Author Topic: Chrono Trigger for Steam!  (Read 2451 times)

GasparXR

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger for Steam!
« on: February 28, 2018, 02:53:13 am »
Chrono Trigger was suddenly released for Steam! But according to this article, it's not very good: https://www.avclub.com/chrono-trigger-just-showed-up-on-steam-but-it-s-a-mess-1823370401

:o

It's just a port of the mobile version apparently. Why they couldn't just port the DS version or put real effort into updating the game is beyond me, but colour me disappointed. Here's hoping if ever a Cross remake comes to fruition, that it gets the same great treatment that Trigger DS got.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger for Steam!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 12:09:18 pm »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 09:29:05 am »
Just wanted to throw this out there...

The modding of the Steam version is underway!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/06/modders-are-working-to-fix-square-enixs-shoddy-chrono-trigger-pc-port

Jed Lang, who did the modding for FFVI on Steam (which fell to all the same complaints) is now working on Chrono Trigger.

"So, if we got ALL of the original art (characters AND backgrounds), my belief is that it'll largely look 'better' (for some definitions of 'better')—in that, it'll probably mostly look like the original SNES game; with the caveat that it'll be running with a few modifications of the Steam release," ...

He's already put together a 'Defilter' addon and a file explorer per his Twitter

https://twitter.com/rivernyxx?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.com%2Fmodders-take-on-the-quest-to-save-chrono-trigger-on-pc%2F

It may be worth archiving his tools here at the Compendium. We may also want to add a section to the encyclopedia about the Steam/mobile releases (if they haven't already).

Just a thought.

Rhyagelle

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Trigger Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 08:39:19 pm »
Yes, the modding for the Steam release is well under way at our CTRP thread at Steam. Nyxo's tools have been a great help to me and the modding community. And Nyxo informed me a little bit ago of another update to the tools, v1.3, and it fixes a few bugs. It has gotten a really nice UI change too at v1.1. You simply rock, Nyxo, thank you (if you ever read this) for helping me and CTRP and with the tools.  :mrgreen:

It is just a shame this had to be done in the first place. Thank you Square Enix, but I'm sure your up and coming patch will "fix" our issues.  :lol:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:45:12 pm by Rhyagelle »

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 12:51:51 pm »
Yes, the modding for the Steam release is well under way at our CTRP thread at Steam. Nyxo's tools have been a great help to me and the modding community. And Nyxo informed me a little bit ago of another update to the tools, v1.3, and it fixes a few bugs. It has gotten a really nice UI change too at v1.1. You simply rock, Nyxo, thank you (if you ever read this) for helping me and CTRP and with the tools.

Thanks to what you and the others are doing, Rhyagelle!

For those curious, here is the thread s/he is referencing:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/613830/discussions/0/1696040635926310206/

We'll want to make sure we archive these tools. :)

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ń
    • View Profile

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 03:05:05 pm »
I just had to say that photo is epic!!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 04:11:23 pm »
Thread revival to say that Square Enix has done pretty good in fixing the PC port. I have touched on it a few times over the past few months and it's been well done.

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 09:50:59 am »
Thread revival to say that Square Enix has done pretty good in fixing the PC port. I have touched on it a few times over the past few months and it's been well done.

Are they done with the patches yet? Or is it still being updated?