Author Topic: Other RPGs?  (Read 4766 times)

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Other RPGs?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 09:13:44 pm »
What I did love about it, though, was how progressive it was. SNES-era game with a true day-night cycle (with altering enemies for various time of days), a legitimate class-change system, another great Mana soundtrack, and stellar graphics all stood out to me as positives.
Forgot to respond to this part.

Have you played Ogre Battle? It has:

• A day-night cycle which affects combat (good units are stronger during the day, and evil units are stronger at night).

• A class system based on level, alignment, and charisma (having a high alignment and high charisma is pretty easy to manage, but developing a low alignment while maintaining a decent charisma—a requirement for some of the more powerful evil classes—can be a challenge).

• A great soundtrack (although it's unfortunately a short one).

• The graphics aren't really anything to write home about, but three out of four ain't bad. The map screen where you'll spend most of your time is pretty bare bones. The in-battle sprites look nice, but the animation is very limited.

Like I mentioned previously, it's more strategy game than RPG, but based on what you've said here I think you'd enjoy it. It's not for everyone, but I'd definitely recommend that everyone at least give it a try.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 11:56:14 pm »
Have you played Ogre Battle?

I haven't, but the GBA remake is on my "to play" list. I enjoy strategy RPGs but have to be in the mood for them. Learning about the gameplay mechanics you listed make me excited to play it! I had no idea!

My favorite place to grind is on the side quest for Robo at the factory. I have played that chute more times than I care to admit!!

Same here! This is where I grind for the easy tech points (Gold Stud ftw) to get everyone's full techs. And then the Black Omen for the EXP.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 02:57:30 am »
Have you played Ogre Battle?

I haven't, but the GBA remake is on my "to play" list. I enjoy strategy RPGs but have to be in the mood for them. Learning about the gameplay mechanics you listed make me excited to play it! I had no idea!
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis (the GBA one) is its own thing, not a remake. I haven't played it, so I can't vouch for it, but considering its pedigree I can't imagine it being bad.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (the sequel to Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen) has radically different gameplay than its predecessor. It was remade for the PSP, which may be what you were thinking of. It plays more like Final Fantasy Tactics—or rather Final Fantasy Tactics plays like it, since it actually predates that much more famous game. That's because the same person (Yasumi Matsuno) directed all three; Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre at Quest, then Final Fantasy Tactics at Square.

Anyway, to distinguish between the wildly different styles, later games that played like the original were called Ogre Battle (Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber and the Japan-only Legend of Ogre Battle Gaiden: Prince of Zenobia), and games that played like the sequel were called Tactics Ogre (of which there was only Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis).

Unfortunately, I think we're unlikely to ever see another entry in the series, because Square now owns the rights to it and it doesn't have "Final" or "Fantasy" in the title.
:(

My favorite place to grind is on the side quest for Robo at the factory. I have played that chute more times than I care to admit!!

Same here! This is where I grind for the easy tech points (Gold Stud ftw) to get everyone's full techs. And then the Black Omen for the EXP.
My favorite spot for TP is the Mountain of Woe. Shortly after the first save point, there's a chain off to the right. Kill the group of Gargoyles and Bantam Imps that appear, then follow the chain to an island with a Rubble on it. Unlike other Rubbles, this one respawns when you re-enter the screen. Kill it, run back to the save point, save, soft reset, load, repeat. You'll have to fight that group each time, but it's easily dealt with. If you don't feel like resetting, you can leave the screen the same way you entered, but you'll have to fight an extra group of Gargoyles that way. At 100 TP per Rubble, you can get everyone except Magus all their techs fairly quickly. The only snag is that the Rubble's huge evasion means it will sometimes escape and leave you empty-handed.

For regular EXP, the Geno Dome conveyor belt is my favorite spot in the original game. You can't beat the convenience of enemies lining up to be killed! In the DS version, however, there's an even better spot in the 12,000 BC Dimensional Vortex where you fight two Snowbeasts. Each one is worth 2,200 EXP, they respawn if you leave the screen, and it's a very short walk to do so (although it's quite a long walk to get to this particular screen in the first place). They have a lot of hit points, but by the time you can access this area your (non-water) AoE techs should make pretty short work of them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 03:19:30 pm by Razig »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 03:07:10 am »
Huh, the Ogre games are now property of SE? Interesting.

I think of those I've only played Knights of Lodis. It was certainly an interesting game, but I never made it far. I think the farthest I reached was like the half-way point.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 04:31:55 pm »
So I've been playing Dragon Quest 6 and I just found FF Exvios for free in the App Store so I'm trying that too. I'm still trying to find my keyboard since we moved so I can resume crimson Echoes too. LOL

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius used to be really good, for a freemium game. Paying players had an advantage, of course, but free players could still participate and do well in every event if they were persistent. I was really impressed that a microtransaction-driven game wasn't pay-to-win... At least until last year's Halloween event. If you weren't a whale, you might as well forget having any success whatsoever. I dropped the game like a hot potato.

I hate to be negative, but don't expect too much from it unless you're willing to open your wallet.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 08:54:47 pm »
It’s free so I figured I’d try it and see how I like it. I’m not too invested in it right now too be honest. We’ll have to see how it goes!! Thank you for the input though, that’s good to know!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 10:50:00 am »
Completely off topic -- and I'm about to depart and will be offline for about 5 days -- but I really want a Switch. After watching the e3 trailers and seeing the sprites firsthand (which do have a certain Chrono Trigger-esque feel to them), Octopath Traveler has me completely hooked. I mean, I loved the Bravely Default series, so I love the developer.

Just had to get that off my chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1-BHwB5_rg

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 02:38:18 pm »
WHAT?! Gone for 5 days? WHATEVER SHALL WE DO??  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I want a Switch sooooo bad. I really want to play the new Zelda game on there and I'm DYING to play I am Setsuna. Hopefully by the end of the year! Hubby's hours have been cut at work as well as mine so money is so tight right now. Ugh!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 04:40:26 am »
Zelda! (Because it's totally an RPG and anyone who says otherwise is a lying liar who lies)
A Link to the Past
Ocarina of Time

If you're looking for a 2D Zelda RPG, I'd add Minish Cap  along with A Link to the Past. For some reason it always gets overlooked, but I personally found it to be pretty enjoyable. When I started that game, I just couldn't put it down.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 04:46:14 am »
That said, there are quite a few RPGs I really want to get into now.

First of which is Fire Emblem, because it seems like the kind of series that would really appeal to me.

Another is the Trails series, and here's why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaN2G-AEd9Q

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 09:33:34 am »
I can't believe I left out Fire Emblem, I'm heavily into that right now. Fire Emblem Heroes for mobile is good, not as satisfying as the platform games: radiant dawn, awakening, etc.

Also A friend of mine just got me into The World Ends with You. Amazing so far; definitely along the anime-genre so you may be into that also.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 12:51:58 pm »
I have Trails of Cold Steel I and II sitting in my backlog. I guess I should start on one of those.