Author Topic: Identifying battle sound effects  (Read 18014 times)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Identifying battle sound effects
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 05:03:42 am »
I goofed the list on 48 in 3 of the 4. Whoops.

X-Strike plays 4D and F2 at about (exactly?) the same time.

49 is unused.

Enemy techs 1c (I wrote 19 by mistake earlier), 26, and 61 are all unused as far as I can tell. I'll record them in battle tomorrow.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2018, 07:27:24 am »
just confirmed that 48 is used for Rolypoly's tech, listed as Spin Jump in the encyclopedia. should've known another gem was hiding in Heckran Cave. very obscure.

here are my remaining uncertainties:
0B: is this used anywhere besides Aura Whirl? it sounds just like a save point, so I thought it might be associated with the save point enemies in Magus' Castle.
A5: is this used when Guardian revives bits?
CF: sounds exactly like a robot opening/flexing, but I can't find an example of it in battle.
E3: is this used for an enemy running from battle (eg Golem Boss, Diva Flea)?
6A: is this rapidly repeated for Fire Breath and Omega Flare?
5F/60: which is used in Needlespin & Needle Disorder?
D7: I believe this is only used for Super Volt (Chrono/Robo) while 7B is used for lightning2 as well as Mother Brain and Mammon Machine attacks.
also, I believe 41 is used for Rocket Punch, Laser Spin, R-Series, and Robo crits; while B3 is used for advanced Robo techs (Robo Tackle, Bubble Snap, etc).

it turned out to be more than 5, but hopefully this is manageable, especially since I'm mostly certain of the last two. the idea is to iron out any and all uncertainties, so I can remove the question marks and finalize this. I'd like to get it right the first time so to speak.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 06:22:27 pm by xcalibur »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2018, 05:41:27 pm »
Enemy tech demonstration 1c, 26, 61 in that order

0b Aura Whirl, Grand Dream
A5 is used as part of the Guardian's revive.
CF unused
E3 is used by Golem Boss's and Flea Plus's fleeing (fleaing?), probably others.
6A is used by Omega Flare and the Dragon Tank's flame breath. Both Tyrannos use 74. I'm not sure what else has a flame breath attack off the top of my head.
5F is used by all Needlespin variations
7B is used in *Lightning2. Super Volt (I think is what you meant by Shock) uses 51, 6e, 8a, and F1.
Mother Brain doesn't seem to use either. Her Mystic Ray (Proto 4's beam) uses A2 and A4. Laser Spin (also used by Debuggest) uses 80.
41 is used by Robo's Rocket Punch and Laser Spin, and one of the R Series punches. It's probably used by Robo's Critical (one PC definitely does), but that table is somewhat confusing. I'd have to do some debugging to figure it out.
B3 is used by Robo Tackle and Bubble Snap.
D7 is used by GaiaMagnatude / Fire (Giga Gaia), Laser Beams / Doors of Dooms Open (Lavos 2).

I think that covers everything.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 07:01:45 pm »
I meant to say Super Volt, just edited. And I should've realized 0B was in Grand Dream, it's already in the tech recipe!  :oops: pardon me.

A5: thought so. I think it's really cool how they used the charge-up sound for luminaire in that way.
6A: a number of enemies use the 'rapid fireballs' attack. this includes Megasaur, Red Eaglet, Son of Sun, Zombor, among others. then there's Mother Brain's Reprogramming/chaos, Lavos Spawn's Blizzard/chaos which are similar. I thought it was 6A, just wanted to make sure there was nothing tricky happening. when I realized missiles use 7E I was a little surprised.

