Author Topic: The Springtime of Youth  (Read 8582 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
The Springtime of Youth
« on: April 01, 2018, 01:18:56 pm »
Many days I wonder if the Springtime of Youth is gone for me. I'm older, with more burdens of responsibility, and yet I still strive for change. For my own growth, for the world, for my children. And sometimes it's out of my grasp, but sometimes there's that flicker, that desire of Spring within me.

This was a philosophy I found enthralling; I wonder if it can be recaptured.

For a time there was a sub-board dedicated solely to the cult surrounding the Springtime of Youth. For the life of me I can't find it; would it be possible for the mods to revive that board?

If it was moved amongst forum reshuffle (I know we lost the entire Angelus Errare: Heroes Unsung subboard), I'd love to see it revived.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Re: The Springtime of Youth
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 07:28:21 pm »
I haven't heard of the Springtime of Youth; although I definitely appreciate what you are saying. I'm actually working on creating my own art business; since I started doing CT artwork at work, I've been having people make requests. I figured getting it off the ground wouldn't be bad idea. I too strive for personal growth and it seems I'm finally getting that.

So should I google this, or was it something special here in the Compendium? Thank you for always responding Boo, it always means a lot to me! I know I keep trying to think up of ideas for posts to hopefully get traffic up a little.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:15:43 pm »
The Springtime of Youth was a philosophy that I think was picked up from Naruto. ZeaLity, one of the founders of the Chrono Compendium was a big proponent of it.

Essentially, the idea was that youthfulness allowed for a sort of zeal and vigor to accomplish things. Dare to dream. The embodiment of the Kingdom of Zeal itself. :)

It was as much a self-motivating ideology (with that anime influence) as it was a mantra of this place for some time. We all even had little tags indicating our self-admission into the way of thinking... It was somewhat tongue in cheek, but it was a good motivating tool. We had a subforum and could talk about life and our goals and motivated each other to keep stretching, keep reaching, and keep setting those bars high for the best sort of quality of life.

I dunno, I'm not a forum person. This is the only forum I've ever really been a part of (although I did post infrequently on the Chrono Crisis / Chrono Ark forums waaaay back in the day), and I find it refreshing. You sort of get to know your peers, whereas, for example, Reddit is anonymous and very impersonal. Granted, I have been a redditor for six years or so, but it feels so impersonal.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 08:42:10 pm »
OMG I love this idea!! I would love to resurrect it, if others are interested.

I'm not a huge forum person myself. I'm also on Reddit, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Like you said, it feels so impersonal. That reminds me though, I should check on it again sometime. I may make a new account, I don't like the first ID I picked and they don't let you change it. Booooooooo.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 09:28:17 pm »
Ah yes, the Springtime of Youth. I remember that.

... I feel like I was shoved straight into autumn...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:26:50 pm »

Don't we all? Even more reason we need the Springtime of Youth forum back. If nothing else, it can serve as a method of putting personal goals into words, thus making them real. Then, if possible, once written they can serve as a springboard.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 04:00:50 am »
I remember trying to post there, but feeling kinda out of place on it.

I'M IN THE SPRINGTIME OF MY YOUTH, SOMETHING ELSE GOES HERE.

That was the board description.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 09:22:49 am »
Hahaha... That's fair enough!

I don't think you'd have been out of place; I sort of feel like it was what you wanted it to be. Definitely a little over-the-top motivational / self-help focused, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If I can get the subboard revived (no admins in two days), you'll have to post.

Or else.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 06:33:27 pm »

Don't we all? Even more reason we need the Springtime of Youth forum back. If nothing else, it can serve as a method of putting personal goals into words, thus making them real. Then, if possible, once written they can serve as a springboard.

I suppose. Heck, Spring always come back around. In theory, at least.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 03:17:32 am »
It's fascinating to see people talking about The Springtime of Youth like the legend it has become. ZeaLitY would be simultaneously very pleased and very annoyed, I'm sure: Back in the day 'round these parts everyone darn well knew exactly what it meant, 'cause basically every other post of his was about BREAKING THROUGH THE IMPOSSIBLE and ACHIEVING THE ULTIMATE DREAM. Back then it was a practical, tangible thing: youthful persistence in the face of any odds; joyous contempt for one's rivals; blatant disregard for any obstacle no matter how sacred. Today it's spoken of more like a lost city of paradise, a distant Garden of Eden where people were happy because they were in tune with their passions. It wasn't ever really about happiness, though: It was a paean to youthful headstrong determination.

