Author Topic: Chrono's Spiritual Successor  (Read 40878 times)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Chrono's Spiritual Successor
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:33:46 pm »
That's some really interesting stuff.  I would have liked to play through those to see how/what you guys changed/added.

Certainly an interesting premise to say the least. I would have loved to be involved with those back in the day...though like everyone else, I wouldn't have been good for much beyond idea generation and may some music.  Even there, most fan projects I've seen prefer to use the original soundtrack.  I don't know if that's from lack of expertise, or just the nostalgia factor.  Maybe both?

I wish we could take all of these great ideas/talent and develop our own game inspired by Chrono.  I would score that in a heart beat!  Though again, the biggest obstacle would be coders/programmers. It would be so cool to take something in the same vain as the Chrono Break trailer that was released a few months ago and develop it for the Switch, or something like that.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono's Spiritual Successor
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 10:40:18 pm »
I wish we could take all of these great ideas/talent and develop our own game inspired by Chrono.  I would score that in a heart beat!  Though again, the biggest obstacle would be coders/programmers. It would be so cool to take something in the same vain as the Chrono Break trailer that was released a few months ago and develop it for the Switch, or something like that.

Agreed 110%. Six months ago I would have been down to get something up and running. Either a fan game or a potential legit release via Steam or whatever. Now things are so busy I don't know if I'd be able.

I still think a small fan ROM hack would be useful. Akin to Prophet's Guile.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:45:55 am »

Agreed 110%. Six months ago I would have been down to get something up and running. Either a fan game or a potential legit release via Steam or whatever. Now things are so busy I don't know if I'd be able.

This is itself is the sole reason I decided to use RPG Maker instead. Not only was the ease of learning there, but so were the resources to build upon it, and if needed, "doers". If anyone was willing to jump on board one of those projects I am fully on board and have had years of experience now. importing a new soundtrack is easy as well (and most welcome).

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 03:59:01 pm »

This is itself is the sole reason I decided to use RPG Maker instead. Not only was the ease of learning there, but so were the resources to build upon it, and if needed, "doers". If anyone was willing to jump on board one of those projects I am fully on board and have had years of experience now. importing a new soundtrack is easy as well (and most welcome).

Bare with me, I know next to nothing about RPGmaker, but what are the legal restrictions?  Can you sell what you create with it (assuming all the content within is original)? I assume the programming language is different, but how well could it be ported/adapted to other consoles if at all?

Classic pixel art TB RPGs are making a come back right now. If we could put something together and market it as a spiritual successor to Trigger/Cross I think we could actually have a little success! Especially if we could get it onto the Switch/PS4/Xbox. We might not ever make any money, but someone might really enjoy it.  Of course this is all easy for me to say, I wouldn't be able to help with anything except the music, and maybe some of the marketing/legal tasks...

I've always wanted to write music for an RPG. Back in the day I was a part of a forum called Epic Center Games that was centered around creating their own RPG.  They had a lot of really talented writers, and come coders/artists, but eventually everything died out and it never really made it much past the concept phase. That was really my first and last exposure to writing for a game.  I've wanted to try again ever since.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 04:41:12 pm »
Bare with me, I know next to nothing about RPGmaker, but what are the legal restrictions?  Can you sell what you create with it (assuming all the content within is original)? I assume the programming language is different, but how well could it be ported/adapted to other consoles if at all?

You can sell. There are a few really good one's on Steam, actually - Ara Fell is one that took ten years, but has turned out to be amazing.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 05:03:34 pm »
On the subject of, I'd say, I've also been interested in these sorts of things. I'll also admit I'm more of an idea guy than doing stuff like complex coding and the like. Although, well, as mentioned programs like RPG Maker exist to make things easier. Though for me it's more an issue of not having those programs.

Personally, something I'm more inclined to try out is SRPG Studio, since it's more oriented for strategy games than standard RPG's.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 06:14:03 pm »
My personal unwillingness to have anything to do with RPGMaker projects is this: I can't play most RPGMaker games, because most versions of RPGMaker are strictly Windows software (or console/handheld software, and the most modern console I have is a PS2). The workarounds are variously annoying (fragile, expensive . . .)

I was working on an alternative take using a cross-platform engine for a while, but ran out of energy before I produced a combat system or any type of editor. Then I made the mistake of trying to re-write it. Emphasis on "mistake". Ugh.

