Author Topic: Easter eggs/cool stuff  (Read 2126 times)

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Easter eggs/cool stuff
« on: July 18, 2018, 11:18:36 am »
Working on battle sound fx led to me mucking around in the game, and even after many years and playthroughs, I still made a few discoveries.

If you return to the Middle Ages after defeating Magus:
• the people of Guardia Castle express their gratitude for helping them win the human-mystic war, and if you bring Frog, you get special dialogue.
• over in Manoria Cathedral, there's a nun (real, not fake) who gives you encouraging words.

Pardon me if this was posted before, I just wanted to share with all. I thought I had known all the details of the game, so it was really cool to find something new.

Other points of interest which are probably known:
• Singing Mountain (it's unfortunate this wasn't included, it always bothered me that the east side of the continent in prehistory was empty)
• the unused dungeon under the Blue Pyramid
• the unused cutscene accessed via Schala's room
• You can introduce your party members to Chrono's Mom. If you visit her while Chrono is gone, your characters lie about the situation, and Bottom of the Night plays.

If you've got more easter eggs or details to discuss, feel free to post em. This thread can be a repository for any and all obscure content.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Re: Easter eggs/cool stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 01:38:10 pm »
If you have Marle in your party and you go visit the King before you get the Rainbow Shell, you'll get special dialog. I do it every time I play it now!

*side note* Make sure you have a jerky with you. :)

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 02:05:41 pm »
In the Geno Dome, sometimes a robot will charge up in the energy pod and go unlock the door to the south. I had never seen this until I was watching a friend play the game recently, and I'm still not sure how to trigger it.

Also, until yesterday I had never noticed how counterattacks sometimes cause odd behavior when they kill an enemy, despite the fact that I almost always have Ayla in my team and equipped with the Rage Band or FrenzyBand. Details in this thread.

If you have Marle in your party and you go visit the King before you get the Rainbow Shell, you'll get special dialog. I do it every time I play it now!

After you get the cutscene where King Guardia XXI sends the Knight Captain to retrieve the Rainbow Shell, if you return to the shell's location you'll see the captain and some of his men preparing to lift it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:41:05 pm by Razig »

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 08:05:56 pm »
In the room with the Guardian boss fight, if you press X, some enemies will appear to fight you. If your timing is good, this can be done in the intro sequence too.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 02:35:27 pm »
Also, until yesterday I had never noticed how counterattacks sometimes cause odd behavior when they kill an enemy, despite the fact that I almost always have Ayla in my team and equipped with the Rage Band or FrenzyBand. Details in this thread.
the Bantam Imp thread inspired this one. I thought about piggybacking off that thread, but decided to post a new one.

In the room with the Guardian boss fight, if you press X, some enemies will appear to fight you. If your timing is good, this can be done in the intro sequence too.
this has to be some kind of beta test feature that was left in.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 03:45:13 pm »
Dang. I don't really have anything easter egg-wise. I feel like any lesser known aspects are more widely known...

...uh...

If you visit the Huntings Grounds in 65 Million BC, you can battle a nu hidden away to the left of the area. But only when it rains. He can be Twin Charmed for a Mop, which is Crono's ultimate weapons (ahem, ahem).

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 04:20:09 pm »

I think it's intentional, but lacks refinement. If you open the menu, enemies sneak up on you. Unfortunately the code doesn't allow for specific menu button checks, so it's always X.

If you visit the Huntings Grounds in 65 Million BC, you can battle a nu hidden away to the left of the area. But only when it rains. He can be Twin Charmed for a Mop, which is Crono's ultimate weapons (ahem, ahem).

That applies to every Nu in the game, except 3 of the Nus in the 6 Nu fight.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 06:26:45 pm »

I think it's intentional, but lacks refinement. If you open the menu, enemies sneak up on you. Unfortunately the code doesn't allow for specific menu button checks, so it's always X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUC-EPvCcg

sure enough, it's true. as you said, it's very unpolished. enemies sneaking up on you for menu'ing is a cool idea, but it seems like the implementation is half-finished. I would've liked to see them flesh it out more, and use it in more places. one of my many favorite things about the game is how it plays around with meta-references and 4th wall breaks, e.g. Dalton demanding a music change on the Blackbird, and the Johnny encounter. when you first get to Johnny, you're surrounded by robots and it plays battle music, only to switch over to Johnny's theme when he arrives. as the player, you react as if you're about to do battle, then it gets subverted; so you the player share your characters experience.

this is going off on a tangent, but I just wanted to state my thoughts.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 10:12:55 pm »
That applies to every Nu in the game, except 3 of the Nus in the 6 Nu fight.

Oh...  :(

I, uh, guess I'll show myself out...

:picardno

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 10:26:53 pm »
Here's one. Nus can only kill you in the six Nu fight. The others just reduce your HP to 1 forever.

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 11:45:12 pm »

i only discovered that less than a year ago on a play-through... was maybe too exciting

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 04:45:49 am »
I don't know  if this counts, but when you go see Crono's mom, she says something about every new character the first time you meet her. She comment's on Ayla's clothing, or lack of. "But Ayla like..." Makes me smile every time.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 03:20:15 pm »
Oh nice! Another two fun ones:

-Crono's mom gives you 200g if you talk to her again.
-There's a secret shrine to Magus in the Cathedral of 600AD... and it has a cool Berserker Ring.