Author Topic: Thoughts on new twist to any future Chrono-project  (Read 6469 times)

ThatGuy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on new twist to any future Chrono-project
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 02:15:45 am »
You know one thing I personally wouldn't do? Make the main character immortal. Limitations are always more interesting than abilities, and the more vulnerable a character, the more we side with him/her. It's more conflict if they're mortal, it's more adversity to overcome, it just makes for a better story.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 02:14:32 pm »
You know one thing I personally wouldn't do? Make the main character immortal. Limitations are always more interesting than abilities, and the more vulnerable a character, the more we side with him/her. It's more conflict if they're mortal, it's more adversity to overcome, it just makes for a better story.

Immortality would be a deal breaker for sure. If anything, the character may be reaching to attain immortality..... but having it always JUST out of reach.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 05:14:03 pm »

Immortality would be a deal breaker for sure. If anything, the character may be reaching to attain immortality..... but having it always JUST out of reach.

Or finding out that after all of that hard work a determination that immortality is unobtainable?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2018, 05:22:17 pm »
Immortality, huh...

*Flashbacks of Crusader Kings*

Probably not on the main protagonist, but in a setting with, say, time travel, having an immortal character around has potential, I'd say.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2018, 07:59:24 pm »
One could be really nasty by pulling the two concepts in together. Frex: Character A is tricked into believing that they have to offer up a human sacrifice in order to acheive immortality, and Character B walks into it willingly because they know that unless Character A does this and finds out that they've been lied to, they won't become the person who [does important thing in the future that saves Character B's life/family/country].

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 10:18:35 am »
One could be really nasty by pulling the two concepts in together. Frex: Character A is tricked into believing that they have to offer up a human sacrifice in order to acheive immortality, and Character B walks into it willingly because they know that unless Character A does this and finds out that they've been lied to, they won't become the person who [does important thing in the future that saves Character B's life/family/country].

That's just mean.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 11:04:05 pm »
That is mean, and I love it. Pull all the heartstrings! :D

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 06:10:13 pm »
I never did get far into Final Fantasy Dimensions II (which was sort of based off of some unused Chrono Trigger sequel concepts), but the intro to the game clearly shows that the various characters are in timeline misalignment.

If my memory serves correctly, one character already knows the hero because they met in her timeline vantage point, but from his perspective they have never met before.

I had never even thought how it tied into my previous hero/villain concept, which you all enhanced with it being a hero/love interest (a la Dr. Who).

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2018, 01:14:33 am »
You ever watch a show called "quantum leap"? If not, go do it. Its a similar premise, might be what your looking for. a man can traverse time by 'leaping' his conciousness, from a sealed room, into the past into people's bodies. he can see them when he looks in a mirror. he cant leap to another person until he does something to alter time, like stop a murder, or prevent a disaster or something.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2018, 01:46:06 am »
You ever watch a show called "quantum leap"? If not, go do it. Its a similar premise, might be what your looking for. a man can traverse time by 'leaping' his conciousness, from a sealed room, into the past into people's bodies. he can see them when he looks in a mirror. he cant leap to another person until he does something to alter time, like stop a murder, or prevent a disaster or something.

Wonderful show. Except for the final episode. Eff that.

Dalton

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 05:07:41 am »
I dunno where is more fit. This theme or Breaak theme. Anyway. There is a game. Great JRPG Radiant Historia. THIS must be Chrono Break. Why? Hero travels from dimensions and times.

CH86

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 02:16:09 pm »
What about a Skywalker-esque plot in which the hero is avenging his parents killed by the villain only to find out later that the villain was his real parent all along, and that hero's family was actually his step-family. In this case the hero was either moved as a baby to prevent the villain for locating them, or that the villain (before he/she fully turned to evil) had sent the hero away to keep in away from participating in the conflict.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 09:43:27 am »
What about a Skywalker-esque plot in which the hero is avenging his parents killed by the villain only to find out later that the villain was his real parent all along, and that hero's family was actually his step-family. In this case the hero was either moved as a baby to prevent the villain for locating them, or that the villain (before he/she fully turned to evil) had sent the hero away to keep in away from participating in the conflict.

I do usually enjoy this type of plot. I think this would definitely fit more into a Cross story rather than a Trigger story.