Author Topic: Let's Play - LUNAR: Eternal Blue Complete  (Read 1539 times)

VidKid369

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play - LUNAR: Eternal Blue Complete
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2023, 06:49:13 am »
Hey, Boo!! I've been busy running around these past few days, so I'm happy we're actually taking it super slow. I'm still in the Sluice Forest I'm gonna see the scene with Lucia and perverted Hiro then I'm gonna make my way to Azado. by what you said I'm probably gonna have to go back to the Sluice Forest to grind for Silver to get all the equipment upgrades but I'll probably talk to the townspeople in between battle.

Oh, I usually watch the Making of disc as a bonus / treat whenever I finish a playthrough anyway. O-M-G that you haven't watched the EBC Making of disc you're in for a treat!!!

I actually dunno why I like Lemina, it's been so long ago that I first played and had my favorite characters that I dunno where the love stemmed from. I think it's just because I liked Mia so much in the first game SSSC that it trickled down to her ancestor fellow Ausa gal Lemina. :shrug: I've always liked all the Ausa women cause they always have a variation of the name -ia. lol Lemia, Mia, Miria, Lemina. :p

I've just been running around buying things for the farmhouse that I need like: kitchen spray to get all the grease/oil splatter near the stoves, random cleaning supplies like just dustrags and things to wipe things off with, I also bought some groceries because I'm trying to be a chef in the kitchen / make "healthy" foods since I'm in the middle of a weightloss journey. I've also been doing a lot of e-shopping so I have to wait around for deliveries all day and such. Just in general trying to keep myself busy with a lot of sweeping and cleaning the bathroom everyday, we have a lot of dust here on the farm cause Zambales is like really dry and hot (not like desert though). Dust gets in the house everyday and if I don't clean it off the floors I cough a lot when I'm trying to go to sleep in bed at night. I'm also taking care of my dogs (not that that's really all that important) just buying them stuff they need and such. I try not to get too emotionally attached to my animals after the trauma of losing my first dog but I can't help it and I'm always looking for new treats, doggy toys, blankets & beds that'll make them feel more comfortable in the place. I bought some mouthwash too.

Lol I could go on and on but don't worry about me and our playthrough I'm having a great time and a blast just getting to really analyze the game that much more deeply. Being stuck in a town for days really helps me if I want to go back and re-read everyone's lines again that I might've not understood the first time though? Anyway, yeah, lol...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2023, 01:23:53 am »
Hey homie! I just finished my short gaming session and I took it slow again today and mainly just explored Azado. I haven't moved onto the next major event yet and figured I'd wait for you before I proceed. No pressure on the time front.

Oh, I usually watch the Making of disc as a bonus / treat whenever I finish a playthrough anyway. O-M-G that you haven't watched the EBC Making of disc you're in for a treat!!!

...I'm pretty sure I've only watched the SSSC Making Of disc once or twice, so I really need to watch that one again... but yeah, I have NEVER seen the one for ESB. I'm pumped to watch it, although I'll probably have to find a copy on YouTube. I don't think I ever scanned the discs when I digitized my archive.

I've just been running around buying things for the farmhouse that I need like: kitchen spray to get all the grease/oil splatter near the stoves, random cleaning supplies like just dustrags and things to wipe things off with, I also bought some groceries because I'm trying to be a chef in the kitchen / make "healthy" foods since I'm in the middle of a weightloss journey.

You're killing it, dude! Keep it up! I find when I have the little things in my life taken care, my mental state is just so much more at peace. When the house is a wreck and I'm eating horrible and not getting much exercise, I look and feel horrible. I'm down about 30 pounds from this time last year and have been doing cardio runs and some weights about every other day, and every aspect of my self is improved: my mental state is more balanced, my immune system is much better, and overall I feel much healthier. Keep it up, man!

I try not to get too emotionally attached to my animals after the trauma of losing my first dog but I can't help it and I'm always looking for new treats, doggy toys, blankets & beds that'll make them feel more comfortable in the place. I bought some mouthwash too.

I'm the same way, man. I hate owning animals because I get attached. I feel like if I have the responsibility of owning a pet (usually not my choice because of my wife and kids), I have to do the responsible thing and give them a quality life experience.

