Author Topic: Feeling a bit dumb right now...  (Read 4410 times)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Feeling a bit dumb right now...
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:31:19 pm »
I know shortly after I joined here I mentioned finding Flames of Eternity and Crimson Echoes on Etsy. OMG I had NO IDEA that FoE is a stolen CE. I researched it today when I watched a LP of FoE on YouTube and I finished it and decided to watch CE next. Needless to say I was shocked when they started out very similarly. I actually feel really bad about it and knowing this now I will never play FoE, just CE. Seriously, forgive my ignorance because I seriously had NO IDEA! Thank you guys, you are seriously the best!!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling a bit dumb right now...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 06:04:02 pm »
No big deal.

So here's the lowdown... Crimson Echoes (CE) was in a beta state and had been sent out to a few people to demo. There was still polish to be made, bugfixes to find and implement, and new techs were scheduled to be created.

During this demo time, someone with a beef against the Compendium and ZeaLity (one of the co-founders of the Compendium and someone with a strong personality that rubbed some people the wrong way) supposedly went to SquareEnix, said that the authors of Crimson Echoes were going to sell the game for a profit and were intentionally violating the IP, so SquareEnix sent a Cease and Desist to all involved with the fangame.

This caused a huge uproar. Some people claimed that it was a PR stunt by the CE team, who actually had no viable product and were lying about CE.

Part of this C&D from SquareEnix demanded that the Compendium stop hosting and facilitating modding, and essentially wanted the closure of our Kajar Labs subforum (which was our singular location for ROM hacking and modding as a whole). Kajar Labs was shuttered and almost immediately the Compendium lost a lot of activity and hasn't recovered.

This was right around the release of Chrono Trigger DS in 2009, so there was a ton of buzz and excitement for the Chrono community, and Crimson Echoes had a website and was out there. It was a heavy blow to our morale.

The few fan projects still in the works migrated elsewhere and are still hidden out there. We lost a lot of momentum for fangames at that time; obviously no new fan games have been produced in the nine years since. Although there are a few that are still in the works.

Going back to the fallout from Crimson Echoes being C&D'd... Eventually, one of the people with a copy of the beta demo ended up releasing it, despite the Cease and Desist. Many saw it a dickish move, since it put those involved in the C&D at risk for litigation, but what was done was done. Once it was out there, there was no taking it back. So the playable beta demo was passed around, torrented, hosted, etc.

Not long after this, FaustWolf recorded himself playing the beta demo and released the entire playthrough to YouTube as proof of the demo's existence and as a medium for those to still enjoy the story of the fangame. We assumed that would be the end of it.

Then came the Flames of Eternity (FoE) team. They took the demo and decided to give SquareEnix the middle finger and finish the incomplete beta demo. Once again, this ruffled some people's feathers, as it could have potentially put those behind the Crimson Echoes C&D at risk. The FoE team has spent the past eight years or so working on builds, squashing bugs, implementing the new techs that had been planned, and have even added some new content in 2300AD.

Overall both CE and FoE are mostly the same, although FoE is definitely the more polished and complete build with a few changes.

I've played both and like some of the changes that the Flames of Eternity team have made (such as changing Agent42's accent), but I don't agree with all. I sort of feel like some artistic interpretation was lost in the migration.

Obviously, over time this place was quieted down and there hasn't been a ton of activity. I was non-active for years, only logging in once every six months or so. It's only been the past six months or so I've become active again. During that time, leadership decided that enough time has passed and allowed Kajar Labs to be reopened. Thus the public progress of Mauron's wonderful Temporal Flux and related tools.

Just to add... There are unconfirmed rumors that those behind FoE are actually some of those that worked on or were affiliated with CE, who decided to keep working on it under new aliases. I doubt this, but you never know with the internet. Just a rumor, but worth knowing as part of the story. :)

I was passive in all this and watched it unfold, so I wasn't directly involved with anything. I may have details wrong, so others can feel free to explain things I have misstated or gotten outright wrong.

EDIT: Fixed typos and added the final paragraph.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 06:14:22 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 06:57:42 pm »
OMG. I wish you could have seen my expressions as I was reading this. That is awful!! Even if you have an issue with someone, that was a bit of a dick move to go to Square. I'm very glad you took the time to fill me in because like I said, I had absolutely NO IDEA. So do you consider Flames of Eternity to be a good thing then? I'm genuinely curious.

Also, thank you for not thinking I was some sort of dumbass for not knowing. When I read what I found online I was seriously shocked and I felt sooo lame. I'm so happy that people here are so awesome! But wow... all that drama. That is so sad. It oddly makes me think of the fall of Zeal. Is that strange?

Thank you so much again for taking the time, Boo. I appreciate it very much!!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:16:21 pm »
Oh man, this brings me back.

I was among the flood of new members joining the Compendium after Trigger's DS release. Then I read up about CE and thought it very interesting. Was already familiar with CT before I knew of this place, so seeing a more direct sequel (I also like CC, but it's not as direct of a sequel), even if fan-made, was interesting. Alas, the C&D happened not long afterwards.

Yeah, I can't say much about the matter. I only showed up pretty much at the tail-end of it.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 10:19:43 pm »
Thus the public progress of Mauron's wonderful Temporal Flux and related tools.

Geiger created Temporal Flux, and added the wonderful plugin system that all my tools use.

