Author Topic: Childhood's Dream [Written Word (Short Form)]  (Read 3288 times)

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
Childhood's Dream [Written Word (Short Form)]
« on: May 09, 2018, 01:38:00 pm »
Alright, this is my first entry to this Dream Splash (hopefully not the last, barring procrastination issues). This is a companion peice to my new Reflections project. Set though they eyes of a young boy in Zeal, he is dragged by a certain girl to a spot precious to her, in which he sees a glimpse of her father's dream through her eyes, and for the first time, understands what kindness is.

Edit: (Unfortunately, I have no way to check if I was able to make this under 500 words without losing count or going mad. If anyone can help out with that, I would appreciate it.) Thanks Mauron.

-------------

Another festival in the city square. The adults talk about Bekkler a lot. They say he was in an accident which is why he looks the way he does. I'd rather sleep, but since it's Foundation Day, Enhasa is closed until night.

Oh well. It's not like I have anything else to do.

The adults take one look at me in the crowd and promptly turn their noses away, as usual.

People are jerks.

Before I can turn to leave, a feel a hand grab on mine. For a moment I begin to panic, thinking that the old man is pulling me away to lock me in my room again.

Except the hand seems even smaller than mine, and I calm down.

For a second, all I can see is a cascade of purple and blue before she turns around, and I am assaulted by the greenest eyes I've ever seen.

She puts a finger to her lips before dragging me out of the crowd. They still don't see me. They don't care.

We make our way out of the festival grounds until we reach a large walled-off clearing. Part of me could have sworn I saw a guard yawning before the girl drages me through the entrance.

There are yellow flowers everywhere.

She plops down on the ground and pats the spot next to her. Dumbfounded, I sit next to her.

That's when the fireworks start.

It is literal fire, taking the shape of the girl depicted on those statues in the palace. It is a journey of someone starting life at the bottom of society, and through magic, determination, and ingenuity, raised a kingdom from the earth into the sky.

Seing the origin of our kingdom in this light, I finally see why the adults do as they do. Why they think as they do. For a brief moment, a fire I never knew existed lit up within me.

"It's Daddy's dream," I hear her say.

My attention is now focused soley on this girl who went out of her way to show me this gift. Her clothes look far fancier than anything in Kajar or Enhasa. Could she be an upper noble from the palace?

Almost as if to answer my question, I hear cries of "Lady Schala" in the distance.

Schala.

Schala.

I've never heard of a name so pretty before.

Looking to the source of the cries and pouting, Schala turns back to me, once more putting a finger to her lips before taking my hand again and pulling me towards what seems like another adventure.

For the first time that I can remember, my lips curl into a smile.

If people like her exist, then maybe they aren't so bad after all.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:05:01 pm by skylark »

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Childhood's Dream [Written Word (Short Form)]
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 01:43:21 pm »
You're at 458 words.

That was an interesting read. Nice.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:33 pm »
I like this! Very slice-of-lifey. Man, if there's more to the story, I'd like to know.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:15:26 pm »
Nice, keep going!

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 04:55:57 pm »
I like this! I want to read more!