adding all of these little things was the biggest delight for me of the project. Some of the later references play into the Chrono series lore a bit more.

XAIXER

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 12:03:37 pm »
Can I still take part in this? It sounds so exciting!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 01:18:50 pm »
The frog kingdom has me excited. And it's pretty neat that all of 600 AD's citizens speak with Frog's old English.

Side note, I've actually never played the SNES version of Chrono Trigger, only the DS version. Though it seems Potions are still Potions instead of Tonics. Yet Reviver replaces both Athenian Water and Revive. Just curious if you chose one translation over another.

Most citizens refer to Magus as "The Magus", though I bet that's intentional.

Aaaand I was killed by a Poly because I forgot to heal.  :o