Author Topic: Compendium Gamenight!  (Read 5737 times)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Compendium Gamenight!
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 10:21:14 am »
A Compendium roleplaying campaign would probably be best as a play-by-post thing, so no one has to make a large time commitment, or just going with the classic forum roleplaying style. Babylon 5 is a good choice for forum roleplaying, since it's designed to be a combat-light system, since combat in the series tended to get fatal quickly for those involved.

I'll put up an update topic on Monday.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 09:12:45 pm »
Hmm, can't say I'm that familiar about Babylon 5. Will still check that out...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 07:44:33 pm »
Cold spoo would leave your HP unchanged. Warm spoo would reduce your HP unless you're a Narn.

Bahaha... This made me laugh.

I've been holding off on the last episode of season 4 and season 5, since I'm trying to watch chrono-logically (baha, bad pun) and still need to get through Legend of the Rangers and Crusade, which is the only B5 I have yet to watch.

A Compendium roleplaying campaign would probably be best as a play-by-post thing

I would be down for this. We toyed with it before years and years ago, but we didn't have a DM and within a page I think all gameplay mechanics went out the window and it just became an interactive time-travel based fan fiction. No more HP or attack limits or anything even remotely of the sort. It also got really bad where people who could post all day, any day, would hijack the adventure while the rest of us would get left in their dust and rush to catch up.

When I started playing, as a result, I made my character someone affiliated with timeline displacement, in which they randomly appeared and disappeared, jumping around the timeline without their control. This way I could randomly make my character jump back into the events, although when I did so I made him at a different point in his character history than when we last saw him. It was literally the only way I could keep up with events.

I say all that to say that I've never done any sort of true forum RP outside of what had been attempted here, and I would be open to learning, but I would hope we'd have some guardrails.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 08:03:23 pm »
I've watched everything at least once. Sadly Legend of the Rangers and Crusade never really took off, with the former only getting a pilot, and the latter being cancelled before it aired (TNT still aired the episodes once, they just had 0 chance of a season 2).

I might be open to trying to run a play-by-post game, but I'm not sure what would be best for a setting and system.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 12:26:31 am »
This reminds me. Months ago I was working on setting up an RP of my own (in another site), something I've wanted to do for a few years now. At least until other things took up my time. If needed, I can share a few ideas around. Not like my thing will be done any time soon, so better give them use if through another way... who knows...

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 12:49:20 am »
At the moment I'd like to do something Chrono related if there's a good system for it. Otherwise I'm not sure what I'll do.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 01:42:24 am »
Based on my research, there are a few Final Fantasy tabletop and RP systems out there could fairly easy translate. I wouldn't mind putting something together, although it would take some time.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 02:14:36 pm »
Too bad there isn't some way we could all Play Chrono Trigger together online. That would be awesome!

If I can assist in any way, please let me know!  :D

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 09:16:21 pm »
Is the Babylon 5 role-play y'all are talking about just a modified D&D? Would we use that for a Chrono themed D&D? I'd totally be down for that. I think that's pretty much what Project Zeal was... I really wanted that to come back.

There's a simple Alice & Wonderland themed card game I really enjoy (called Parade) that I think could easily be adapted to be Chrono themed. Maybe we could do something like that with Tabletop Simulator or similar?

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 10:00:40 pm »
Babylon 5 is a modified D&D 3.5 game, with custom classes and races, along with other stuff. There's also a 3.0/3.5 variation for Star Wars, Farscape, Conan, and many others. We could put together a Chrono version, if anyone has suggestions on how to best do that.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 10:05:06 pm »
Hmm, well, perhaps first doing simple replacements for stuff that could roughly be equivalent?

I'm sure an adaptation could be done, if it was done for all that other stuff. Just look first at what can be kept as-is, then work up.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 10:19:15 pm »
Here's an earlier discussion of CT tabletop: https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=12530

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 10:32:00 pm »
Humans can stay as-is. Most skills will remain, but others will need tweaking. Feats are largely unchanged, but some specific setting ones will probably be needed.

Magic would probably need some revamping for a more Chrono feel. Dual and Triple techs are a must.

What races would be playable? Can someone make an Imp?

Classes is the tricky part. How would you fit Chrono Trigger characters into a class? What kind of Prestige Classes are there?

Seeing Razig's post, I wonder if True20 would be a better fit. It's a form of point buy D&D that might work.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 10:43:22 pm »
I think with an original scenario, we could easily throw in multiple races. I think races could have subraces to make things better.

For example... Something along the lines of...

Human Race
Prehistoric Subrace = +2 STR, -2 INT along with resistance to fire
Zeal Citizen = +2 WIS, -1 CHA, -1 DEX along with some spells
Earthbound Citizen = +1 DEX, +1 CON, -2 WIS along with resistance to cold
Middle Ages = +1 CON, +1 STR, -1 DEX, -1 CHA along with weapon proficiencies
Future Traveler = +2 INT, -1 WIS, -1 CON along with and extra tool proficiency

Then you'd do the same for various other races.

Mystics have Hench, Imps, and Diablo.

The future can have a robot race with several robot subraces.

The Reptite, the Dragonians... Then we can throw in the Chrono Cross races -- dwarves, fairies, mermaids, otherkin (Turnip, etc).

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2018, 11:17:33 pm »
I suppose what is needed might depend on the setting itself.

Personally, I wouldn't actually mind if we have an scenario that doesn't involve time travel, or dimensional travel, or something. Even if it means a small setting. Heck, basically, pulling a Radical Dreamers. For example, an RP around the Fall of Guardia could be something like this, or something. But well, that's just me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:25:35 pm by Acacia Sgt »