Sadly, like all the seasons, it isn't imperishable. Of all the people I'm still in touch with from the Compendium of yore, all of them have sort of transitioned into summer or, as Acacia Sgt so sagely pointed out, autumn.

It's funny...I haven't really thought about ZeaLitY much in the past few years. He got pretty pissed at me over something and we didn't speak after that, and I certainly have plenty of criticisms to make of him (not gonna do it on his own site, of course; he's the reason we're all here!), but coming back to the Compendium is inseparable from coming back to all those things I like about him.

For myself, I'm one of those people who never had a terribly long Springtime of Youth. I suppose it was my late high school days and my early college years, and summer began after that. But I could always relate to the Springtime goal of staying true to myself and my passions. Luckily for me, that's possible in all seasons of life.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 09:35:50 am »
For myself, I'm one of those people who never had a terribly long Springtime of Youth. I suppose it was my late high school days and my early college years, and summer began after that.

Yeah, I don't know if I've ever been in it myself. I've always sort of coasted through life and let chance guide my path. I did this for what I studied in college and ended up falling into something entirely separate for my career simply out of following the winds of change. Even the woman I married -- I just sort of went with it rather than put any substantial thought, and it's definitely caused some growing pains in our relationship (and learned a lot about ourselves in the process).

Today it's spoken of more like a lost city of paradise, a distant Garden of Eden where people were happy because they were in tune with their passions. It wasn't ever really about happiness, though: It was a paean to youthful headstrong determination.

This is a really good call out. I think I'm now on this "chase the dream" stage of life because I see it - through the faded glass of memory - as something *others* captured and utilized as a a tool for internal strength. I always remember ZeaLity saying "row row fight the power," which I think is from Naruto or something. I was always more of a Cowboy Bebop guy myself, haha. It may be wise for me to consider all this, as my understanding may be distorted due to the passage of time: oversimplified and in need of some temperance.

I may also be approaching mid-life crisis and this may be a manifestion of that. It's very possible! I'm a desk jocky and I hate being so... trapped... and I think that may have some to do with it. I loved the idea of Kerouac growing up and that shows itself now in my 30's.

This is productive. It's given me some food for thought.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 11:01:10 pm »
I may also be approaching mid-life crisis and this may be a manifestion of that. It's very possible! I'm a desk jocky and I hate being so... trapped... and I think that may have some to do with it. I loved the idea of Kerouac growing up and that shows itself now in my 30's.

It's a good bet you're right about that. It comes at different points for different folks, but once you get to the end of the catalogue of what the world has to offer (even if you didn't buy everything listed therein), the magic of the unknown is lost, like running out of presents on Christmas morning. You may well love what you opened, but potential is something most of us also love, and there comes a point in life where you begin to see what the boundaries of society and the human experience are...at least in this day and age.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 11:32:55 pm »
It's funny, there are times I'm almost envious of ancient civilizations. Information was slow to travel and traveling beyond local boundaries wasn't common. Travelin' was tough! You were born into a path and often had little choice (compared to nowadays). You inherited dad's trade or became a farmer. Life was simple.

Contrast that to the constant *choice* of today and sometimes I feel like that would be optimal. I imagine in my head society crashes and burns and we revert to some anarchistic lifestyle where the value of man was in the sweat of his brow and nothing more.

Then I realize that I may be teetering on super villain territory (jkjk) and I imagine how insanely miserable that life would be, especially if I recognize and was aware of the comforts of the modern world. Illiteracy, sexism, constant tribal warfare, very little medical applications beyond herbal remedies, and there were still hierarchies in which most were on the bottom rung...

...or I could just create my own version of the Shire. That would be nice. I think I'd make a stellar hobbit.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 04:06:10 pm »
Hearing y'all talk about passions here and in the other thread have made me realize, more tangibly than usual, that I may have let my Springtime pass right on by. Since high school, I feel like I've been simply coasting on waves without any true direction, neglecting my passions for simpler joys and easier contentment. I've never been really ambitious, but Josh is right that most of us have dreams in our youth that are lost in adulthood, and it's a real shame that I let those go.

I wonder if I can still catch some of those spring winds in my sail.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 08:12:40 pm »
I really don't think it's ever too late. Maybe I'm feeling overly optimistic these days, but I totally think it's feasible. Harder, sure, but still entirely possible.

There are too many success stories of people who find love, happiness, new career paths, new passions -- all after their most optimal decision years are behind them.

I'd like to think I can be one of them.