Author Topic: What are the exact effects of those glitch items in autoplay cutscenes?  (Read 3318 times)

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HQqLN7ruw0
As you can seen in this video, you can trigger an battle during the autoplay cutscenes by pressing X button at the right time. There are some glitch items available, and if you try to use them, the game usually crash. What is the nature and exact effects of those items though? Are there any possibilities that they could be used to create a wrong warp?
BTW, apparently you can repeat that fight indefinitely. You get exp and TP as you normally would.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
I can't say for sure at the moment. Do you have any more details on what happened?

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5aqU8du_ig
This video shows the glitch items.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpHBI5P5QpE
This video shows leveling up.

To activate the battle during autoplay, you need to press X button for exactly one frame in the Guardian room.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
The inventory in the Flea battle is loaded with all items, and an equivalent number of items to the item index (1 Wood Sword, 189 Tonics, etc). The video demonstrates using item 0xF2.

The item itself has no effect, but it tries to play an animation. The data it grabs for the animation is actually part of RustTyranno's AI, which causes a black screen when processed.

There isn't anything that can really be done with this beyond crashing the game.

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Do all glitch items with Tech as names grab the same data? Do all of them inevitably crash the game without doing anything else?

Cherenkov

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
That's wild, I never knew about this battle in the auto-play scene. Those TAS folks are always finding the wackiest glitches.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
F2: Blank - No effect
F3: yclone - No effect
F4: lash - No effect
F5: Lightning - No effect
F6: pincut - No effect
F7: Lightning2 - No effect
F8: Life - No effect
F9: onfuse - No effect
FA: Luminaire - No effect in battle - Random Healing in menu (Power meal effect)
FB: ura - No effect
FC: rovoke - No effect
FD: (does not appear in the battle menu) - No effect
FE: Cure - No effect
FF: Haste - No effect

Apart from Luminaire, all items would function as a speed tab in the menu (except for the fact that the menu clears out these garbage items).

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
So they all try to grab part of RustTyranno's AI and crush the game in the same way?
What a downer. I thought it might be possible to skip the first two dungeons if there is a way to save the game during autoplay.  :(

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
They all grab garbage data. I didn't check to see what exactly they were loading.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
What happens if you lose this fight? Does the game crash, or go back to the title screen like a standard non-Lavos game over, or something else?

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: What are the exact effects of those glitch items in autoplay cutscenes?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 07:43:52 pm »
Looking closely, it seems that stats get corrupted after the item gets used. I'm not sure when the battle would end.

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 08:55:05 pm »
Sorry, I meant what if you just stand around and let the robots beat you up? No items or techs or anything.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 09:19:26 pm »
The battle triggered is the "You opened the menu in the Guardian chamber" fight. Without any special cheating, on an emulator I can start the spawn, but I can't get the perfect timing to get into the fight before getting kicked back to the pendulum.

So losing the fight would probably get you a game over, since location switching would be event code after the fight.

Fauntleroy

• Architect of Kajar
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Inclinata resurgit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 09:58:02 pm »
I have nothing to add except that this is super fascinating.

Fortranm

• Architect of Kajar
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 10:39:18 pm »
What happens if you lose this fight? Does the game crash, or go back to the title screen like a standard non-Lavos game over, or something else?
You get the regular game over and return to the title screen.

The battle triggered is the "You opened the menu in the Guardian chamber" fight. Without any special cheating, on an emulator I can start the spawn, but I can't get the perfect timing to get into the fight before getting kicked back to the pendulum.
It shouldn't be too hard if you press the button as soon as you can see the room(or a few frames after that).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:41:27 pm by Fortranm »