Author Topic: Original Characters and the Chronoverse.  (Read 3533 times)

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
Original Characters and the Chronoverse.
« on: March 01, 2018, 12:27:51 am »
Okay, so most of us love a good Chrono fic. Some of us love the way they present the canon characters. Others might love the retelling of the story or love new and unique scenarios. Others might take interest in new characters introduced in fanfics. The latter is what I wish to discuss a bit.

While the Chrono series is somewhat lacking in the amount of fanfiction written (as opposed to, say, Final Fantasy), but what's there usually has a lot more thought put into them than other fics, including OCs.

So my question to you all is: What are the original characters or interperetations of unknown background canon characters that have made an impression on you? Keep in mind, personal bias is allowed for those who are making or have made projects. (Case in point...)

1. Cain Cray (Chono Saga: To the Sea of Dreams/Future projects made by me.) - Yes, I admit it, I'm a shill. This guy has been the go-to character I make when I do a new project/play a new game for nearly twenty years. He's an ineffectual-loner type who always manages to find friends along the way, always with a somewhat tragic past no matter the incarnation. I've spent so many years shipping this character with Schala in different projects that he is headcanon-locked in my mind as her significant other, no matter what Kato says. This guy has been a part of my creative process for over half my life, and for better or worse, he will be sticking around for a long time.

2. King Alphard Zeal (Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes) - I, like probably a lot of you, said to myself, 'Okay, we know about the Queen. What the hell is up with the King?' Zeality and many others gave us an answer in the main villain of the most infamous Chrono fangame of all time. Janus and Schala's father was crafty, he was cool, and he made one hell of a devil's advocate, bridging the admittedly wide gap between Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in the process. While many would try to bring forth their own interperetation of the man (including myself), there's something to be said about the original. Hail to the King, baby.

(I may update this list as I think of or discover other characters.)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Original Characters and the Chronoverse.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 08:49:57 am »
Ooooh! I like this!

So I would agree that the creation and inclusion of King Zeal in Crimson Echoes is probably the *best* example of a fan character that became head canon. His motives were driven by calculated passion and I understood where he was coming from, even if I didn't agree. He was a fascinating villain and I enjoyed his character oh-so-much.

Although not a new character, there was a fan fiction I read around 1997 or 1998 that involved Gaspar being the villain, a fleet of black Epochs, and the End of Time turned into a villainous industrial nation called the Nation of TEOT. I remember next to nothing beyond those elements and the fact that the villains were victorious at the end. Despite having not read the story since (this was back in the days of Neogaf homebrew sites, and of when Schala and Cyrus characters were disputed secret characters). The fan fiction itself stood out to me, though, and it's clear I remember it better than any other fan fiction story. There was something about Crono and company losing - to Gaspar, no less - that just stands there in my memory. I've tried to find the story to no avail, and it may be possible in my head I've created an amalgamation of multiple stories into one.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 01:05:15 pm »
Omg. Thread necromancy.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010620235933/http://icybrian.com/fanfic/keithadams.html

Shout out to me lysine for finding this. S/he is awesome. What a trip down memory lane.

There's quite a few details I got wrong, but this is absolutely it. How hilarious and what an amazing surprise.

skylark

• Poet of El Nido
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 02:58:58 am »
I completely forgot about this topic.

Grats on finding that fic.