Author Topic: The Chrono Compendium and Fandom in 2019  (Read 15358 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
The Chrono Compendium and Fandom in 2019
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:30:17 pm »
Hi all,

I've been working a little on new ideas for fun and engagement in 2019, and I wanted to create a thread to allow feedback and generate new ideas. As far as I'm concerned, this is a community for the community. In 2019 I could see us doing a lot of new things, including...

1.) Dream Splash VII
2.) Some sort of other competition
3.) Events in support of CptOvaltine's Cross Symphonic
4.) Events in support of Fauntleroy's ROM hack release (alternate scenario version of CT)

I'd love to get thoughts and feedback as we head into 2019! This will be another fun year for the Compendium and the Chrono fanon as a whole! We'll make it great!

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: The Chrono Compendium and Fandom in 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:08:29 pm »
I was worried we were going to be partnering with Fandom starting next year.  :P

I'm definitely looking forward to competitions, and ROM hack releases.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:36:57 pm »
Love the ideas, especially your 2nd option  :P:
2.) Some sort of other competition

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 10:31:17 pm »
So I didn't hear any additional ideas in this thread. Anyone else have anything to add?

I am planning something small for the early 2019 time frame but would like more beyond that. :D

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 10:45:07 pm »
We used to have a Spring's Gift and Winter's Fragments contest, for fanart and fiction respectively. Each would last about 2-3 months and would have specific themes/topics. Perhaps we could bring those back to drum up more interest?

If we do, these could be short contests with very specific topics while the Dream Splash could be a catch-all or very general topic.

Ideally, I'd like to have something going every season. Using the above as examples:
  • Winter - Winter's Fragments (fanfiction)
  • Spring - Spring's Gift (fanart)
  • Summer - Dream Splash (super duper extravaganza)
  • Fallof Guardia - Uh... New Gurus? Hand out candy?
One potential problem with using the older contests is that the awarded rank overlaps with those same categories in the Dream Splash. We could create new ranks, but I'd rather not go crazy with tons of new ranks. Maybe unify the Dream Splash ranks into one? I dunno.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:46:26 pm by Kodokami »

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 04:44:45 pm »
  • Fallof Guardia - Uh... New Gurus? Hand out candy?

:roll: :lol:

I love all of these ideas. I would really like to think of something to help drum up some new users and activity.  I know that's pretty hard to do considering the Chrono series is more or less dead in the game world...but it would be nice to find a way to engage fans and draw them in.  Contests are fun, but without some sort of prize it's hard to draw in a new crowd.  Maybe that's not the point though, so I might not even matter!  None-the-less they're fun for those of us that are active now.

3.) Events in support of CptOvaltine's Cross Symphonic

I would love to talk more about this.  As most of you know I'm planning a Kickstarter campaign for February, and would love to start talking about any ideas and develop a plan for promoting both the campaign and the album.

Having the compendiums support is incredible, and I can't thank you guys enough.  :)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 10:43:41 pm »
I can’t think of anything to add right now, but if I do I’ll let you know. I love all these ideas though!!

I need new art inspiration anyway. My current job has been stifling my creative juices as of late.  :(

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 01:50:52 am »
Just an update...

Please be on the lookout in early 2019 for a revival of:

Winter's Fragments: A FanFiction Collaborative Event

There will be both individual, group, and forum-wide writing events to capture that agonizing spirit of sitting in a dark room because the sun goes down at 5:00PM and the days seem oh so much longer in winter and it's always biting cold and the heat bills rise and Christmas is nice and all, but the constant chaos and materialism and general unkindness of mankind makes it a horrible span of time and work should be getting easier, not more difficult and I think I'm ready to start jobhunting because I am ready for change but that should really come with Spring not Winter but regardless does anyone know of telecommute jobs for tech industry PMs because that would make me happy and warm holiday cheer.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 04:42:13 pm »
Whoo!

Also, I totally feel ya, Boo.  :(

Balroth

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:58:32 am »
Newbie here, I have to say these competitions seem interesting!

Is there an "About" page or something similar, to see details and results of the previous ones?  :D

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 07:18:03 pm »
Hold on to your butts. I tried my best to dig up what I could and mark it down here for easy access. A lot of info is missing, either because I couldn't find it or we just don't have it archived. Also, we didn't have contests for every year, and I think some years the Dream Splash would replace the regular Summer's Cry.

Sep. 2006: The first Compendium short-term contest begins. Winner would receive the unique rank of Poet Girl of Arni.
Contestants: N/A
Winner: N/A

Feb. 2007: Announcing the beginning of the Compendium's annual creative contests. These include Spring's Gift (fan art), Summer's Cry (music), Autumn's Fate (ROM hacking), and Winter's Fragments (fan fiction). Winners would receive the unique ranks of Artist of Termina, Bard of Regiorra, Architect of Kajar, and Poet of Arni, respectively.

2007 Spring's Gift contestants: Clovis15, Deezer509, Fuee, MrSleep, NeoXeno (winner)
2007 Summer's Cry contestants: Dream Splash?
2007 Autumn's Fate contestants: N/A
2007 Winter's Fragments contestants: N/A

2007 April Fool's Contest and it's funny result.

May 2007: Project ZEAL officially abandoned (started in 2004). Not a contest, but a unique collaborative project that's fun to check out.

Aug. 2007: The first Compendium Dream Splash begins. The theme was "Zeal". A really cool interactive preview for it can be found here. Entries for the first four Dream Splashes can be found here.

2008 Spring's Gift (Theme: Scenes from Prehistory) contestants: N/A
Winner: Andrew
2008 Summer's Cry contestants: Dream Splash?
2008 Autumn's Fate contestants: N/A
2008 Winter's Fragments contestants: Delta Dragon (winner), V_Translanka (Download link), Falawful, Katie Skyye (Download link), Zephira (Download link), Yoko Endovale

2009 Spring's Gift contestants: N/A
2009 Summer's Cry contestants: N/A
2009 Autumn's Fate contestants: N/A
2009 Winter's Fragments (theme: Chrono Cross Ideal Timeline) winner: Katie Skyye

2010 Spring's Gift winner: Dayton (Dayton was the only contestant)
2010 Summer's Cry contestants: Dream Splash?
2010 Autumn's Fate contestants: N/A
2010 Winter's Fragments: N/A

Dream Splashes: Archives
2007 - Zeal
2008 - El Nido
2010 - Chrono Break
2011 - Radical Dreamers
2012 - Middle Ages
2018 - Dream of Zeal

Prior Contest Archive
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:21:16 pm by Kodokami »

Balroth

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 11:58:47 am »
Aug. 2007: The first Compendium Dream Splash begins. The theme was "Zeal". A really cool interactive preview for it can be found here. Entries for the first four Dream Splashes can be found here.
That link got me to read the entire Dream Splash haha. I also checked out every other link you provided, thanks!

It was funny seeing a lot of these, especially the 2007's interactive preview , and the april fool's joke, that cheesy+amateurish feeling of old forums got me nostalgic xD

I am looking forward to seeing the new competitions in 2019, 2018 (Dream of Zeal) having entries was a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one given the chrono franchise status, so I am definitely interested in 2019's  :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:00:08 pm by Balroth »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2020, 08:40:25 am »
So 2019 came and went and we didn't do any events. Anyone feel up to doing a Dream Splash or something this summer?

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2020, 01:35:20 pm »
I'll always support a new Dream Splash, or whatever event it ends up being. Are there any topics anyone would be interested in?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2020, 03:29:37 pm »
Whatever it ends up happening, I don't suppose it could include Another Eden related stuff? Not exactly Chrono, but it is in spirit or so.