Author Topic: Goodbye...  (Read 18830 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Goodbye...
« on: April 12, 2018, 11:56:11 pm »
So guys, I gotta get something off my chest... I've been thinking and trying to figure out the best way to do this. I had hoped that I had created an original Welcome thread when I first joined, as it seemed like the best avenue for this somber message, but alas. I never did any kind of formal welcome.

So yeah, I'm not sure how to say this. I've been searching my emotions a lot, and this I have to say sayonara.

I've really enjoyed coming back here and getting reacquainted with old friends, while also making some new ones along the way. The recent increase in activity here has really been great, and I hope that each and every one of you is able to help make Dream Splash VI a fun, memorable, and exciting event.

With all that being said, I have to officially announce that I'll be leaving...

...until Sunday night...

:x :evil: :twisted:

...for a little weekend vacation, so I won't be posting for a few days. I'm going to the Nashville Cherry Blossom Festival with my kiddos and wife. Gonna shove so much Japanese culture down their throats they'll be in wa mode in no time.

Sorry for the scare (assuming anyone actually bought it in the beginning).

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:57:58 pm »
That sounds interesting. Have fun!

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 03:29:12 am »
I was going to tell you it's a little late for April Fools. :P

Enjoy the Sakura viewing! Catch some Clow Cards! Wait, wrong Sakura.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 01:01:33 pm »
I am sooooo gullible. Ha ha! You had me for a few moments there! LOL (This is why people LOVE playing jokes on me. LOL!)

Seriously though, have fun! That sounds like a blast, is this an annual thing? If it is maybe I'll force hubby into submission and we'll go next year. *cackles evilly* It sounds like so much fun! Tell us about it when you get back!

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:11:14 pm »
...first of all: you bastard.

Second of all: Have fun. :p

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:39:09 pm »

*points up*

What he said!  :lol:

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 05:27:41 pm »
Long post in the Goodbye section? How could you  :P

Have fun!!

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 12:16:14 am »
I really hope your kids are the same sort of pranksters as you are. That way, I think I can speak for most of us here, we can have our indirect revenge.  :lol:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 05:16:31 am »

I completely forgot about ˇTú Bastardo! Another Compendium meme, risen from the dead!

Also, Boo: You fooled me! I thought you were going to say work and family was just too much of a time commitment to keep going here at the higher activity level. Glad I got got! =P

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 06:58:43 pm »
Gwah ha ha!

Back! It was fun! First off, if you've never been to Nashville, it's an awesome city. I travel there for work and it's super cool... and I'm not even a country music guy.

The cherry blossoms were already gone; they bloomed early this year due to the insane weather we've been having (same thing happened in Japan). Luckily, I was up here the third week of March and caught lots of great pics while the trees were in (almost) full bloom.

As for the Japanese Festival itself, it was great despite the fact it poured the whole time. My wife and kids got over it quicker than I did, but I'm pretty sure that was just the cold rain driving them to warmth.

Now that I've been to Japan and experienced it first hand, it definitely caught me off guard by how "westernized" the interpretation of Japan really is (at least on a commercial level), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Lots of good food (ate as much thai food as I did Japanese, since I love me a good banh mi sammach). Lots of otaku roaming about, a lot of cosplay (the Kingdom Hearts I-era Cloud Strife took the cake IMO), a lot of stalls/vendors, and even the Japanese embassy had an appearance. There were Taiko drums, martial arts, Japanese street performers, etc.

Some of you know that I'm a mid-management corporate shill longing for creative outlets with the hope that, eventually, one of them can drive me to some sort of other financial offering/career/etc. I definitely got one or two ideas while I was there...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 01:11:33 am »
That sounds like it was a wonderful trip!

Write down your inspirations! Share them if you like.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 01:40:26 am »
I can share here...

So since returning from Japan last year I've been trying to figure out... how can I leverage the passion I feel towards Japanese culture into a business model? I'm not a weeaboo or otaku, I simply find the place and people fascinating. I have since I was a kid. A few years back I found a journal from when I was 8 and I said I wanted to live in Japan.

