Zenan Plains - Site Discussion > Polling

Chrono's Spiritual Successor

<< < (2/12) > >>

Acacia Sgt:
On the subject of, I'd say, I've also been interested in these sorts of things. I'll also admit I'm more of an idea guy than doing stuff like complex coding and the like. Although, well, as mentioned programs like RPG Maker exist to make things easier. Though for me it's more an issue of not having those programs.

Personally, something I'm more inclined to try out is SRPG Studio, since it's more oriented for strategy games than standard RPG's.

alfadorredux:
My personal unwillingness to have anything to do with RPGMaker projects is this: I can't play most RPGMaker games, because most versions of RPGMaker are strictly Windows software (or console/handheld software, and the most modern console I have is a PS2). The workarounds are variously annoying (fragile, expensive . . .)

I was working on an alternative take using a cross-platform engine for a while, but ran out of energy before I produced a combat system or any type of editor. Then I made the mistake of trying to re-write it. Emphasis on "mistake". Ugh.

I have most of the (non-music) skills needed to assemble a fangame All By Myself (not that great a spriter, but capable of recolouring/retouching existing sprites), just not the enthusiasm or the round tuits.

CptOvaltine:

--- Quote from: alfadorredux on October 31, 2018, 06:14:03 pm ---My personal unwillingness to have anything to do with RPGMaker projects is this: I can't play most RPGMaker games, because most versions of RPGMaker are strictly Windows software (or console/handheld software, and the most modern console I have is a PS2). The workarounds are variously annoying (fragile, expensive . . .)

I was working on an alternative take using a cross-platform engine for a while, but ran out of energy before I produced a combat system or any type of editor. Then I made the mistake of trying to re-write it. Emphasis on "mistake". Ugh.

I have most of the (non-music) skills needed to assemble a fangame All By Myself (not that great a spriter, but capable of recolouring/retouching existing sprites), just not the enthusiasm or the round tuits.

--- End quote ---

Again, this could be my ignorance showing, but with Steam opening up the PC gaming market to Mac and Lynix, even in a limited capacity, it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to port/code to be available on a wide variety of systems.

I'm less interested in a fan-made-game...Those have their place, but are limited by a whole lot of things, the least of which is a C&D letter.  Now, an "original" game that is inspired by Trigger/Cross is absolutely appealing to me.  Even if it never goes anywhere, it would at least have a chance (even if it's microscopic, and assuming it's actually a good game) of taking off and becoming something that we might be able to make some money off of, maybe even start a small studio.

I might be a little ambitious/enthusiastic about all of this, but what can I say? I'm a (radical) dreamer...  :lol: 8)

... :picardno

chrono.source:

--- Quote from: CptOvaltine on October 31, 2018, 06:29:26 pm ---
Again, this could be my ignorance showing, but with Steam opening up the PC gaming market to Mac and Lynix, even in a limited capacity, it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to port/code to be available on a wide variety of systems.

I'm less interested in a fan-made-game...Those have their place, but are limited by a whole lot of things, the least of which is a C&D letter.  Now, an "original" game that is inspired by Trigger/Cross is absolutely appealing to me.  Even if it never goes anywhere, it would at least have a chance (even if it's microscopic, and assuming it's actually a good game) of taking off and becoming something that we might be able to make some money off of, maybe even start a small studio.

I might be a little ambitious/enthusiastic about all of this, but what can I say? I'm a (radical) dreamer...  :lol: 8)

--- End quote ---

I'm absolutely up for a spiritual successor as well, as it seems many on this forum are as well (mainly due to possible C+D and the lot).

--- Quote from: alfadorredux on October 31, 2018, 06:14:03 pm ---My personal unwillingness to have anything to do with RPGMaker projects is this: I can't play most RPGMaker games, because most versions of RPGMaker are strictly Windows software (or console/handheld software, and the most modern console I have is a PS2). The workarounds are variously annoying (fragile, expensive . . .)

--- End quote ---

There are Mac emulator-type programs to run RPGMaker games as well, but I'm not saying it must be done on RPG maker, just saying the resources and "doers" are there. As for coding, a lot of it is pre-determined and selection from drop down lists and the like, anything outside the realm of the game's design can usually be found by coders that have already gone the extra mile and made extensions (which are fairly simple to add in) and are free to use.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
So here's the business complication of that -- if it's open to anyone on the forum to contribute, you run into a helluva time dealing with royalties and the like. There would have to be guardrails established; who does what, who gets what payment when, etc. There would have to be contracts in place, etc. Otherwise there's huge liability where some disenfranchised forumite who proposed an idea (that was used) could create legal issues. Not saying it is likely, but unfortunately, people can be assholes, especially when it comes to the internet.

Just to get people thinking if this is something they really want to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version