Super Volt: are you sure D7 isn't used? I'm almost certain it is. there's the 51 Robo charge-up, F1 to start the attack, then 8A for the 'shock portion', D7 for the 'lightning portion', then 6E to finish it. the 'lightning portion' is longer than lightning2, so D7 is the only explanation.
Mother Brain: there's an attack she uses after Upgrade (which only occurs if you destroy all 3 displays). it looks and sounds just like the 'releases energy' attack in the Mammon Machine battle. I think it uses either 7B or D7, probably 7B. eta: just checked, the first phase of GaiaMagnade looks/sounds like the MotherBrain/Mammon Machine attack I'm referring to. hm...

once again, pardon any errors, it's alot to keep track of.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:48:09 pm by xcalibur »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 08:51:52 pm »
I'm sure that only two enemy techs use sound D7, but multiple enemies could use the two techs. I'll double check that list, and get a full list of Super Volt's sounds.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 11:50:24 pm »
Super Volt: 6E, 8A, F1, 51 x3

The Mammon Machine releasing stored energy uses 7B.

Gaia Magnade uses D7 followed by B7.

The Red Eaglet's fire is just 6As in it. Zombor uses the same tech. Mother Brain is also exclusively 6A. Lavos Spawn uses the same tech as Mother Brain. Son of Sun's flames use the Red Eaglet attack, while the head shares an attack with Spekkio that uses 98.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2018, 11:29:13 am »
GaiaMagnade checks out. as for 6A, you didn't have to examine all that -- I was confident anyway, just wanted to be certain since the sound is played in fast repetition. and yes, Son of Sun has the 'enemy flare', as does Spekkio.

I figured Mammon Machine uses 7B. since that attack acts just like MotherBrains post-Upgrade attack, I'd assume that's also 7B. can you get a read on it to make sure?

I believe F1 is used in Shock as well as Super Volt.

it seems Super Volt presents a problem. here is its recipe: 51 x3, F1 (cut short), 8A, D7, 6E.
I hear 5 sounds being used. The part with the yellow beams, before the zap at the end, clearly uses either 7B or D7. for reference: https://youtu.be/Gs3jiU63X4g?t=1m49s
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:32:49 am by xcalibur »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2018, 11:46:53 am »
Shock uses F1 and 8A.

Mother Brain uses the same tech as the Mammon Machine when left without displays.

I can't see a fifth sound in Super Volt. Confusing.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2018, 12:28:38 pm »
There is a D7 in there. I'm looking into how they handled that now.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2018, 12:31:45 pm »
I thought so, since the length matches up. This is why it helps to cover both front and back ends.

some sounds are very similar, with the difference being a slightly different quality like 41/B3, or one being longer than the other ie 7F/81, BB/F3, and 7B/D7.

7F longer blast: Fire2 cast, Geyser (Magus), Shadow Doom Blaze, Evil Star 1/3, etc. cf 81
81 shorter blast: Rocket Roll (Chrono/Robo), Mega Bomb, Dark Mist, etc. cf 7f

let me know if there are any issues with the above.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 11:14:30 pm by xcalibur »

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2018, 12:50:48 pm »
Layer 3 packets can have sounds attached to them, but I haven't documented Layer 3 packets yet. I'll have to do that next.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2018, 02:16:12 pm »
so that explains it.

I'm pretty sure my 7F/81 IDs are accurate. I just wanted to run things past you while tying up loose ends, especially since I made a few mistakes/omissions along the way. If you find any other issues with my results, feel free to let me know.

I'd also like to point out one of my recipes:
Dalton Plus summoning fail:........................................D2, 78, C0 x5, 8F, D0
at the end of the Dalton Plus battle, he attempts to summon Golem Boss, only to get hoisted by his own petard and sucked into his own gate (a very fitting end for that character). what's interesting is that, unlike most cutscenes, this takes place while in battle mode. this means they had to use battle sounds for the scene, which they pulled off quite well. it's another example of the craftsmanship in CT, which has become more apparent to me while doing this.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2018, 03:21:41 pm »
I'll have to go through the layer 3 packets before this list gets finalized. I'll have to focus my attention there for a while.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2018, 04:54:37 pm »
Understood. in the meantime, I'll repost the complete and abridged lists so they're in one place. even if it's not done yet, I think this is getting much closer to a finished product.

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=12669.msg226796#msg226796
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:35:23 pm by xcalibur »

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:34:42 pm by xcalibur »