I even feel that way about my chickens! I wouldn't want to eat them (although when I bought them that was certainly the intent, once they stopped laying), and I oddly love them. I call them 'my girls' and when I go outside they all run to me. If you've ever seen a chicken run, it's a hilarious sight. We don't cuddle, but they follow me around the yard and I hand feed them treats and snacks and stuff. A few of them I will pick up and pet. One of them had cancer and died last summer and I even got choked up and cried a little.

Alright brother, I'm out. I'll catch you tomorrow!

VidKid369

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2023, 07:41:25 am »
Hello Boo, I was hoping we'd be able to take it slow lol. I'm right where you are I've talked to everyone in Azado and I just haven't moved the story along. I think we should both each just finished this small little part in Azado as I'm pretty sure it's the last town you visit before Disc 1 ends. We should just both move forward... I still have to do a little grinding in the Sluice Forest for equips but I should just be able to get it done tonight and tomorrow I'll hurry the story along. C:

-Yep, I just got two brand new maids to help do housework / housestaff so they're helping me a bunch with taking the load off my shoulders when it comes to cleaning the house. They cleaned the kitchen area really well today and I asked if they could do my bedroom tmmr. lol. I'm very meticulously clean they pretty much do the brunt of the cleaning and I come in after with a toothbrush and clean the corners and stuff. I was woken up early by my dog this morning so I've been up for hours and but I'm kinda tired right now. As we speak I still have to do a bit of organizing and such. I might even clean my bathroom at around midnight tonight. LOL

- Yeah. Exercise. I try to just do something everyday but everyday I have to go for an hour walk to clear my head of garbage and nonsense thoughts, I also do a bit of stretching (for flexibility and mobility) and yoga because long, sedentary hours in front of the console / T.V. / computer really makes me feel stiff to the bone. I don't kill myself w/ exercise but if I'm sitting for like 1-2hrs. I try to get up and out of the house and do something... lol. The word sedentary kills me these days. :D

Oh, I just love my dogs regardless. I try to spoil them cause they're the king and queen of the house...

Well, my farm is actually more of a chicken farm than anything we raise a lot of chickens from egg to adult / and we make use of both the females and the males. In the Philippines, cockfighting is a national sport much like boxing so the males don't get wasted (some ppl think they're useless?) a lot of dudes go to arenas and watch them fight. I think it's illegal in the U.S. though? I was gon take pictures today but forgot. I'll post it tmmr.

I'm used to seeing the chickens get slaughtered so no worries man. I get a little choked up too when it comes to any animal.

Ok, so I'm gonna grind in the forest to get Azado equips tonight. Tomorrow, I'll just cont. the story. Nice meeting up with you again brother! C:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2023, 01:02:42 am »
Your wish is granted and I'm going slow tonight, hahaha...

I thought I'd have a long free night to play a lot of games, but tonight ended up being a slumber party for my daughter and her friends, so I'm on fun dad duty. I'll have to move forward in the story tomorrow -- tonight I just went back to Sluice Forest and grinded a little. Like you said, the Silver is excellent in these battles. Even though I'm good on gear, I'll have more Silver for the next town and set up upgrades.

Funny that the town has a weapon named specifically for Jean! Is there a dark conspiracy afoot...?

Well, my farm is actually more of a chicken farm than anything we raise a lot of chickens from egg to adult / and we make use of both the females and the males.

I grew up thinking chickens were really stupid. Even though they're not very smart, I've definitely been surprised by their intelligence and unique personalities. Even in the same species, I've seen unique personalities. We have three types: brahma, ameraucana, and wyendotte. We're talking about getting cinnamin queens in the spring. Although with the egg prices here in the states right now (prices have doubled recently - a dozen eggs is pushing $7 USD at the moment), a lot of people are trying to buy chicks. Little do they know it will take 6 months or more to start getting eggs. Hahaha!

In the Philippines, cockfighting is a national sport much like boxing so the males don't get wasted (some ppl think they're useless?) a lot of dudes go to arenas and watch them fight. I think it's illegal in the U.S. though?

I had neighbors that would raise roosters just for cockfighting. They lived in little lean-to structures and had little leashes attached to their feet so they couldn't get to each other. It definitely happens here (especially in rural areas), but like you said, it's illegal.

Anyway, I'm going back into dad mode. I'll pick the game up tomorrow afternoon and it's time to finally wrap up disc 1!

