Author Topic: Possibility for Chrono Cross to be in the Playstation Classic?  (Read 1805 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Possibility for Chrono Cross to be in the Playstation Classic?
« on: October 01, 2018, 03:41:31 pm »
Does anyone think Cross could be among the chosen 20 titles to be included in the PS1 Classic? So far only 5 titles have been revealed for the thing, back when it was first announced, so that still leaves 15 titles to reveal. Well, possibly more, if they go for region-exclusive titles like what Nintendo did with their NES and SNES Classics.

Personally, I'd hope so. Trigger missed out being on the SNES Classic, so it'd be nice if at least Cross makes it in to this. It could also give it another rerelease and exposure, considering it only ever got one, for the Playstation Network. Compared to Trigger and is rereleases, Cross is starting to get quite a bit behind.

So, what does everybody think?

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility for Chrono Cross to be in the Playstation Classic?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 03:56:58 pm »
I've actually been wondering this myself. I would love to see it on there!

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 04:06:54 pm »
I very much doubt it. With only 20 slots and multiple genres to represent, RPGs will probably only get three or four slots, and two of them are already taken by Final Fantasy 7 and Wild Arms. And I'd almost be willing to bet Final Fantasy Tactics will be on there.

I'd love to be wrong though. Maybe since the Playstation had so many RPGs, that genre will be represented more heavily.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 04:08:39 pm by Razig »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 05:48:26 pm »
I could see it being a downloadable title down the road. I've heard rumors that they are going to have additional titles that are downloadable post-launch. Chrono Cross would likely be a round two contender. It did, after all, gain Greatest Hits status during the original run on the PSX.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 04:32:41 am »
I'd think that the Final Fantasy...whatever collection CD that had Trigger, FF5 and FF6 on it is more likely. If I recall correctly when Cross came out, it's reception a year later was that people were STILL talking about ff7 and CC just wasn't as good. Its by no means a classic if ya ask me, though personally I didn't like it, games like Tekken, MK3 ultimate and maybe Saga Frontier or Brave Fencer Musashi will make the cut, as they are more 'nostalgic' for a 'classic' console. That's why FF7 will be be there and FF8 won't. FF8 was better in every way shape and form on paper that's quantifiable, but as a memory or an experience, no question which is the classic.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 09:24:08 am »
Note: the CD set you're talking about is Final Fantasy Chronicles, and contains CT and FFIV. FFV and FFVI were on a different set, Final Fantasy Anthology. (Just went over to the game shelf to check.)

Other than that, I wasn't impressed with the final selection on the PSClassic either (I mean, Revelations: Persona? Whose idea was that? I've played the game, and it's deeply flawed to the point of being tedious and painful to play sometimes). They really should have put out versions focusing on specific game genres--an RPGClassic with all the Square and Enix releases of the era, Suikoden I and II, WildArms 1 and 2, Koudelka, Persona 2 (both of them), Star Ocean: the Second Story, the PSX-era Tales of games, etc. is something that I would at least consider buying, even though I already own legit PSX disc copies of most of those games.

Of course, it turned out that inside the cute plastic shell, there's an off-the-shelf ARM-based board running a lightly-modded version of PCSX, and people have already started to hack it. I give it a year at most before someone figures out how to hook up an external CD drive and make it play whatever you want.

Dialga_Palkia

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 10:35:07 pm »
The snes classic can run PSX roms pretty well. Before you question that, yes there is a way to use the LR2 buttons.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:00 pm »
I remember laughing when I found about that.

As for the buttons I'm guessing you can plug in a different controller that has them, no?