Zenan Plains - Site Discussion > General Discussion

Boo's Thread of Multiple Existential Crisises

<< < (6/6)

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYclZ8nq_w

@6:20 -- "If I can't be happy now, then why will I be happy in the future? If I'm not happy about who I am, then this is not going to change in the future no matter what I will have or what I won't have."

Man, this spoke to me.

Autumn is here, the days are getting shorter, and that existential dread is seeping in...

pseudonymous_traveller:
Prophetic thread, do you have a gate key I could borrow to go back to before 2020?
Jokes aside, the modern internet is pretty much made to addict us and give the illusion of social activity.

--- Quote ---SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE, almost everyone connected via technology. It's morbidly fascinating. It's almost an intangible feeling, but it's both beautiful and horrifying at the same time.
--- End quote ---
I wonder if it's one of those reverse psychology things. People in smaller communities know each other, look out for each other, and form a tribe, but tribalism can't really be extended to a million people, a billion people, so on and so forth ad infinitum.

--- Quote ---Freedom gives you choice and agency, but it can also create a sense of drift and aimlessness.
--- End quote ---
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

--- Quote ---The more snowflakey a generation gets, the more detached they seem to be from each other, despite all the preaching of love and harmony. Everything is surface-level, because everybody is disposable, and no real connection is ever made.
--- End quote ---
True. You have to wonder if it's not by design, given how out of control, chaotic, and polarized the world seems to be at this point. A people divided is a people subservient.

Welcome to the Compendium, pseudonymous_traveller! I don't think we got to meet yet. :D

Yeah, sorry of funny how my late night musings sort of predated and explosion of similar feelings in the covid and post-covid eras.

Admittedly, those feelings of disenfranchisement and frustration usually remain. A lack of real, honest connection persists, but I often catch myself realizing that I actually have a lot of these connections that I think I lack... sometimes I just take them for granted.

We moved in early 2020 due to my job (right before covid) and now live in a rural town, and we're more plugged in now than we've ever been. Some of that is just by meeting people through events in our small town, some of it is also because of kids and their school. Either way, it absolutely is a reflection of the tribalism you speak of.

I do get a little frustrated with it from time to time (being social can be exhausting), and sometimes I feel frustrated because when you put yourself out there sometimes it doesn't go like you want. Feelings can be messy, hahaha... but I do believe strongly that humans are social creatures and we've evolved with a need for socialization.

--- Quote ---A people divided is a people subservient.
--- End quote ---

Preach. When we're at each other's throats, the unseen enemy sneaks in and just pulls the noose. It's so frustrating and even being cognizant of it sometimes has to be a cognizant effort.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version