VidKid369

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2023, 06:39:19 am »
Hey, Boo. I really like it when we take it slow. lol I didn't realize doing all the chores in the household takes me so much time and effort. I like it when we spend a few days grinding in one spot. lol So anyways, I was thinking about moving the story along for myself tonight though since I just have time tonight. I won't trudge too far ahead I'll probably just finish the event in Azado and stop.

Yeah as for me it's just your typical day just sweeping up the farmhouse and I bought these little baskets to put all of my nick-knacks in and just junk and stuff that's scattered everywhere so I'm definitely doing a little organizing too on-the-side. I bought Ziplock freezer / storage baggies to put my chargers in and video game wires and such that I've just accumulated over time so I'm definitely going-overboard when it comes to the organization hehe. (Maybe not?) I'm just in this super cleanly mode, as-of-late.

Shoot. I forgot to take pictures of the chickens on the chicken farm while there was light out today. I'll definitely do it tomorrow so you can see. Yeah I don't spend too much time with the chickens on my own we hire people to do all that stuff for us, - the family, so but I go down there and check them out sometimes. At first, I couldn't really sleep since the roosters crow in the morning so they'd wake me up at around 5 o'clock in the wee morning but it's so LOUD here all the time w/ the chickens and I don't even notice them anymore lol. I only notice when I'm taking videos and all I hear are the chickens in the background clucking and stuff! :haha:

No I definitely think they're resourceful animals. One of my dreams is to turn this farmland into a self-sufficicent resource and beginning with starting chickens was definitely the way to go. You can start off small and they reproduce so fast and lay so many eggs. We actually have incubators so we incubate our own eggs, and after awhile (a couple of weeks?) they hatch and turn into baby chicks. We separate the hens (so they can lay) from the males, and the guys on the farm use the male ones for cockfighting so they gamble sometimes (mostly for fun/nothing too serious) and can make some money for themselfs. Obviously we eat the chickens too sometimes if we're feeling like it. The wild chickens do have a different taste from the store-bought, and I've noticed the fresh eggs do have a slightly rich or like gamier taste to them for-sure.

A lot of old American guys (mostly Southerners?) come here just cause they like cockfighting so much. They're pretty good at it too.

Ok, anyways,--so the plan is for me to just finish the events in Azado tonight cause I'm free and I'll just stop right there so as not to go too far ahead of ya. I'll see you around, Holmes.
--
Oh, also I noticed something.

Notes: I really like the storyline events in Azado a lot. Like the general creep factor they have going on in the 'hood. I kinda relate to this in a way. Like a lot of the townsfolk say they feel like they're being watched, and it's hard to do anything anymore. I so, so, so felt that way back in America before I left. I lived in Daly City a little sub-urb just outside of San Francisco and I noticed after I turned 18 and became an adult, started going to college and getting a job I started to feel creeped out more often than not and that I was being watched more close by the neighbors and stuff!!? Probably because they knew I wasn't a child anymore and they could get me. I just felt like there were narcs and snitches in the neighborhood always spying on me, I couldn't take it anymore. I wonder if the writers of LUNAR kinda took real life American culture into account when creating scenarios for each town and such to differentiate them from one another? (Plus they're from California.) I mean I think we all know about nasty neighbors, snitches-in the neighborhood and nosey behavior... Anyway. I love Azado cause it makes me feel like I'm not crazy for feeling that way once upon a time.

Have a good one Boo!!! :D

VidKid369

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2023, 10:21:06 am »
Hey, Boo!!

Quick update: So I just beat the boss at Azado and I stopped for right now. I think it's pretty cool that Leo joins you for this portion of the game like I don't hate him as much anymore lol. Like there IS logic and reason in him, and he's not just blind to the truth all the time. So I like that- that he's willing to change. I think it's pretty badass he fights with you and he hits even harder than Hiro. I'm at lv 32 right now btw. I was gonna say maybe take a few Star Lights with you cause you might need them I hate that they're 2,000 Silver a pop though. :p The boss was more of a pushover than I remembered all the random encounters to get to him were more annoying.

I think it's an inside-joke that whenever the girls aren't in the party you have to fight Nipple Yankers. It happened in SSSC too when it was just the guys in the Black Dragon Fortress.