(The only thing I can think of is that, growing up, my grandfather fought in the Pacific Rim during WWII and was, as a result, a belligerent racist against the Japanese. I still have vivid memories of some of the horrible things he said. Then I discovered Nintendo and learned about Japan in a world culture series in 2nd grade. Perhaps the contrast against what I was learning and my grandfather's leanings made me dig deeper and recognize the right and wrong of reality?)

Regardless, it's not even the neon eternal nightglow of Tokyo and Osaka that appeals to me; it's the quiet mountain villages, the fading visage of ancient tea farmers, the wa of the society that is such a double-edged sword.

For years I wanted to go to Japan. In college I was planning on joining JET and doing a few years doing ESL. But I met my now-wife my senior year and my plans changed. About six years ago I said fuck it and stared saving, slowly but surely, for a trip to Japan. One of my old college buddies and I were hiking one day and I told him my intent to go backpacking in Japan, alone if necessary, and it turns out he was doing the exact same planning.

So we ended up going together and have been toying with business venture ideas since we've come back. Import/export, healthcare translating services, some kind of consulting, etc. Then it dawned on me... I fucking love shinto shrines. There's something about the harmony in nature and the fact that they're hidden everywhere. Sanctuaries. In the middle of isolated mountains or in the middle of a major city like Tokyo. When I was in Japan, I hit up every shinto shrine I came across and loved performing the shinto ceremonies, despite my lack of belief in shinto deities.

There are three shinto shrines in the United States. Two in Hawaii and one in Washington. Obviously, I'm not a shinto priest, nor do I abide by shinto tradition. But how cool would it be to have a shinto shrine somewhere on the east coast - literally on the opposite side of the world from Japan? I mean, there's enough of a legitimate Japanese population in Nashville to justify a weekend festival, perhaps there's enough to justify a shinto shrine that can act as both a legit place of worship as well as a regional attraction?

This is totally a long shot and highly unrealistic. Nor do I have any sort of long-term plan on how I would even be involved outside of the initial kickoff. But my thoughts are a shinto shrine in Nashville or somewhere else on the east coast.

Obviously, it would be handled as a non-profit and would need to be maintained by a legit shinto priest. There are likely cultural grants that could help acquire the necessary land and building efforts, as well as fundraising efforts. The shrine, once up and running, could be self-maintaining just like those in Japan; the sell of trinkets, fortunes, and blessings could help with the shrine costs and the priest would likely live on the premises and help with operations.

This could provide a backbone of the Japanese regional community, act as a tourist destination, and provide a venue for ceremonies, festivals, and even weddings.

I'm starting a little research now to see if it would even be feasible. Not looking good, but it's worth looking into if it's something I'm passionate about. Like I said, I'm not even sure how I would fit in outside of kicking off the efforts and helping coordinate, but it's a thought I'm currently trying to wrap my mind around.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 02:37:49 pm »
I also love the Japanese culture. That being said I also love English culture and it's my dream to go to England someday, however Japan is my second dream destination. But I'm getting offtrack now... Ha ha!

I really want to learn Japanese art and more specifically, calligraphy. I actually have all the stuff to do it, but it's up in my storage in Wisconsin. Once I get it all down here, I'm planning on starting to teach myself. I have ideas for pieces I could eventually sell.

I am very impressed Boo, you have so many ideas and inspirations!! I also read your post about your writing, I think you could definitely be successful with it. Being creative is not for the meek, it's a struggle. Just keep at it, maybe go back and revisit old projects, you may see ways now you can polish them and make them better. Also, I'm going to have to google shinto shrines now because I'm not sure if I know what they are, however I find all religion interesting, so I'll be reading up! I do hope you are able to get a shrine built as that sounds VERY cool, not to mention educational.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 03:49:05 pm »
Also, I'm going to have to google shinto shrines now because I'm not sure if I know what they are, however I find all religion interesting, so I'll be reading up! I do hope you are able to get a shrine built as that sounds VERY cool, not to mention educational.

It's an extreme longshot, so I have zero expectations. But it seems like it has potential to be a really cool endeavor.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 04:24:15 pm »
I definitely think so! I would take a trip to Tennessee to go see it!