Just to add... There are unconfirmed rumors that those behind FoE are actually some of those that worked on or were affiliated with CE, who decided to keep working on it under new aliases. I doubt this, but you never know with the internet. Just a rumor, but worth knowing as part of the story. :)

Having spoken with some of their team members... I seriously doubt that.

I joined the Compendium after hearing about Prophet's Guile. I started poking around Kajar Labs at the time, and got a little into the whole ROM hacking thing.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 11:31:09 am »
Having spoken with some of their team members... I seriously doubt that.

Me too. I don't think that, but then again, I'm not a conspiracy theorist type IRL.

Geiger created Temporal Flux, and added the wonderful plugin system that all my tools use.

Oh yeeeeeeeeah.

Unrelated, I almost feel like there needs to be an article that explains the history of Crimson Echoes, from inception to the almost-release to the eventual C&D. Like a formal article. I may try to start typing out more and making an actual historical catalogue of the events.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:33:42 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 01:20:13 pm »
Yeah, I joined right at the tail-end of it all too. I still don't know all the details, so it's nice to have a good summary of it, Boo, so thanks for that.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 02:45:13 am »
Yeah, I joined right at the tail-end of it all too. I still don't know all the details, so it's nice to have a good summary of it, Boo, so thanks for that.

Hopefully my memory is correct. Ten years is a long time, and I was very much a casual observer when all of this went down. Someone with more insight could easily swoop in and make some corrections (and I hope they do).

All-in-all, this place has been the best kind of roller coaster. I actually started following (on the peripherals) back before there even was a Compendium; it all started over on OCMR (although I seem to remember some GameFaqs overflow) in threads back around 2002/2003. Eventually, Agent12 (who went by a different name then, which I can no longer remember) and ZeaLity decided to migrate over and set this place up as a sort of hub for Chrono Trigger. I think that was 2003 or 2004?

I was a lurker, though, as I'm not really one for internet social media and forums in general (just try to find me IRL on Facebook -- you won't, hahaha). Not that there's anything wrong with it, just not that fun to me. Anyway, I didn't bother to register until around 2008. I was having trouble with properly patching Prophet's Guile and was forced to register to get help, hahaha...

I do wish more of the history of this place was chronicled. The people. A lot of contributions  have gone to build this place up. Theories, fan games (99% of which went nowhere, including my own), even RP-ing. We've seen so many influential people come and go. Also, I'm horrible nostalgic, if you can't tell. I'm this way IRL, too.

I do hope Chrono gets a revival and this place gets more activity. Only because both this place and the franchise deserve it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:17:54 am by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:37:29 pm »
I hear you on the nostalgia Boo. I too am the same way. (In case you haven't noticed. LOL)

I know I don't know a lot about the history of this place but if you do decide to put something together and I can help you organize or whatever, let me know as I would love to contribute!

I would also love to see more activity here and I can't help it, I still hope for a new Chrono game. Hell, I'll be hoping for that until they either make one or I'm dead. LOL

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:17:47 pm »
I registered here during that saga too.

I remember saying that Zeality & company should release it anyway, and someone yelled at me for being a terrible jerk and wanting to ruin their lives, and how my existence should be forgotten. as I explained, I never wished anything negative on Zeality and the crew. I honestly thought at the time that the C&D was a bluff, an empty threat which they wouldn't actually carry out, especially when they saw that the game was being freely distributed. however, it was never my life and finances on the line, so I fully respect the decision to obey the C&D. even though it seems my instincts were correct in the long run, I still can't criticize Zeality & crew for making a prudent decision.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 08:24:07 pm »
When it comes to legal things like that, I completely get following the C&D. It's too big of a chance to take. However, just because you said they should have released it anyway, nobody should have called you names. But, people can be so mean on the internet... I just wish the C&D wouldn't have ever happened, like all of us. If SE was smart they would have hired them and released the game and the team would have made money. How's that for a win/win? I think the game would have done extremely well.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 09:46:35 pm »
I understand where it was coming from, since passions were running high at the time. as far as meanness, I've been to far worse corners of the internet. any conflicts I've had in this community don't compare to the absurdity and trolling elsewhere.

of course they should've co-opted the fangame. if there's enough demand for a new Chrono game that people pool their resources and create one, then surely there's a market. however, Square-Enix (affectionately known as Squeenix) is a far cry from the Square of yesteryear. they seem determined to live up to the corporate stereotype, including litigiousness, treating franchises as cash cows, and ignoring what the fans want if not actively antagonizing them.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 02:21:02 pm »
I understand where it was coming from, since passions were running high at the time. as far as meanness, I've been to far worse corners of the internet. any conflicts I've had in this community don't compare to the absurdity and trolling elsewhere.

of course they should've co-opted the fangame. if there's enough demand for a new Chrono game that people pool their resources and create one, then surely there's a market. however, Square-Enix (affectionately known as Squeenix) is a far cry from the Square of yesteryear. they seem determined to live up to the corporate stereotype, including litigiousness, treating franchises as cash cows, and ignoring what the fans want if not actively antagonizing them.

This post hit the nail on the head. And yeah, I do get what you are saying about passions running high. It had to have been a difficult time for all.

Yeah, Square makes me sad now. They used to be great but now they're just not. Just treating franchises as cashcows, like you said.  :(

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 02:06:54 pm »
Gotta love rampart corporatism!

I'm one of those cogs in the machine of capitalistic corporatism and I hate it.

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:02 am »
Omg Boo, I hear you there. I have the same problem and I also hate it.