Author Topic: Chrono's Spiritual Successor  (Read 40892 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono's Spiritual Successor
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2018, 12:46:41 pm »
Not to spoil anything, but that game had some fantastic twists! Haha

WARNING, SPOILERS BELOW:

So the villain is essentially an older version of your hero had he chosen one path over another? Am I understanding the summary I read right?

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2018, 06:19:06 pm »
Not to spoil anything, but that game had some fantastic twists! Haha

WARNING, SPOILERS BELOW:

So the villain is essentially an older version of your hero had he chosen one path over another? Am I understanding the summary I read right?

ALSO SPOILERS:

Essentially yes. They really start to play with the multiverse theory and it gets a bit hard to follow, but you learn that the there was a moment in history where your life divides based on one choice, and from that are infinite possibilities.  If I'm remembering this right what's really cool is the fact that you, the player, are actually a past version of yourself, whereas the villain is the current "you". It's a really cool concept, and similar to yours except the details are reversed. (the future you goes to the past, rather than the past you goes to the future.)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2018, 11:11:26 pm »
So I just want to say reading parts of this threat\d makes me really want to try out RPG Maker. Might be a good place for me to start learning actually!!

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2018, 09:23:21 am »
So I just want to say reading parts of this threat\d makes me really want to try out RPG Maker. Might be a good place for me to start learning actually!!

It is definitely a good place to start to learn the building blocks of game creation. The platform is fairly simple to do, and there are a lot of resources for you, however ROM hacking seems to be where most of the attention goes, and coming from someone who is just beginning to learn Temporal Flux, it is COMPLETELY different.  Having said that, I had a lot of fun creating Chrono Source with RPG Maker. Let us know if you end up making something!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2018, 04:45:09 pm »
I've had the tutorials page bookmarked for ages. One of these days I'll get around to tinkering with Flux, or RPG Maker.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2018, 04:10:27 am »
I'll help anyone working with Temporal Flux, but it is trickier.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2018, 09:24:10 am »
I've had the tutorials page bookmarked for ages. One of these days I'll get around to tinkering with Flux, or RPG Maker.

I was looking for this the other day, Thanks!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2018, 01:12:59 pm »
Here's an idea we could use: Take inspiration from Doctor Who's relationship between River Song and the Doctor.

Massive Doctor Who spoilers ahead, of course.

:shee

The main thing about their tragic relationship is that they are temporally out of sync. The first time the Doctor meets River is the last time River sees the Doctor, before she sacrifices herself to save him. Since DW is a series about time travel, the two meet again many times, in the Doctor's future and River's past. That's why it's tragic. The Doctor always knows that River will die.

I think there's a lot here to be played around with. A story from "River's" perspective? A similar tragic relationship between the hero and villain even? What do y'all think?

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2018, 03:41:39 pm »
I think that's a really intriguing idea.  Man....that's kind of heavy.  Imagine playing something like Final Fantasy IV, meeting Rosa always knowing she is going to die in the future.

We would really have to develop the character to make sure the player invests in her so we don't end up with an Aireth situation...

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2018, 05:17:27 pm »
It wouldn't have to be "linear" either: i.e. Character A's first meeting being Character B's last doesn't mean B's first meeting is A's last. Doctor Who doesn't even do that. Aside from the Doctor's first meeting with River being her last, their future meetings (from his perspective) are all scrambled. His last meeting with her ends up being River's second-to-last meeting with him. Time is all wibbly-wobbly like that.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2018, 11:40:03 pm »
Sounds interesting. Could get convulated if it involved more than two persons, but I suppose it would just be done between two in this case.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2018, 05:05:33 am »
It wouldn't have to be "linear" either: i.e. Character A's first meeting being Character B's last doesn't mean B's first meeting is A's last. Doctor Who doesn't even do that. Aside from the Doctor's first meeting with River being her last, their future meetings (from his perspective) are all scrambled. His last meeting with her ends up being River's second-to-last meeting with him. Time is all wibbly-wobbly like that.

In that case it would be an interesting approach if you as the player didn't understand/know exactly what was going on until a pivotal point in the story. I.e you didn't understand this characters importance upon meeting them for the first/last time until later in the game.  Or vice versa, you didn't know your first meeting was actually the last until, again, a later important/emotional point in the story.

Sounds interesting. Could get convulated if it involved more than two persons, but I suppose it would just be done between two in this case.

Totally.  It could be a huge mess if it isn't scripted well... of course the same could be said about time travel as a plot device in general.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2018, 02:23:50 pm »
I think that's a really intriguing idea.  Man....that's kind of heavy.  Imagine playing something like Final Fantasy IV, meeting Rosa always knowing she is going to die in the future.

We would really have to develop the character to make sure the player invests in her so we don't end up with an Aireth situation...

Bahahah..... terrible character dev.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2020, 06:16:33 am »
Although I know coding and 3D, I can't say a Chrono spiritual successor is my interest anymore. Perhaps a time traveling open world Skyrim/Fallout/BotW type game, though.