I have most of the (non-music) skills needed to assemble a fangame All By Myself (not that great a spriter, but capable of recolouring/retouching existing sprites), just not the enthusiasm or the round tuits.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 06:29:26 pm »
My personal unwillingness to have anything to do with RPGMaker projects is this: I can't play most RPGMaker games, because most versions of RPGMaker are strictly Windows software (or console/handheld software, and the most modern console I have is a PS2). The workarounds are variously annoying (fragile, expensive . . .)

I was working on an alternative take using a cross-platform engine for a while, but ran out of energy before I produced a combat system or any type of editor. Then I made the mistake of trying to re-write it. Emphasis on "mistake". Ugh.

I have most of the (non-music) skills needed to assemble a fangame All By Myself (not that great a spriter, but capable of recolouring/retouching existing sprites), just not the enthusiasm or the round tuits.

Again, this could be my ignorance showing, but with Steam opening up the PC gaming market to Mac and Lynix, even in a limited capacity, it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to port/code to be available on a wide variety of systems.

I'm less interested in a fan-made-game...Those have their place, but are limited by a whole lot of things, the least of which is a C&D letter.  Now, an "original" game that is inspired by Trigger/Cross is absolutely appealing to me.  Even if it never goes anywhere, it would at least have a chance (even if it's microscopic, and assuming it's actually a good game) of taking off and becoming something that we might be able to make some money off of, maybe even start a small studio.

I might be a little ambitious/enthusiastic about all of this, but what can I say? I'm a (radical) dreamer...  :lol: 8)

... :picardno

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 08:42:46 am »

Again, this could be my ignorance showing, but with Steam opening up the PC gaming market to Mac and Lynix, even in a limited capacity, it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to port/code to be available on a wide variety of systems.

I'm less interested in a fan-made-game...Those have their place, but are limited by a whole lot of things, the least of which is a C&D letter.  Now, an "original" game that is inspired by Trigger/Cross is absolutely appealing to me.  Even if it never goes anywhere, it would at least have a chance (even if it's microscopic, and assuming it's actually a good game) of taking off and becoming something that we might be able to make some money off of, maybe even start a small studio.

I might be a little ambitious/enthusiastic about all of this, but what can I say? I'm a (radical) dreamer...  :lol: 8)

I'm absolutely up for a spiritual successor as well, as it seems many on this forum are as well (mainly due to possible C+D and the lot).

There are Mac emulator-type programs to run RPGMaker games as well, but I'm not saying it must be done on RPG maker, just saying the resources and "doers" are there. As for coding, a lot of it is pre-determined and selection from drop down lists and the like, anything outside the realm of the game's design can usually be found by coders that have already gone the extra mile and made extensions (which are fairly simple to add in) and are free to use.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 11:31:33 am »
So here's the business complication of that -- if it's open to anyone on the forum to contribute, you run into a helluva time dealing with royalties and the like. There would have to be guardrails established; who does what, who gets what payment when, etc. There would have to be contracts in place, etc. Otherwise there's huge liability where some disenfranchised forumite who proposed an idea (that was used) could create legal issues. Not saying it is likely, but unfortunately, people can be assholes, especially when it comes to the internet.

Just to get people thinking if this is something they really want to.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 02:39:26 pm »
So here's the business complication of that -- if it's open to anyone on the forum to contribute, you run into a helluva time dealing with royalties and the like. There would have to be guardrails established; who does what, who gets what payment when, etc. There would have to be contracts in place, etc. Otherwise there's huge liability where some disenfranchised forumite who proposed an idea (that was used) could create legal issues. Not saying it is likely, but unfortunately, people can be assholes, especially when it comes to the internet.

Agreed. Based on the limited amount of time I'd have available I wouldn't expect any money unless it was actually distributed on steam for sale. I'd be perfectly content setting it unto the world pro bono.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 04:12:04 pm »

Royalties are simple if you establish some ground rules from the beginning.  If we're actually serious about doing something then I would be willing to sit down with my lawyer and talk about laying out a boiler plate that we can use to establish a proper royalty system between project members. If we were serious about moving forward I could have him draft something, but I would need some help with the legal fees.  I could get him to work for a more then fair rate, but it would still be a few hundred dollars.

