Author Topic: Dream Splash VI -- Planning and Pre-Discussion  (Read 7806 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Dream Splash VI -- The Theme
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2018, 11:13:33 am »
I used to do graphic design but no longer have a copy of adobe PS or Illustrator, so I was thinking I was going to have to put this together myself.

Get Krita and Inkscape. I pretty much use those for my professional work too. This was made in Krita.

By the way, who is the author for the image? We'll want to make sure we properly credit them.

Me.

:P

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 11:40:46 pm »
Awesome! I had no idea. Very, very good (like I said).

Seeing those just pumps me up even more!

And thanks for the advice with Krita and Inkscape. I picked up Gimp the other day, so that will add more tools to my belt. Granted, I haven't done any PS in a decade or so...

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 12:00:13 am »
Masa and Mune almost look like little house elves here. :D

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2018, 01:27:03 am »
Masa and Mune almost look like little house elves here.

Just don't give them a sock!

In all seriousness, I am posting the rules and kickoff on 5/1/18. Is it possible for a mod to rename this thread to "Dream Splash VI -- Pre-discussion and Planning" or something? Just for clarity.

I have a few questions for a mod:

1.) I would like to advertise on reddit... Does the Compendium happen to have an official handle on reddit?
2.) If we do a vote for the winner, the voter must be required to be registered at the Compendium. Does a mod know if we can backend so that there is only one vote per IP address? Just to make sure there isn't voting fraud. Not that I'm really worried about it, but you never know.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2018, 04:29:23 am »
You should be able to edit it yourself by using the modify button on the first post.

It's almost launch time!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Splash VI -- Planning and Pre-Discussion
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 10:38:32 am »
You should be able to edit it yourself by using the modify button on the first post.
'

I, uh, knew that. I was just, uh, checking to make sure you all, uh, knew. Yeah. Yup. That's what I was doin'.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Dream Splash VI -- Welcome, Rules, and So Forth
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2018, 07:18:02 am »
Few things that strike me.

1) Why not have a child-board for this?

2) Why not pin your post, if we don't have a child-board? I'm afraid of this thread getting lost. XD

3) I'd generally go with "Chronicler of Choras / Guardia" rather than "Chronicler of Enhasa", simply because there's already another Kingdom of Zeal reference there, but, eh... that's just like my opinion, man.

4) If anybody creates an animation (with the focus ON the animation, NOT the art; illustrations / sculpts with tiny movements don't count), it's worth creating a separate category for it because it just wouldn't be fair to lump it in with 2D Art or 3D Art. One can even make small-clips of animation, perhaps with a model or line-art, to tell a story or convey a feeling. But only if somebody actually creates such a thing.

5) Can I post something today, before the 1st of May?

6) :P
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:20:11 am by tushantin »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Dream Splash VI -- Welcome, Rules, and So Forth
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2018, 09:59:28 am »
This feedback should be in the other thread for discussion. That's where all this discussion for this have taken place over the past few weeks of planning.

1) Why not have a child-board for this?
It's in progress. I've asked the mods to do this and we're waiting on them.

2) Why not pin your post, if we don't have a child-board? I'm afraid of this thread getting lost. XD
It's in progress. There is also a news post coming up.

4) If anybody creates an animation (with the focus ON the animation, NOT the art; illustrations / sculpts with tiny movements don't count), it's worth creating a separate category for it because it just wouldn't be fair to lump it in with 2D Art or 3D Art. One can even make small-clips of animation, perhaps with a model or line-art, to tell a story or convey a feeling. But only if somebody actually creates such a thing.
So there was some offline chatter whether or not animation should be broken out into it's own category and we landed on combining it in with the 3D medium as a 3D+moving art category. Simply because both of those are highly unlikely to have many entries. I mean, let's be real, you're the only current Compendium member that does any sort of moving animation, haha... Admit it you, you just want to win by default, hahaha...

:P

In all seriousness, though, I'll take it offline for discussion and may break it out. No promises though. Discussion for this has been going on weeks months and we are less than 24 hours away from formally starting the competition, so I don't want to make a ton of program changes at the last minute.

5) Can I post something today, before the 1st of May?
Nope. May 1st is start date.

Just a heads up, I've asked the mods to move both your post and mine and move them to the discussion thread. That's where this should have gone. So if you come back here and our posts are elsewhere, that's where they will be.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:38:11 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2018, 02:27:24 pm »
I have a few questions for a mod:

1.) I would like to advertise on reddit... Does the Compendium happen to have an official handle on reddit?
2.) If we do a vote for the winner, the voter must be required to be registered at the Compendium. Does a mod know if we can backend so that there is only one vote per IP address? Just to make sure there isn't voting fraud. Not that I'm really worried about it, but you never know.

1) As far I know, there is no official Reddit handle for the Compendium. I'm not sure we need one anyway (Does anyone disagree?). I've shared a few Compendium topics there before, so feel free to start up something new.
2) Unless there's something I'm missing, I can only lock polls to votes per user, not per IP.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2018, 03:05:19 pm »
Just a heads up, I've asked the mods to move both your post and mine and move them to the discussion thread. That's where this should have gone. So if you come back here and our posts are elsewhere, that's where they will be.

Thanks for moving these, Kodokami. That should make it a little easier for the conversation to follow.

So there was some offline chatter whether or not animation should be broken out into it's own category and we landed on combining it in with the 3D medium as a 3D+moving art category. Simply because both of those are highly unlikely to have many entries.

@Tushantin, we're going to break it out. The rules thread will reflect that. The new category will be any moving art -- animation, .gif, video, moving sprites, etc. You better enter in that category!

:D

Thanks for all the help, Kodokami!

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2018, 03:09:56 pm »
Anytime. Still working on how to do a site update...

VOTIN AND PRIZESG:

By the way, I sure do love votin' and prizesg. :P

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2018, 03:19:00 pm »
Whoops. That was a late addition from when I originally typed all this up. I'll have to update it.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2018, 05:41:54 pm »
Anytime. Still working on how to do a site update...

VOTIN AND PRIZESG:

By the way, I sure do love votin' and prizesg. :P

I just had to say, this made me LOL!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2018, 05:47:39 pm »
I thought about leaving it as Votin' as an inside joke, but my professionalism won out.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2018, 05:51:44 pm »
I'm torn between Voting and Prizes (G) and Votin' and Prizes, G.

Excuse me while I enter this contest to win more G.