Author Topic: Radiant Historia  (Read 4013 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Radiant Historia
« on: April 17, 2018, 12:40:47 am »
So I played Radiant Historia for the DS back in 2011, and am almost finished playing the re-release/expanded edition for the 3DS. I don't know if anyone else here has played it, but I highly recommend it.

Radiant Historia is pretty much what I envisioned a third Chrono game to be like. I figured that Chrono 3 would have either involved:

1.) Anti-time, as mentioned during the Counter-time Experiments at Chronopolis, which somehow backfired and threw Chronopolis back into ice age. Although there's no official explanation for how counter-time works, my personal interpretation is that it allowed one to literally travel to previously erased timelines, essentially sidestepping the Darkness Beyond Time entirely. This means we would have seen characters crossing back and forth across the various timelines of the Chronoverse, including Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, along with the Ideal Timeline created at the end of Chrono Cross.

2.) Multiverse. Multiple timelines and "what if scenarios" darting to and fro amongst a myriad of potential timelines, constantly causing changes to the timeline to create an optimal outcome. This is ultimately what Radiant Historia explores.

For those unfamiliar with Radiant Historia, you play as a hero who is gifted a magic tome that allows him to traverse back and forth across two timelines, where events in one timeline can subtly affect the other. The two timelines begin relatively similar, but gradually go into completely different directions. The game also has a backdrop of war, so even the enemies/allies changes in each timeline due to the rippling change of history.

One of the things I love about this game is the constantly need to jump from timeline to timeline to solve puzzles and blockers. Sometimes that means traveling back in time in one timeline to make a new change farther down the timeline.

For example, one NPC you meets reveals he was injured in a battle. You then have to retrace this NPCs steps at various points in history and find him at a certain point in time, warning him of his upcoming injury. Then, when you return to the original point on the timeline, he's heeded your warning and avoiding the catastrophic injury and rewards the party with an item.

All-in-all, this is a great game and one of the best jRPGs I've played in the past decade. I highly recommend it, especially if you love the whole time travel motif.

Has anyone else played it?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Radiant Historia
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:55:49 am »
I haven't, but it sounds neat. I'd have to check it out.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 01:09:27 am »
Oh, I heard about that game. I think I was interested in trying it out, but never got the chance to get the game.

Hmm... perhaps it's still not too late... specially now with its 3DS edition...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 02:25:22 am »
The 3DS is also the best edition!

It has some new content, including opening up the game with "Possible Histories," which are short mini-quests taking place in alternate realities not tied to either of the two timelines.

Doing these also leads to a short, third timeline and a new ending to the game.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 04:18:54 am »
At the moment I don't have a 3DS, so I'll probably get the 1DS version. I used to joke about having a 2DS, but Nintendo went and made a 2DS, so I have to say I have a DSi now.

I will never forgive Nintendo for that.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 12:40:32 pm »
I'm going to have to check this out! I have a 3DS XL (because I'm getting older and it's easier on the eyes ha ha) and it's been collecting dust as of late. Thanks for the recommendation!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 02:50:14 pm »
I really can't recommend it enough.

-The combat is great (sort of like Bravely Default in that you can stack attacks by rearranging enemy and ally combat order)
-Enemies are visible on the screen and you can avoid battle if you prefer; you can also sneak up on them and strike them for a bonus initiative in battle
-The story is awesome -- it's very focused on war and moves extremely fast; I never once got bored (my only complaint is that it can be cutscene heavy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing)
-The time travel elements previously discussed would be perfect for a Chrono game; you bounce and back between two timelines make subtle changes to influence events to a positive conclusion
-Multiple endings for poor time travel choices (they're normally bad endings, but each is completely unique and explains the how/why the decision you made doomed the world)
-The soundtrack is by Yoko Shimomura, one of the best RPG composers out there (she's done Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Legend of Mana, Kingdom Hearts, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc)
-The graphics are excellent and fitting; 2D sprites on a 3D world -- it felt like a more advanced Xenogears system, although the camera doesn't rotate
-Oh, and the 3DS version does have some anime cutscenes

Here's the trailer to pump you all up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSng9jvTo4o

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 06:18:18 pm »
Oooooooooo I need this in my life NOW!!!!  :o

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 07:53:09 pm »
I LOVE Radiant Historia! I'm currently (slowly) playing through the 3DS remake. The new voice acting so far is my favorite bit.

I was actually considering part of my Dream Splash submission to have a shout out to this game. :wink:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 10:17:13 pm »
I was actually considering part of my Dream Splash submission to have a shout out to this game.

DOOOOO IT!

I know I keep saying it, but it's the closest we have to a Chrono 3 at the moment. I haven't played Lost Sphear or I am Setsuna, which are supposedly sort of inspired by Chrono Trigger, but it takes the time travel of Trigger and the dimension hoping of Cross and takes it up a notch.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 04:19:13 pm »
Speaking of a third Chrono-like game, how about Lost Sphere? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4owDFdSG7A

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 10:58:02 am »
It's on my list, but I am poor. Mouths to feed. In fact, I never even played I am Setsuna.

I don't buy games often (although I am subscribed to the Humble Bundle), and the last ones I bought were Radiant Historia and Final Fantasy XV... which I have yet to play.

Did you play Lost Sphear? Was it any good!?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 12:16:31 pm »
Did you play Lost Sphear? Was it any good!?
Haha nah, I just bumped into the video by chance, because I listen to Youtube while working (although now I've ironically run out of work, except for Tarot, so I need to search for paid projects again). Like you, I haven't even played I Am Setsuna yet, though I'd really like to.

The last game I played was, quite recently, AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), and that too in my downtime to take a break due to stress. Had to finish it in less than 3 days otherwise I would no longer have time to play it again. xD But I'm glad I did, because it was amazing!

Yeah, you can probably tell I've become a Metroid fan lately. Samus Aran, being a FreelanceBounty Hunter (and me being a Freelance Artist), has practically become my Deity right now.

BTW, I understand you being poor and having mouths to feed. I'm somewhat in that same situation, though more like I have parents and brother to support rather than kids and wife. XD
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:18:31 pm by tushantin »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 12:39:44 pm »
I love Metroid, too! AM2R was excellent -- I wish all fan games were up that quality!

I haven't played Samus Returns, though... Which is also a remake of Metroid 2.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 06:33:37 am »
Yo, Boo! Look what I found. A good series that isn't abandoned. XD

https://youtu.be/TaN2G-AEd9Q