Author Topic: Proposal: CT Coliseum 3.0  (Read 1570 times)

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Proposal: CT Coliseum 3.0
« on: March 26, 2018, 02:20:41 pm »
CT Coliseum was the first complex hack of CT, and it's still arguably one of the best even now. However, more than a decade has passed since its last update, and there are some improvements that can be made to it.
I think it's a good idea to refurbish Coliseum, and it's should be relatively more feasible compared to bigger projects.
I have the following improvements in mind:
1. The map design of the region where the Coliseum is located can be improved to that it looks more "natural".
2. Currently, Crono's death is marked by a new item called Flag. If someone transfer a save file from OG game, the game wouldn't know that Crono is not supposed to be available at the moment. The Crono-check should be based on the game progression flag instead, as other parts of the game do. If possible, it's probably even better to change the player's team to Marle/Luca/Frog/Ayla when Crono is gone instead of temporarily disabling Coliseum since those 4 characters will be in your team for sure. (Robo will be gone during Fiona's quest, mind ya.)
3. The readme file mentions that the dream team ending is not available. I haven't tested, but what happens when you beat Lavos in those cases then? If Ending 3 is not restored, at least the player should be teleported back to where they were before facing Lavos.

These are the ones I can come up with so far. Maybe it's good to tweak the enemy pool a little as well. What are the exact list of enemies in Coliseum, anyway? The readme file mentions Zeal, yet the only (almost) full Coliseum playthrough I can find on Youtube shows that the 7th fight in hard mode involves 2 pink Nu's.

Edit: Oh, does anyone still has a copy of CyberSarkany's proof video? I don't know if it was ever publicly uploaded.
It's probably a good idea to try to contact JP & Cory for permission as well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:09:58 pm by Fortranm »

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Proposal: CT Coliseum 3.0
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:55:07 pm »
I'd be willing to assist with some updates as long as JP & Cory are ok with it.

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:04:23 am »
 :D Good to know! It might be hard to reach them at this point though.
Is there an easy way to check what are the exact list of enemies in the Coliseum at the moment? I don't quite get why the readme mentions Zeal when the 7th enemy on hard mode turns out to be 2 pink nus in the longest CT Coliseum video I found on Youtube. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4K0-DKvy5k)
Also, the reason Ending 3 was overwritten was to make space for the Coliseum. Is it possible to expand the rom while still make it playable on flashcarts and modern emulators at this point?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 04:58:19 am »
I can find the exact enemies used in the events without much issue. I'll do that if I start this.

The ROM expansion itself should work fine. I know Prophet's Guile and Crimson Echoes have a couple specific crashes, but I don't think that's a general issue with expansion.