Zenan Plains - Site Discussion > Polling

Chrono's Spiritual Successor

(1/12) > >>

CptOvaltine:
That's some really interesting stuff.  I would have liked to play through those to see how/what you guys changed/added.

Certainly an interesting premise to say the least. I would have loved to be involved with those back in the day...though like everyone else, I wouldn't have been good for much beyond idea generation and may some music.  Even there, most fan projects I've seen prefer to use the original soundtrack.  I don't know if that's from lack of expertise, or just the nostalgia factor.  Maybe both?

I wish we could take all of these great ideas/talent and develop our own game inspired by Chrono.  I would score that in a heart beat!  Though again, the biggest obstacle would be coders/programmers. It would be so cool to take something in the same vain as the Chrono Break trailer that was released a few months ago and develop it for the Switch, or something like that.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:

--- Quote ---I wish we could take all of these great ideas/talent and develop our own game inspired by Chrono.  I would score that in a heart beat!  Though again, the biggest obstacle would be coders/programmers. It would be so cool to take something in the same vain as the Chrono Break trailer that was released a few months ago and develop it for the Switch, or something like that.
--- End quote ---

Agreed 110%. Six months ago I would have been down to get something up and running. Either a fan game or a potential legit release via Steam or whatever. Now things are so busy I don't know if I'd be able.

I still think a small fan ROM hack would be useful. Akin to Prophet's Guile.

chrono.source:

--- Quote from: Boo the Gentleman Caller on October 30, 2018, 10:40:18 pm ---
--- Quote ---I wish we could take all of these great ideas/talent and develop our own game inspired by Chrono.  I would score that in a heart beat!  Though again, the biggest obstacle would be coders/programmers. It would be so cool to take something in the same vain as the Chrono Break trailer that was released a few months ago and develop it for the Switch, or something like that.
--- End quote ---

Agreed 110%. Six months ago I would have been down to get something up and running. Either a fan game or a potential legit release via Steam or whatever. Now things are so busy I don't know if I'd be able.

--- End quote ---

This is itself is the sole reason I decided to use RPG Maker instead. Not only was the ease of learning there, but so were the resources to build upon it, and if needed, "doers". If anyone was willing to jump on board one of those projects I am fully on board and have had years of experience now. importing a new soundtrack is easy as well (and most welcome).

CptOvaltine:

--- Quote from: chrono.source on October 31, 2018, 09:45:55 am ---
--- Quote from: Boo the Gentleman Caller on October 30, 2018, 10:40:18 pm ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

This is itself is the sole reason I decided to use RPG Maker instead. Not only was the ease of learning there, but so were the resources to build upon it, and if needed, "doers". If anyone was willing to jump on board one of those projects I am fully on board and have had years of experience now. importing a new soundtrack is easy as well (and most welcome).

--- End quote ---

Bare with me, I know next to nothing about RPGmaker, but what are the legal restrictions?  Can you sell what you create with it (assuming all the content within is original)? I assume the programming language is different, but how well could it be ported/adapted to other consoles if at all?

Classic pixel art TB RPGs are making a come back right now. If we could put something together and market it as a spiritual successor to Trigger/Cross I think we could actually have a little success! Especially if we could get it onto the Switch/PS4/Xbox. We might not ever make any money, but someone might really enjoy it.  Of course this is all easy for me to say, I wouldn't be able to help with anything except the music, and maybe some of the marketing/legal tasks...

I've always wanted to write music for an RPG. Back in the day I was a part of a forum called Epic Center Games that was centered around creating their own RPG.  They had a lot of really talented writers, and come coders/artists, but eventually everything died out and it never really made it much past the concept phase. That was really my first and last exposure to writing for a game.  I've wanted to try again ever since.

Boo the Gentleman Caller:

--- Quote ---Bare with me, I know next to nothing about RPGmaker, but what are the legal restrictions?  Can you sell what you create with it (assuming all the content within is original)? I assume the programming language is different, but how well could it be ported/adapted to other consoles if at all?
--- End quote ---

You can sell. There are a few really good one's on Steam, actually - Ara Fell is one that took ten years, but has turned out to be amazing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version