That being said, if/when we start involving money I would strongly discourage allowing people to jump in whenever they feel like it. That's where a lot of problems arise. It's usually the guy that wrote one song, or designed one sprite that feels entitled to the lions share, not the core team. There has to be some level of commitment to this thing rather than a "I'll just work on it when I feel like it." Of course I'm not talking about a steady job since there would be no financial compensation up front...but we would need at least SOME form of accountability/steady progress, even if it's only an a couple of hours a month.

If by some stroke of luck we were able to generate a little buzz out there it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities to launch a kickstarter.  Maybe generate a little something to help out with some of time commitments.

I'd be perfectly content setting it unto the world pro bono.

Of course this is always an option, too!  Though I feel like free RPGmaker projects are a dime a dozen, and would likely just get lost in the crowd.  I guess there's no guarantee that trying to sell it would be any different.  Honestly, I think one of our best chances for success would be trying to get it on the Switch.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 04:16:20 pm by CptOvaltine »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »
Royalties are simple if you establish some ground rules from the beginning.  If we're actually serious about doing something then I would be willing to sit down with my lawyer and talk about laying out a boiler plate that we can use to establish a proper royalty system between project members. If we were serious about moving forward I could have him draft something, but I would need some help with the legal fees.  I could get him to work for a more then fair rate, but it would still be a few hundred dollars.

That being said, if/when we start involving money I would strongly discourage allowing people to jump in whenever they feel like it. That's where a lot of problems arise. It's usually the guy that wrote one song, or designed one sprite that feels entitled to the lions share, not the core team. There has to be some level of commitment to this thing rather than a "I'll just work on it when I feel like it." Of course I'm not talking about a steady job since there would be no financial compensation up front...but we would need at least SOME form of accountability/steady progress, even if it's only an a couple of hours a month.

Agreed and agreed. Let's talk more before we commit to anything, though. Not that you were saying we should commit now, just echoing that we acknowledge that as an option and continue. :)

Of course this is always an option, too!  Though I feel like free RPGmaker projects are a dime a dozen, and would likely just get lost in the crowd.  I guess there's no guarantee that trying to sell it would be any different.  Honestly, I think one of our best chances for success would be trying to get it on the Switch.

So the caveat there would be game engines. RPGmaker is definitely not my first choice, but it is the lowest barrier to entry. And then we have to assume we have people who can use that engine.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 06:23:33 pm »
There would have to be contracts in place, etc. Otherwise there's huge liability where some disenfranchised forumite who proposed an idea (that was used) could create legal issues

That's a risk even if there's no money involved, unfortunately. If this gains momentum, better to have a sign-off form granting perpetual non-exclusive use to the game project of whatever stuff people come up with (I don't think actual copyright transfer is necessary, but I Am Not A Lawyer, and even if I were, I'm not from the country most likely to produce vexatious litigants).

So the caveat there would be game engines. RPGmaker is definitely not my first choice, but it is the lowest barrier to entry. And then we have to assume we have people who can use that engine.

That's kind of cart-before-the-horse at this point. Figure out the gameplay basics first, then find an engine that will accomodate them as easily as possible. (Frex, let's say someone thinks it's cool to inject platformer elements--how easy is it to make RPGMaker handle those, or would a more generalized engine be better? How about paper-doll sprites? Are so many animations needed that it would be better to switch to 3D? etc etc ad nauseum.) There are other engines with visual editors for non-programmers, although they tend to be more generalized.

There are Mac emulator-type programs to run RPGMaker games as well

No Linux ones for most versions of the engine, though, unless things have improved over the past two or three years. And even if there were there's no guarantee they would work. (I've had closed-source games fail on Linux for reasons ranging from "segmentation fault" to "developer forgot to mention that a certain piece of garbage called pulseaudio was required, and apulse appears not to be good enough". As such, I'm rather jaded about the supposed uptick in Linux games.)

(I'm also strung out on painkillers most of the time at this time of year, so adjust the value of anything I say accordingly.)

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 09:58:14 pm »
Agreed and agreed. Let's talk more before we commit to anything, though. Not that you were saying we should commit now, just echoing that we acknowledge that as an option and continue. :)

Agreed! I'm happy to help get the ball rolling, but other then composing the music I would little no help with any of the actual work. 

I see the problem.  I suppose the biggest hurdle here is finding out who is interested in helping out with some of the labor intensive tasks like coding/programming/operating visual editors.  Like alfadorredux said, it might be a bit premature to pick a game engine, but at the same time we have to keep in mind who is willing and available, and what programs they can use or are comfortable using.