Author Topic: How do we get CT characters in Smash?  (Read 2501 times)

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
  • "We are...the dreamers of Dreams."
    • View Profile
How do we get CT characters in Smash?
« on: June 13, 2018, 10:41:27 am »
I mean seriously. What's the way to do it? Obviously I could complain about it every time they put a new one out, but is there an intelligent, organized way to go about it?

Edit: Couldn't hurt to try

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-chrono-trigger-cast-in-smash-brothers
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:00:59 am by ShoeMagus »

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
Re: How do we get CT characters in Smash?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:29:30 pm »
First Squenix has to do something relevant with the franchise, as in no more half-baked ports but a real remake or sequel. Then get it on Switch or 3DS.

Kingdom Hearts is another good chance. I mean, Neku is there, seriously wtf (except KH3 is the last one I think? I'm not into the series so I'm not sure). Then also get it on Switch.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 03:08:25 pm »
As far as something like Smash goes, I don't really see it. Any 3rd party is going to have limited implementation, and as far as SE's goes, having chosen FFVII twice already, it's going to stay there. I don't know just how the adquisition of liscences of use go for the 3rd party stuff, but I would guess they can't just include even 1 or 2 elements of a second property since you have to pay full cost of use or something. So it's best to just stick with one property and use lots of stuff from that. Who knows.

Kingdom Hearts is another good chance. I mean, Neku is there, seriously wtf (except KH3 is the last one I think? I'm not into the series so I'm not sure). Then also get it on Switch.

It could be, but unfortunately chances are quite slim. As Nomura himself stated in this E3, as KH got more and more original elements, it made the use of their pre-existing properties less of a need to have. And it shows.

The first game had ample Final Fantasy prescence, but if you notice, it's also the game that had the least original elements. It was just the Destiny Islands trio and Ansem SoD for the most part. In comparison, you can see a big relevance drop in KHII. The Destiny Island FF crew only get a single-scene cameo at best, and mere mentions at worst. Twilight Town introduces more FF characters, but their roles are quite minor, as it's the OC characters that get more focused on. Only the HollowBastion/RadiantGarden FF characters retain some relevance, but it's lesser in comparison to the first game.

Dream Drop Distance having the TWEWT crew is likely since the setting finally had less of an OC prescence than previos games. They're there, alright, but not in the main portions of the games, hence SE fially adding something of their own again. As it is, chances don't look good for KHIII having much pre-existing SE properties, if at all. Some people even doubt the Radiant Garden FF crew will appear even if the world does, since just like how they weren't included in Birth by Sleep, the original elements are too much it could make things too convulated (Too convulated? In KH?  :lol:).

Not all hope is lost, though, since the franchise as a whole doesn't seem to be above cameo and/or standalone appearances and the like. And by the way, KHIII won't be the last KH game. It's just the last of the whole "Xehanort Saga", as it's called. As it is, I wouldn't discount some Chrono prescence in a future KH game, or even in KHIII itself. But chances overall are slim.

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:51:30 pm »
First Squenix has to do something relevant with the franchise, as in no more half-baked ports but a real remake or sequel. Then get it on Switch or 3DS.

I harbor this idea that Smash could be a testing ground for gauging interest. If Crono was a DLC character, they could have a direct look at sales and see how interested the audience is, outside of their constant porting. But the trick is getting Nintendo to think Crono is viable enough to look into.

That's what I think anyway. If the huddled masses of CT fans can make whole fan sequels, why not try making enough noise for this? I just dont know how its doable. Like how did fans clamor for Riddley? Petitions? Meme magic?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 08:54:53 pm »
So back in the days of Smash Bros on, I believe it was the Wii, there was an extremely active Smash modding community. They reskinned character models and eventually got to the point where they could manipulate the meshes to a very small degree; eventually the group I followed got shut down with a C&D (hmmm... that sounds very familiar).

Regardless, they were able to make a decent Crono model using one of the Fire Emblem guys as a base (maybe Ike?). It wasn't perfect but it was a start.

This would have been ~2008.

I tried to do a Google search for it but my Googlefu skill have failed me.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:28:30 pm »
So back in the days of Smash Bros on, I believe it was the Wii, there was an extremely active Smash modding community. They reskinned character models and eventually got to the point where they could manipulate the meshes to a very small degree; eventually the group I followed got shut down with a C&D (hmmm... that sounds very familiar).

Regardless, they were able to make a decent Crono model using one of the Fire Emblem guys as a base (maybe Ike?). It wasn't perfect but it was a start.

This likely is the one you're thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh58QXCTV4I

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:48:10 pm »
Yeah Brawl modding is still active to this day, last I checked there was Frog and Magus too, and even a Magus' Castle stage. I haven't looked into it for a few years tho.

Edit: my memories are a bit corrupted (no Magus stage), but this is what I was talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSHSW4gknzk
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:50:32 pm by DarioEMeloD »

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 03:15:07 pm »

I mean that's neat. But genuine recognition from Square and Nintendo would be nice.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 12:16:22 am »
I mean that's neat. But genuine recognition from Square and Nintendo would be nice.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, I do think it's a very long shot and modding is all that we have.

:(

ShoeMagus

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile