Author Topic: Chrono Compendium - Charter Updates  (Read 2150 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Chrono Compendium - Charter Updates
« on: April 12, 2018, 04:10:00 pm »
Hi all,

There's been a recent increase in activity lately (yay!) for the first time in years. I am hoping that only increases as we move into the Dream Splash competition, which I hope will drive a little traffic to the site.

With that being said, I'd like to propose some new changes to the Chrono Compendium charter, as seen here:

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Compendium:About.html

In regards to Organization structure, there are a few places I'd like to refine/expand/improve upon. Here's what I'm thinking

II. Organizational Structure
a. Heirarchy

Creative Regents
Creative regents include members who have won an annual fan work contest and keep a special title for one year. These titles include Artist of Termina (art) and Poet of El Nido (fiction).

Creative Emerita
Creative emerita are members who have won an annual fan work contest in the past, but whose titles have passed on to new winners.

I bring this up to call attention to the Creative Regents status. With Dream Splash VI coming up, it makes sense to prepare ourselves in removing existing Creative Regents titles from the appropriate users and accordingly promote them to Creative Emerita status.

Previous examples of these titles included Poet of El Nido for written fiction and Artist of Termina for art; I propose we expand this list based upon each category of the Dream Splash content. New, expanded additions will be tied to other categories, including hacks/fan games, 3D art (ie video), etc.

This list will be expanded soon, and we can discuss potential titles in this thread.

Continuing on:

Fan Project Leaders
Members leading or creating fan projects receive this designation, allowing them to post reasonable news directly to the Chrono Compendium news and updates page.

Gurus
Gurus are members of the Chrono Compendium recognized for outstanding individual contributions to analysis, the Chrono Compendium, and the popularity and enjoyment of the Chrono series on whole. Guru status is reserved for the highest possible achievements in individual fields; existing Gurus become emerita upon the promotion of new courts. For types of achievement, Life is reserved for creative, Time for analytical (both technical and plot) or unique, and Reason for community-wide leadership and activity.

Court I - Aitrus (Life), GrayLensman (Reason), warmgun (Time)
Court II - Aitrus (Life), GrayLensman (Reason), The_UnknownUser_ (Time)
Court III - Aitrus (Life), GrayLensman (Reason), Leebot (Time)
Court IV - Geiger (Life), GrayLensman (Reason), Leebot (Time)
Court V - KWhazit (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), Leebot (Time)
Court VI - KWhazit (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), FaustWolf (Time)
Court VII - Geiger (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), FaustWolf (Time)
Court VIII - Geiger (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), Luminaire85 (Time)
Court IX - Geiger (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), GlitterBerri (Time)
Court X - utunnels (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), GlitterBerri (Time)
Court XI - Agent 12 (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), GlitterBerri (Time)
Court XII - Radical Pan (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), GlitterBerri (Time)
Court XIII - Radical Pan (Life), Chrono'99 (Reason), Thought (Time)
Court XIV - Lorenz (Life), utunnels (Reason), Vehek (Time)
Court XV - Lorenz (Life), utunnels (Reason), Angerona (Time)
Court XVI - rushingwind (Life), Angerona (Reason), Clovis15 (Time)
Court XVII - StarbeamAlpha (Life), Angerona (Reason), Clovis15 (Time)

Last, for this post at least -- I want to call attention to the existing Court of Gurus. StarbeamAlpha, Angerona, and Clovis15 are currently registered as the existing Gurus (as far as I know).

I have tried to find documentation for (1) the frequency in which the Court gets "emeritized" (bahaha) -- annually? at random? and (2) the method in which new Guru's are chosen --  defining characteristics, etc.

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but it's literally been years since we've seen any change. Much of that is due to forum inactivity. But time brings change and change can help with activity, so it makes sense to discuss and plan to choose new gurus later this year. Doesn't have to be now, but I think it warrants a conversation and evaluation.

I guess I was hoping that someone with historical context could provide some feedback for what that process actually looked like. Moderator vote? Group vote?

b. Registration

c. Rank
Chrono Compendium members receive a rank based their post count which is displayed under their user name. The rank automatically displays a Chrono series image above one's avatar, and is meant only for fun enjoyment.

CC Reserve Corps (0)
Iokan (+1)
Earthbound (+15)
Porrean (+50)
Level ** (100)
Guardian (+100)
Enlightened One (+200)
Chronopolitan (+300)
Squaretable Knight (+400)
Acacia Deva (+500)
Black Wind Agent (+600)
The Great Magus (666)
Mystical Knight (+700)
Sun Stoner (777)
Time Traveler (+800)
Temporal Warrior (+900)
Dimension Crosser (+1000)
Magical Dreamer (+1250)
Errare Explorer (+1500)
Day of Lavos (1999)
Radical Dreamer (+2000)
Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
God of War (+3000)
Lavos (+4000)
Hero of Time (+5000)
Time Devourer (+6000)
Arbiter (+8000)
Ayla's BronzeFist (9999)
End of Timer (+10000)

I don't feel any need to make changes to the post count naming standards, but would we want to do so?

III. Fan and Community Works

A. Fan Projects

Aegis System - Many modding communities are crippled because participants each try to put out their own project with little help; in the end, none of these myriad projects is completed in a timely fashion. Also, expert experience acquired in development is spread out and kept disintegrated in this fashion. In order to facilitate fan project quality and completion, the Chrono Compendium always supports one fan project with special infrastructure. The project is selected by a consensus of the Director, Entities, and Gurus. The selected Aegis fan project receives its own encyclopedia page containing a summary of the project, screenshots to attract interest, banners for visual spice, and a list of openings for help. The list should include various methods of contacting the development team. This page is advertised in four areas: with a roughly 150x50 button on the News and Updates sidebar, a sticky topic in Kajar Laboratories containing the same information as the page, a long, full-width but very thin clickable banner at the bottom of the site, and a link in the navigation bar.

I think this is a great idea that we were never able to capitalize on. The Compendium modding community was cast down by the 2009 C&D, and we've seen no ROM hacking releases since that time (although we've had a few RPGMaker releases). I know of a few things going on behind the scenes, but no real releases as of this post.

Would it be appropriate to fully implement some version of the Aegis System to try and focus efforts into, perhaps, a full-scale hack? It could be a revival of an old project or perhaps something new. I think we would have to tread carefully -- much more carefully than Crimson Echoes -- but could potentially help reinvigorate the fanon community.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:18:20 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Compendium - Charter Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 05:51:26 pm »
For types of achievement, Life is reserved for creative, Time for analytical (both technical and plot) or unique, and Reason for community-wide leadership and activity.
It's probably way too late to change this now, but it seems to me that it would make more sense for the Guru of Reason to be the analytical one (since Belthasar built all the high-tech stuff) and for the Guru of Time to be the community one (since Gaspar watched over the central "hub" area).

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »
I think these are all fantastic ideas and I would love to see them come to fruition! I do also agree that the titles for posts don't need to be changed but I'm welcome to new ideas for those if anyone has any.

I also love the idea of creating a ROM hack and although I'm not sure how I can help but if this idea gets off the ground I definitely want to contribute to it, somehow!

I've actually been thinking that we need new mods anyhow since the current ones aren't very active. We need people who are going to respond when one is needed. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything like that, just different people are active now.  :D

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 06:27:49 pm »
I find it interesting that Geiger was Life. I would have expected Time.

We should definitely bring back the Aegis system, and Evokers... wait, wrong script. I think the main thing with a hack is don't advertise it too much. SE didn't notice until Crimson Echoes started getting some major press. Flames of Eternity has remained off their radar entirely.

I also love the idea of creating a ROM hack and although I'm not sure how I can help but if this idea gets off the ground I definitely want to contribute to it, somehow!

It might be possible to run Temporal Flux under the Mono Project now. If not, you can still work on writing or possibly sketching locations.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 06:53:02 pm »
Creative Regents should definitely be moved to Emerita status since the titles should only have lasted a year. I could do that now to prepare for new Regents. As for new titles, I'm on board with that. A comprehensive list should be made of potential creative works, notably, as Boo said, the individual contests that will be used in the Dream Splash. Does anyone have more ideas to add to his list?

I'm not actually sure how the Gurus are chosen myself. It could have been just a case by case basis. I'll look into it.

I think the current ranks are fine, but I wouldn't mind more unique ranks like the temporary Ayla's Bronze Fist (that are likely never seen but are nice trophies nonetheless) or the more permanent Peach one I used to have as Director.

Speaking of, I'm not sure we have an official Director anymore since I became an Entity. I need to look into that as well.

I like the idea of the Aegis System, but we'd have to be careful not to fall into the same pitfalls Crimson Echoes had. Would it be more appropriate for the System to promote hacks in general, say through tutorials or to highlight that portion of the Compendium?

For types of achievement, Life is reserved for creative, Time for analytical (both technical and plot) or unique, and Reason for community-wide leadership and activity.
It's probably way too late to change this now, but it seems to me that it would make more sense for the Guru of Reason to be the analytical one (since Belthasar built all the high-tech stuff) and for the Guru of Time to be the community one (since Gaspar watched over the central "hub" area).

That's... A very good point. Wow. Yeah, might be uncouth to change it now, but we could put it to a community wide vote?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:52:07 am »
My one thought to contribute to the conversation is: There's no need to be in a rush to make the site top-heavy with honorees. Activity is up, but number of participants is still fairly low. Let's take our time awarding honors!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 07:04:24 pm »
Let's take our time awarding honors!

I echo this for Guruship. The other titles tied to art will be repurposed for Dream Splash, but guruship, I totally agree.

I think the bigger picture is identifying the "how" these were awarded in the past. There's not really any documentation for this sort of titling and anyone from that era who was involved in identification and awarding is no longer present.

I'm thinking end of year for guruship shuffling, and that's assuming we have steady-to-increased activity between now and then.

The only person who even deserves guruship right now is Mauron; she's never been properly recognized for all of her work in the hacking arena, including the myriad of addons she's created for Temporal Flux. Not only that, but she's been faithfully active in the community even when others, like myself, went into periods of dormancy.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:23:37 pm »
Hmm...

Perhaps it could be done by checking the threads where the Guruships were awarded. If they don't state it there, then perhaps by checking what was done in the weeks/months before the awards?

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 07:35:55 pm »
I'm thinking end of year for guruship shuffling, and that's assuming we have steady-to-increased activity between now and then.

You don't have to worry abut that now! I will always be here posting, even if I'm just talking to myself.  :lol: Seriously though, I do think we have enough active people here to keep it going.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:07:05 pm »
Instead of choosing gurus at the end of the year, maybe have them switch on a more memorable Chronoversary? Like the release date of Trigger (August 11 for North America), or the first post of the Compendium (which I think was in December anyway).

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 10:36:33 pm »
Like the release date of Trigger (August 11 for North America), or the first post of the Compendium (which I think was in December anyway).

I think the US release of Chrono Trigger makes the most sense. Great idea. It also follows up shortly after Dream Splash VI ends, so we can award the proper titles for the individual category winners and grand Guruship at the same time.

The only caveat is that you can't have more than one title, so you'd have to choose.