Ok,-so I'm stopping for right now but for sure I'm gonna talk to all the townspeople again tomorrow morning. Ciao!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 09:59:56 pm by VidKid369 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Yesterday at 02:31:58 am »
One of my dreams is to turn this farmland into a self-sufficicent resource and beginning with starting chickens was definitely the way to go.

I have similar dreams. I'd even like to get off the public water/electrical grid one day, but I think that's a long shot. The US makes it incredibly difficult to do so, especially with water laws. As for the chickens, we started with 10 and now only have 6. We've lost 4 over the past few years to animals and one to cancer, and we're looking to buy some more in the spring -- assuming they're affordable and available!

Obviously we eat the chickens too sometimes if we're feeling like it. The wild chickens do have a different taste from the store-bought, and I've noticed the fresh eggs do have a slightly rich or like gamier taste to them for-sure.

Ours are multi-purpose chickens (eggs and meat) but we've decided not to eat ours -- at least not any time soon. My kids love them too much. But we have bought from local farmers already processed (but fresh) chickens and they definitely have a slightly more robust flavor. The eggs are also much brighter than store bought / industrial laying chicken eggs.

Now onto the game!

Azado

Yeah, this is sort of a frustrating town. Not only the religious hypocrisy of the Chosen, but the extreme religious indoctrination and subjugation is just outright toxic. I'm always sort of sensitive to these kind of stories and situations, as my upbringing was very sheltered and not far off from this. But we've already talked about that, haha...

I laugh that the one blonde lad (Porom, former High Priest Balse's son) stands in front of her door to guard against thieves (and apparently jRPG protagonists). I've thought about one day doing a hardcore playthrough of an RPG and not opening treasures that clearly belong to others, haha... A nice little RP addition. The only game I've thus far been able to do that with has been Skyrim, but that game is made for such RP aspects.

A few observations:
  • I also noticed that one guy refers to the Dragonmaster as the DragonMaster -- have I been articulating this wrong all this time?!?!
  • This game is quintessential 1990's in that every calls each other "retard." Back then it was common but now it's definitely a faux-pax here, and people would be offended. Like we've said, Working Designs always did an excellent job of translating the zeitgeist and language of the time. Hard to believe this game came out a quarter of a century ago, but that's definitely one of the things helping the game show its age.
  • The first time I played this game I remember I was about to board the ship when I realized it looked identical to the Dragonship Destiny, so I saw that coming and was screaming internally - nooooo!
  • After the confrontation aboard the ship, I noticed the pillars around time have changed -- the flames now have evil faces in them! This is when the fire first starts and during the cutscene before the town is engulfed by the evil flames.

Moving on with the story...

• I'm glad we're starting to dig into the dragon mythology a little here, starting with the red dragon fire and Mauri.
  • When Leo joined the party I looked at his inventory... And he's equipped with Dyne's Sword!
  • Nice lore consistency that Ronfar could use healing magic on Balse, at least enough to stabilize him.
  • Some of the battle dialogue in this game is hilarious -- Leo says, "Taste my refreshment!" with one of his attacks. It's so stupid and I love it. I LOVE THIS GAME!.

Dragonship Destiny
Man, the Althena's Chosen are asshats. Even thought Leo is starting to question his orders, they mostly seem pretty steadfast and refuse to budge. One even talks of slitting Lucia's throat!

Anyway, after talking to Lucia on the deck, I'm surprised Ruby was so light on Hiro. Normally she'd be grilling him after having seen Lucia fleeing in tears!

That all being out of the way... we now have THE END OF DISC 1!!! We did it!

Pentagulia
I've arrived in Pentagulia, met with (Dragonmaster!) Ghaleon, and said goodbye to all my friends... Ronfar is off to salvage his relationship with Mauri, Lemina is off to "save" her mother from Borgan, and Jean is off to find Lunn... I've saved my game.

This is where I stop for the evening. Woohoo!

