Author Topic: Chrono Cross Music on Television?  (Read 2404 times)

PolarisJunkie

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • The Eye-Scream Fansite
Chrono Cross Music on Television?
« on: July 12, 2018, 09:57:22 pm »
Hello everyone. I apologize if this isn't the space for this but this has been bugging me for years and was curious if anyone else knew of it.

As a middle schooler I was a big fan of the show Lizzie McGuire and I remember one specific episode used a bit of the music from The Chronopolis stage in Chrono Cross. Now I have no idea if the Chronopolis track sampled anything to make this whole point moot, but I was curious if anyone else remembers this also (if anyone actually watched Lizzie McGuire that is XD)?

The episode title is called "She Said, He Said, She Said." It starts at around 9:16. Will provide the link. Again I apologize if this isn't the right place for this.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5h1iwc

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Cross Music on Television?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 10:29:11 pm »
Hmm, well, hearing them side by side... I can kinda hear a similarity. The one in Lizzie McGuire goes faster than the initial notes of the Chrono Cross one, but I think they do sound alike. Though I can't really say for sure.

Also, I don't think it would make things moot if the Chronopolis track sampled anything. Actually, Chrono Cross existed before the show, so if something happened, it would be the show sampling the CC track. If there was such thing involved.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 12:12:47 am »
Very interesting!

My wager would be they used the same instrumental samples for sounds. The beat itself isn't all that unique, so you add that beat with the same industrial-esque sound sample could definitely cause for a correlative sound.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 02:04:27 am »
I found this same thing in another song once before, though that YouTube page is now deleted and I can't seem to find that particular version of Marik's Theme right now.

More recently, I heard it again in FFX-2's Zanarkand Ruins.

Never thought I'd hear it in Lizzie McGuire of all places! I'd agree with Boo that it's the same instrumental sample.

PolarisJunkie

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • The Eye-Scream Fansite
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:33:36 pm »
Thanks for responding everyone!

I def. agree with you all. It must be a sample sound or something that was used in Chronopolis as well for it to be in so many different songs and sounds. It kind of reminds me of the opening to Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo 64 where a soundbyte of children laughing can be heard but I have almost assuredly heard that exact same sound file on a multitude of different things from other games to television to film.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 11:34:39 pm »
You definitely have a good ear for catching familiar sounds!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 04:17:39 pm »
That's hilarious! I never would have picked up on that!  Mostly because I didn't become super familiar with Cross's music while the show was airing, but I did watch as a kid!

I think what Boo said is exactly right.  Sounds like they used the same sample set, not necessarily sampling the CC track.

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 04:24:01 pm »
It was a popular synth patch loop in the 90s. Some tracks in some Spyro games also used it. Chronopolis' music is mostly just Mitsuda doing some piano work over a loop.  Nowadays we have far more powerful tools like the SPectrasonics Stylus and Stylus RMX and Omnisphere 2 etc so that you won't quite hear the same loops twice. But in the 90s, this was the extent of the technology. Think of it as early AI involvement in music composition. There's probably a thousand tv shows in the 90s that also used this loop.

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 02:23:23 am »
I like how you went and mentioned this, I sometimes catch something myself but people say I'm making it up. So glad you posted this!