Author Topic: Feeling a bit dumb right now...  (Read 4421 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling a bit dumb right now...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 04:41:58 am »
That was a wild time. I came out of Compendium retirement to help out with all the malarkey going on plus the enormous site traffic. I remember being on the phone with a Square Enix lawyer at one point, trying to get them to understand our position, and realizing I was way out of my league.

It's funny how different people's memories of the past diverge from one another (that could be an interesting game idea...). I don't remember the "traitor in our ranks" angle at all. Like, at all, and I was one of the forum founders too. I just remember the adrenaline we all felt at the time, and the sense that we were doing something important. Attracting Squeenix's notice, even if that negative way, was a head rush. I had virtually no role in CE's development (other than being an occasional muse), but I was at the heart of the Chrono community then and I was super thrilled to see a fan game of some quality finally come to completion. Everyone talks about making one (myself included), but following through--and making it good--is a much taller order. For a long time I wasn't expecting the game to be all that good, and then it turned out to be pretty awesome. I was glad to see CE go underground after the C&D--we all knew it would continue in some capacity--and I don't really even mind the ripoffs and mods. After all, that's what Crimson Echoes itself is!

You know, a lot of folks point to that C&D as the reason that the fan base withered away afterwards. In hindsight, that wasn't true. This community was built around its core personalities and the incredible freedom of speech ZeaLitY allowed us. As folks were explaining in one of the other threads, life kinda took most of us in our separate directions, and a community really does live and die on the passions and quality of its true believers. PrincessNadia, you missed some great times! (Hah, I guess it's all still here in the forums, the text if not the zeitgeist.)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 05:19:42 pm »
Supposedly someone (Shadow Darkman, or it may have been someone else that was a trouble maker in these parts around those times) or someone like that *claimed* to have had a beef with ZeaLity and the Compendium egoism as a whole and *claimed* to have reached out to Square Enix saying that the ROM was going to be sold. Granted, it could have been a troll making claims, but the claim was made by someone in these parts.

Someone also leaked the beta and got banned. I can't remember her name but I remember liking her and was kind of surprised that she did it.

But yeah... crazy.

Also, you're lying! There was no actual beta. Crimson Echoes was all a lie and an attempt to keep Chrono Trigger relevant. Lies lies lies. Even the letter was fake -- look at how the Square Enix logo is off center by .2 degrees. Fools! /s

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 06:23:35 pm »
The letter was a publicity stunt to increase interest in Crimson Echoes. That's why they made the wording broad enough that they had to shut down the hacking portion of the site, and keep that community underground for years!

It might have been Shadow D. Darkman, but that sounds about right.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 06:57:08 pm »
Actually, I think it was Dark Serge who had the beef.

Also, the other one you were thinking of was teaflower. I was simultaneously both pissed off and heartbroken when I found out he/she was involved.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 09:20:49 pm »
Golly, I don't even remember those users.

And, yeah, I don't blame outsiders for being skeptical at the time. The safe money, when a fan production team says "Oh yeah we made the whole thing we're just not gonna show you" is usually that it's vaporware. Plus from a psychological standpoint I think the whole "CE is a fake and you're all liars!" thing is a way people protect themselves from the fact that they really do want more Chrono games and just aren't getting them--even fan games, most of the time.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 12:48:33 am »
Man, I do remember them... well, barely. I think it helps that I was in an RP with them (well, I think not Dark Serge) when that section got a revival some time after I joined up and found it interesting.

Anyway... hmm, man, I sure had forgotten most stuff from that time, reading this up. It sure does feel like forever ago. 9 years already...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 02:37:57 pm »
Yes! Good memory! It was teaflower and Dark Serge! I think Shadow D. Darkman was moreso just an annoying troll-type who liked to piss people off.

Faustwolf put up the youtube LP series pretty quickly, though. I remember even after that people outside the Compendium still claimed it was fake footage. Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory.

I'm still waiting on the next release of FoE: http://metronomeproject.blogspot.com/.

I was annoyed at them in the beginning but am now happy they took the unfinished beta and put some finishing touches on it. Even now I wonder if any of them are any of YOU (insert conspiracy theory here).

:D

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 09:48:25 pm »
Yeah, well, I'll just go forward and say I have nothing to do with it.

Or am I!? *Cue X-files theme*

Nah, just kidding.  :lol:

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 03:02:37 am »
Yes! Good memory! It was teaflower and Dark Serge! I think Shadow D. Darkman was moreso just an annoying troll-type who liked to piss people off.

OMG this triggered my memory! I remember Shadow D. Darkman now. He was a troll who was hilariously bad at his job of trolling. I'd completely forgotten about him...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 09:40:03 am »
I don't think he stuck around very long. Maybe six months at most? His trolling was definitely immature and there wasn't any thoughtfulness behind his antics.

I mean, If you're gonna mess with people, at least be *good* about it.