Author Topic: It seems odd that no on ever used CT's battle system again.  (Read 2007 times)

WeirdRaptor

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Personally speaking, I love Chrono Trigger's setup for combining attacks, encouraging players to experiment around to see what attacks from which characters can work. I know the game was always popular, so it baffles me that no one ever thought to use it again after this.

Also, I think having to prove I'm not a robot and answer two trivia questions about the game in order to post is a little much.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: It seems odd that no on ever used CT's battle system again.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 03:36:46 pm »
Also, I think having to prove I'm not a robot and answer two trivia questions about the game in order to post is a little much.

I... didn't know that was a registration requirement. We were getting a lot of bots, though, so I'm sure that's why that was implemented.

As for similar battles systems, apparently I Am Setsuna imitates the battle system almost entirely. I haven't played it, though, so I can't confirm. It's one of those games I say I will likely play at some point, but have yet to do so.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:05:51 pm »
Personally speaking, I love Chrono Trigger's setup for combining attacks, encouraging players to experiment around to see what attacks from which characters can work. I know the game was always popular, so it baffles me that no one ever thought to use it again after this.

You mean the Double and Tripple Techs? The concept was reused, for "Final Fantasy IV: The After Years". When you consider the game has a 5-man party and around 20 party members, they really went to town with the possible combinations, hahaha. Then again, some still fall on the flaw that sometimes just using solo attacks is more efficient, but they're there.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 10:08:44 am »
Also if you are referring to the map battle system, someone from either here or reddit mentioned the game Cosmic Star Heroine, which i checked out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Q08qOVl6Q

Looks fairly reminiscent of CT.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 12:50:39 am »
Also if you are referring to the map battle system, someone from either here or reddit mentioned the game Cosmic Star Heroine, which i checked out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Q08qOVl6Q

Welp, after 10 minutes of watching gameplay, I want it. It's even on Steam! I've added it to my wishlist and will have to grab it eventually. Reviews have been great, too!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 10:14:29 pm »
There was also Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled for DS. Its battle system and overall spritework was heavily CT-inspired.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 11:19:39 pm »
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled

I so wanted to play that game! Faustwolf, myself, and a few others were also desperately seeking a ROM and/or assets of the game so we could rip them for potential Chrono Trigger fangames. We never got much.

I ended up deciding not to play due to reviews; I remember several major bugs being in the final release, and there being some kind of complaints around the battle system (or maybe it was the frequency; I can't recall now). Plus, it was crazy hard to find at the time.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 10:58:38 am »

Welp, after 10 minutes of watching gameplay, I want it. It's even on Steam! I've added it to my wishlist and will have to grab it eventually. Reviews have been great, too!

Let me know how it goes. I'd be interested to know how high a Chrono fan rates it.

Nangbaby

• Porrean (+50)
  • Frankenspriter at Large
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 04:49:11 am »

I remember having to answer questions like that to join other fan forums. In a spam-filled world, it's an unfortunate reality.

As for why no one ever duplicated Chrono Trigger's system...probably because it is hard to duplicate, and only SquareEnix would have the source code...and they might not even have it any more.

It's telling that to this day, there is still no Chrono Engine that could be used to create similar games. With Chrono Trigger you not only have to worry about area of effect of character abilities or even all of the different combination of techs (factorials of the number of cast members), you also have to worry about individualized enemy behavior.

Unless we attract the fans with the skills, time, and drive to dedicate themselves to making a game -- or at least an engine -- with a Chrono-like system, it isn't going to happen. And if diehard Chrono fans won't do it, game developers definitely aren't going to bother with re-using a system from a nearly 25 year old game.

I'd love for it to happen, but I've accepted it won't happen.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 08:38:17 pm »

Let me know how it goes. I'd be interested to know how high a Chrono fan rates it.

I've played both I Am Setsuna, and Cosmic Star Heroin.  Both have their strengths...The battle system in Setsuna is pretty similar to Trigger, but like most TB RPGS today, it's easy.  It's actually easier to rely on physical attacks, or single character area attacks.  The tech system is there, but is a little confusing with all of the rune stuff you have to equip to use anything.  The game never really provides any incentive to actually figure out the system, as you can basically hack everything to death.  It is important to learn some healing techs though.

Setsuna's biggest downfall is that it's just kind of...boring. The premise is cool, and it does have a certain Trigger vibe to it, but the sensationalism wears off quickly once you realize the game never really develops...both in terms of story and character.  It's all very one dimensional, which is really too bad since it has all of the right components to be great...it just wasn't.

All in all I think it's worth playing, but I wouldn't expect this to give you that return to Trigger feeling that many of us were hoping for.  I'm not sure I would pay full price for it knowing what I know now, but it's certainly worth a look if you can nab it for $15 or so.

Cosmic Star Heroin is great, albeit with some issues!  It's an awesome throwback to SNES style RPGs when a cheesy "action movie" plot and retro 80s synth music. The battle system itself isn't all that complex, but how the game makes you use it can be!  I played it on the hardest setting, and there were constantly situations where you had to plan out your moves and tactics or it was an instant game over.  I found it to be a really enjoyable game! The story and character development felt...young...but it also doesn't take itself very seriously, so honestly I didn't mind.  It was easy to take the game for what it was. That being said, if you aren't into a serious story presented comically that implements every cliche in the book, this might not be the game for you.

All in all both are fun games.  Setsuna gives the impression that they wanted to do so much more but either didn't know how, or didn't have the resources.  It's a short, maybe 10 to 15 hour story with very little development. They basically hand you the plot in the first 10 minutes, and it never strays for the entire game.

Cosmic Star is a little longer, I think I clocked in close to 30 hours to get the platinum on PS.  It's a tongue in cheek throwback to the 80s built to resemble the SNES platform.  It's not an overly deep game, but it has the feeling of pulling out your old system and playing a classic that you remember fondly. I'd love to see them take on a serious game in the same style...maybe with better writers and a different composer for the score.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 02:45:38 am »
I liked it too, I agree with ya. I also liked Secret of Mana's battle system, specially that ring they had.

Saga Frontier had combination attacks you sort of had to guess it, it used 5 people so it got a bit confusing, that was a very different game.