Author Topic: Dream Splash VI -- Planning and Pre-Discussion  (Read 7812 times)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Re: Dream Splash VI -- The Theme
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:11 pm »
My question is... and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm planning on submitting 3 pieces in 3 different categories. Will each piece have it's own topic?

BTW, so excited that I have until AUGUST!! That is soooooo much time! I'm super excited!!  :D

Thank you!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2018, 03:55:26 pm »
My question is... and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm planning on submitting 3 pieces in 3 different categories. Will each piece have it's own topic?

No such thing as a dumb question. And yes, you'd submit each piece individually. So each piece would have it's own thread. Even if you submit more than one piece in the same category, you'd submit each one individually.

I will make sure that verbiage is easier to understand and follow. :)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:37 pm »
Thank you so much for the quick response. That was what I was thinking, but I just wanted to be sure.  :D

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 02:40:30 pm »
Wouldn't it be funny if I won all the categories?

(Not that it's possible to dethrone the king of hacking, Mauron...)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 02:49:58 pm »
The most I could win is two categories, hacking and written (long form).

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 02:53:57 pm »
Bah, who cares about winning! It's the *fun* that counts! :D

Although an ego boost is always a good thing.

Speaking of winning, I haven't ironed out judges yet, and I really need to do that. I originally wasn't planning on judging, and I dunno if it would be a conflict of interest seeing that I kicked off the contest and am helping organize it. I assume not but wouldn't want there to appear to be any sort of conflict of interest.

EDIT: I did state in the rules that any judges participating in a category would not judge that category. I was hoping for five judges. Are there any reliable regulars who could judge some categories, assuming you aren't planning on entering much, if at all? I wasn't going to judge but it does make sense, since I probably won't be participating (and if I do at all, it will be a short story).

Thinking out loud -- would registered popular vote be a better method, so the masses could judge (and we just hope that there's not voter manipulation? Could we ban more than 1 vote per IP address?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:57:54 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 04:21:24 pm »
I actually really love the idea of voting. I'm wondering if after it's done if we can get get feedback on our entries? I've been trying to get input on what's good and what's not on my art not to no avail. I'm just trying to be better! However, that being said, I'm my harshest critic, LOL.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2018, 05:03:35 pm »
Voting could work.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2018, 08:23:09 pm »
I think regular voting could be good. As it gives a better gauge on what the community at large thinks on the works to be judged.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34:59 pm »
So here's a question for a mod --

Can we ban voting from multiple IP addresses? Not that I'm overly concerned about it, just throwing it out there as a potential sageguard.

If we go with voting, so pretty much what would end up happening is that on August 1st I'd list out all of the submissions for a category and create a voting option. One voting poll for each category. Leave it open a week and then announce the member with the highest vote the winner.

Simple enough.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2018, 03:06:47 pm »
I bumped into a neat little something, in case somebody has any funny ideas for the hackfest part of Dream Splash. *cough* The Adventures of Nu and Friends, a Platformer Game *cough*

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 04:07:55 am »
The Guru titles were secretly to keep people around. Someone putting out enough quality fan content or discussion on the board was probably closer to burn-out or leaving the site than before their output began, and so the award was like "hey, here's some recognition; please continue!"

If we want to award them for the Dream Splash, that's a totally good idea.

Can someone create a Dream Splash VI banner? 400x50, 400x100, whatever works (it can go in the update).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 04:09:47 am by ZeaLitY »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:28 am »
The Guru titles were secretly to keep people around. Someone putting out enough quality fan content or discussion on the board was probably closer to burn-out or leaving the site than before their output began, and so the award was like "hey, here's some recognition; please continue!"

That's still the plan. It should award innovation and commitment, and there's nothing wrong with using it as leverage and an appeal to individual ego.

If we want to award them for the Dream Splash, that's a totally good idea.

I was planning of using the Poet of El Nido and other titles as awards for the Dream Splash while keeping the Guruship tied to what it always has been.

Each category of Dream Splash would have an unique title award, though. Here is what I have regarding the titles in a .txt file regarding the entire Dream Splash VI (not all of it has made it to the Compendium just yet):

2D Art: This may be paintings, drawings, etc. (may be traditional or digital)
Artist of Termina
3D Art: This may be sculptures, videos, etc. (may be traditional or digital)
Sculptor of Kajar
Written Word (Short Form): This may be poetry, fan fiction, or an article (less than 500 words)
Poet of El Nido
Written Word (Long Form): This may be poetry, fan fiction, or an article (of equal to or more than 500 words)
Chronicler of Enhasa
Sound and Music: This may be remixes, original music related to the Chronoverse through lyrics, or music heavily inspired by the Chronoverse
Synergist of Marbule
Hacking and Interactive: This may be a ROM hack or interactive fan game via another means (ie, Java-based, RPGMaker, etc), may also be a fan-creation tool (such as a custom addon for Geiger's Temporal Flux)
Prodigy of Keeper Dome (or something somehow tying back to Balthasar/Project Kid/Chronopolis)

As for the banner, I asked earlier. No joy. I downloaded gimp a few days ago and started working on something. I need another day, maybe two, and plan on posting here in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:15:41 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2018, 10:53:00 am »
Can someone create a Dream Splash VI banner? 400x50, 400x100, whatever works (it can go in the update).

Here ya go, Z!

Smol version:

Godzilla Version:

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 11:10:41 am »
Looks great tushantin. Thanks for putting that together; I had previously asked if someone could and no one stepped up to bat. I used to do graphic design but no longer have a copy of adobe PS or Illustrator, so I was thinking I was going to have to put this together myself.

By the way, who is the author for the image? We'll want to make sure we properly credit them.