Author Topic: Steam port Modification opportunities  (Read 1127 times)

Rjenyawd

• Iokan (+1)
  • ..but time flows like a river, and history repeats
    • View Profile
Steam port Modification opportunities
« on: February 28, 2018, 01:52:40 pm »
Hey guys!

So, I know we're all upset about the steam addition just being a lazy!port of the IOS release... but there might be an upside?

Chances are, if this port is anything like the FF6 and 5 IOS -->STEAM ports, then the game may be running off a copy of the DS ROM with the new graphic calls and text being supplemented over the original data.  Which means (some) ASM hacking that is done to the internal DS ROM will still work in the STEAM version. (Assuming that anyone has worked on modding the DS release....)

Also, if anyone is able to decrypt the data files and compile a program like Nyxo's FF6Explore, we can look into if the graphics engine includes new sprite overlay files (alongside that terrible filter). If that IS the case, sprite editing will become more accessible.  FF6 Steam's data compiled a .png file for each character with all of their completed animation frames on one spritesheet, effectively granting access to sprite editing without having to worry about assembly or separate pallet data)

Also, the possibility exists for any modders who are (MUCH) savvier than me to play with the awful mobile user-interface and see if it can be changed around a bit.

Is anyone else interested and sort of excited about the possible modding opportunities? Or am I just going crazy with disappointment and grasping at straws to find a bright side to all this mess?

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: Steam port Modification opportunities
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 02:34:59 pm »
I haven't seen much of anyone working on the DS version, unfortunately. There was a recent topic, but that's about it.