VidKid369

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 10:10:51 am »
Whoo!! We made it to the end of disc 1. Tbh, disc 2 is where the real fun begins!! :D

So I don't have much commentary tonight. It's pretty cold here weirdly. Either that, or the house is just really really clean. I dunno I'm just happy to get out of the US. lol To put it bluntly. :p To be honest, every day I think about how blessed I am to be here. (Philippines) I went through some personal stuff right-before I left the US, and I'm just happy a) that I left, and b) that I'm here in my home-country. Tbh Boo, I have this quasi-fantasy of seeing life as an RPG. hahaha Like for example, growing up as a commoner-or middle income, I think that's so RPG and default, in-general, standard, the norm etc. what have you. You have access to all you need and no complaints. Plus growing up in an Asian household, I think that's pretty JRPG not-to-burst-anyone's-bubble. A lot of gamers might wonder why I re-play so many of my favorite RPGs and I just think I get so much more out of it, as an Asian kid, that no one else can even relate to. I relate to a lot of the things I see like chopsticks or tea cups & kettles in the various houses, furniture being very low to the floor like we talked about earlier like these little nuances you wouldn't understand if you weren't Japanese/or some other Asian growing up in the US.

Flags, meeting important people in your life, and making big decisions sometimes that'll impact the rest of your life (or game) forever. I think I'm a pretty strategic guy (I love Survivor, the T.V. show) and I just feel good about the decision I made to leave America and come back home.

Sometimes I have this fantasy-feeling that the big "Empire" the games we play always have is none-other-than America. The Solaris city floating in the heavens in the sky that everyone in the world wants to go to one day is none other than America. The soldiers, guards, grunt work horses scattered all around the world in every town who do they work for? America. Anyway just some late-night musings from a tired John.

I think the freedom America always talks about is overrated. Having lived there my whole life. It's not all it's cracked up to be. The food's nasty. I mean, come on McDonald's? I'm sure it was cultural in its heydey but it's a joke now.

Anyway. Yeah I love the chickens on the farm and the animals. I'm in love with my two dogs right now, Karla and Jepp, and I just "take care" of them everyday. Not a HUGE responsibility but I like it. I live by myself and it's fun getting to know the people / "housestaff" that work for me. I'm just glad to be around IRL people (not 'SO,' or family) everyday as a sense of normalcy in our now tech-savvy world. I love that we're posting on a messageboard right now, doing it oldschool style, I've always loved MBs.

The game is pretty fun. I think you're enjoying it more than I am, Boo!! :p I have fun taking it reeeally slow and reading each line carefully, and just analyzing. I like to take everything I learn from RPGs and apply it to my life in someway.

In case anyone was interested most of the stuff I think about when playing are like a higher philosophy type stuff. If anything, the one thing I think most people will have a problem about EBC is the religiousness of it. I thought Americans were kinda cultish about religion but Filipinos definitely has America beat in terms of spiritual strength, even above the numbers. I've never known this about my own country but your average Filipino probably has 10x more spiritual power than any active Christian from the US. There's spirit in the land here and I never felt that presence in the US amidst the barren buildings and cement streets. America felt very empty to me in terms of spirituality. I never felt anything there. Just emptiness. Nowhere.

These're most of my musings when I'm playing the game. I think Working Designs tries to "Americanize" the game as much as they can which I like a LOT. I LIKE, LOVE America. Maybe I'm a bit cynical? I think WD put a lot of effort into this game so it's only fair I come up with a lot of thoughts to post about it. Sometimes when people beat one RPG, and move onto the next without coming up with any content of their own to share it's like do you have a brain of your own in there?

Sorry this's one of my lazy posts as I'm feeling super cold tonight. I'm looking forward to playing more tomorrow. Sometimes I think each RPG game is just commentary of society in that year in the US. :shrug: Like how you mentioned we would all say retarded in High School. When I found out we can't say it anymore I was like, "That's so retarded." I have so many thoughts about how we used to play this game in HS... woo woo woo. America's very into "High School culture" I've come to find out from movies in the 90s, to T.V. shows, to pop love songs. I think that's something ALL of us can relate to since we all went there... hopefully graduated? I love social-ness and reading a bunch of lines from games taught me like well how to speak English. It really helped me a lot socially just READING A WHOLE BUNCH CRAP CRAMMING. I love to do reading. RPGs also gave me a love for writing. I. just. like. text. Then computers... then Internet.

I think there's so much you can take from RPGs with a looot of text. A lot of stuff to think about. I hope you're enjoying the game Boo! We're 1/3 in. :D I can't wait to do the same thing with Chrono Trigger (or whatever game) with you next! Hope you're having a BALL!

(One of my 'Lazy Posts.')

Summary: "After leaving the US and now being on the outside looking in, I've come to find out America has a huge impact on the world with its media: shows, music, video games."
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:35:21 am by VidKid369 »