Author Topic: Bedtime Story  (Read 2820 times)

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Bedtime Story
« on: October 30, 2018, 01:45:52 am »
I tell the little one a story every night. Like, every. Night. I'm seriously out of stories. But a few days ago he asked me to tell the Chrono Trigger story again. Yay! I can stretch that out over several weeks, probably.

So I figured I'd share, that's what I'm up to around 9 every night.

Marle just disappeared when everyone thought she was Leene.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Bedtime Story
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 02:22:34 am »
You use CT as a bedtime story? Heh, nice.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 02:45:16 am »
That's awesome! I did the same thing with Ocarina of Time. We generally did one "dungeon" per story.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 11:37:58 am »
A Chrono Trigger Children's bedtime story...... I like it. Who's up for collaborating on this project?

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:20:24 pm »
This is only slightly related, but there's a group called Coffemug that has been working on an audio book version of Chrono Trigger.  They're up through looking for the food stores in the future.  This reminded me of that. haha

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 10:18:25 pm »
If I could obtain square's blessing/whatever, I'd LOVE to novelize CT. I'd change a few things to make it a bit more realistic (Ayla a caveman instead of dinosaur times, maybe?), but Square is so crazy they told Crimson Echoes to cease and desist when they had no footing to demand it. So, doubt it would ever happen.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 11:03:40 pm »
What do you mean by that with Ayla?

Anyway, this reminds me that SE has done novelizations of games. Usually their own like a few of the Final Fantasies, but unless I'm mistaken, they've been involved with games outside their ownership.

It's hard to tell, but I remember this from another site:

https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/40629-pictures-of-the-elibe-saga-novels/

It's about a novelization of one of the Fire Emblem games. Unfortunately, that thread's pictures seem to be long gone, but as pointed out by, well, myself (yes, I'm also a user there, with the same username as here), the book had Square-Enix's name in there. Even if they're just publishing the novel and didn't make it themselves, that nonetheless means they are involved to a degree with video game novels. Perhaps I could ask that guy (he's still around, sort of) if he has the pictures to show.

Point is, perhaps it may not be as far-fetched as you think. Then again, that doesn't mean it'd be easy.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 08:29:16 am »
Considering it would be a kids book, with original illustrations..... it would be very easy to simply not have any names attached and be free from the grasp of SE, no? (at least to a certain point) -as long as it doesn't go commercial

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 05:00:36 pm »
If I could obtain square's blessing/whatever, I'd LOVE to novelize CT. I'd change a few things to make it a bit more realistic (Ayla a caveman instead of dinosaur times, maybe?), but Square is so crazy they told Crimson Echoes to cease and desist when they had no footing to demand it. So, doubt it would ever happen.

Things like that seem to be a lot easier to produce when you go through back channels rather than to SE directly. (Sending a sample of the manuscript to the games original writer for example.)  If you can get their blessing, then usually they have some sort of pull in the actual company.  At the very least it gets a pair of eyes on it that can actually make decisions, rather than the standard pre-written rejection letters... At least that's how it works in the music industry.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 10:07:56 pm »
Finally got a response. If anyone was curious:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/1c0ecfd1d6b2203f1efd6c34ddca37bf/tumblr_inline_mnu5ka1v381qz4rgp.jpg

There you go, Fire Emblem novelizations with Square Enix's name there on the covers. Still think they probably were just involved with the publishing or something, but it was with stuff not of their property. So yeah.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 01:15:36 pm »
A Chrono Trigger bedtime story, that's really cool, ThatGuy! You must tell it well if your kid asks to hear it again!

I remember there was someone who was writing a novelization of Trigger. I wonder what happened to it. The Coffeemug audio versions have been great.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:17:55 pm by Kodokami »

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 03:47:49 am »
I don't know how well I tell it, but after... what? A thousand days of stories probably, he can deal with a repeat.

Actually, I don't think we finished it the first time. Kid's got an attention span like

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:48 pm »
I don't know how well I tell it, but after... what? A thousand days of stories probably, he can deal with a repeat.

Actually, I don't think we finished it the first time. Kid's got an attention span like

I see what you did there. :P

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 10:15:32 pm »
I love this idea soooooo much!!!