Author Topic: Chrono Trigger is now on Steam  (Read 6630 times)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Chrono Trigger is now on Steam
« on: February 27, 2018, 06:28:40 pm »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger is now on Steam
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 06:36:12 pm »
So we have yet another Chrono Trigger port, and this one a sloppy port from mobile to boot...

..And yet I've forked out the $15 in support of the series. I own so many copies of this game now, hahaha... C'mon, Squareenix! It's sequel time! Or at least proper sequel time!

If anyone wants to be Steam friends, PM me.

EDIT:

So at first glance, reviews are pretty abysmal. Apparently a lot of people are complaining about the blur filter (to make is slightly less pixelated), which is a common complaint about the PC port of FFVI as well. The other major complaint is that the menu is, once again, the menu from the mobile version, since this is a port from mobile. All of these reviews have, at most 0.3 hours in game. It's a shame.

Look guys, I'm going to ask a favor. Do not review bomb this game as others are doing. This does not set the right precedent for interest in the franchise as a whole. Is this is a quick cash grab? Yeah, which is par for the course for many AAA game studios like Squareenix these days. I'm pretty sure they know that. But bombing the game with reviews on Steam may just make Squareenix see that people don't like Chrono Trigger... Squareenix has a bad habit of misreading fan intent.

Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:42:22 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 07:37:20 pm »
A crappy port... of a crappy port.
:picardno

As a lifelong Chrono Trigger fan, I feel obligated to buy this, but MAN do I hate giving them money for such a slapdash effort. Mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded.

I feel sorry for newer players whose first experience with CT will be this garbage. I'm worried that tons of people will be introduced to it via this version (because Steam is so accessible and the price tag is reasonable) and they'll be massively let down. Which Square will use as an excuse to continue ignoring the series.

"THIS is what all the hype was about?"

No, the hype was for Chrono Trigger. This is like... Chrono Trigger from Bizarro World or something.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:41:57 pm by Razig »

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:42:29 pm »
So we have yet another Chrono Trigger port, and this one a sloppy port from mobile to boot...

..And yet I've forked out the $15 in support of the series. I own so many copies of this game now, hahaha... C'mon, Squareenix! It's sequel time! Or at least proper sequel time!

If anyone wants to be Steam friends, PM me.

EDIT:

So at first glance, reviews are pretty abysmal. Apparently a lot of people are complaining about the blur filter (to make is slightly less pixelated), which is a common complaint about the PC port of FFVI as well. The other major complaint is that the menu is, once again, the menu from the mobile version, since this is a port from mobile. All of these reviews have, at most 0.3 hours in game. It's a shame.

Look guys, I'm going to ask a favor. Do not review bomb this game as others are doing. This does not set the right precedent for interest in the franchise as a whole. Is this is a quick cash grab? Yeah, which is par for the course for many AAA game studios like Squareenix these days. I'm pretty sure they know that. But bombing the game with reviews on Steam may just make Squareenix see that people don't like Chrono Trigger... Squareenix has a bad habit of misreading fan intent.

Just sayin'.

I refuse to buy shit that they didn't even put any effort into. They didn't release Chrono Trigger on Steam to gauge fan interest. They did it because it costs them nothing and makes them money. They put zero effort into it. With Chrono Trigger DS, I could see that as them gauging interest in the franchise. But Chrono Trigger DS sold incredibly well, and nothing happened. Worse, the senior VP of Square Enix had the gall to say "they should buy more" if we want a sequel.

A new entry in the Chrono franchise is never going to happen. I've accepted that a while ago. And even if it did happen, they would most likely fuck it up. It's been so long since Chrono Cross, the company is nothing like it was back then.

So no, I will not give my money to another shitty cashgrab. At this point, Square Enix doesn't even give enough of a shit to say "See! Bad reviews! They don't want a sequel!".

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 10:45:31 pm »
I refuse to buy shit that they didn't even put any effort into.

Not buying the game is perfectly acceptable. My request is that we, as the core of the Chrono fandom community, don't bumrush it with negative reviews. Just to be clear.

Ninja edit: 'bumrush' was not intended as a pun. My bad. Bahaha!

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 11:43:59 pm »
I was hoping it would ever get something like a Steam port... well, it's there now.

Hmm... not sure what to think on this, to be honest. I'd need to actually see it for myself rather than just go for all the criticism. I could agree it could be better... but I'd still point this is the most accessible way for me to get the game again. Outside emulating, but I'm not touching that even with a ten-foot pole.

Eh... who knows... will think this over.

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 11:58:46 pm »
This sequence of tweets are a "interesting" review of the game
https://twitter.com/thatsmytrunks/status/968533719869947904

And this other is a alternate view of all the whole 'Drama', plus some info about game archiving:
https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/968611262321037312

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 02:27:51 am »
I'm more than happy to share my emulators of CT, Crimson Echoes, Cross, etc. Personally I hate steam, and playing it is inferior to playing on the console im sure, not better. Steam is a secondary and unnecessary operating system that by 20 year old definitions is classed as a computer virus (though so is Angry Birds for Android).

That being said, I'm glad its there. The new generation of hippies and not quite retro millenials may get some exposure. If theres a million purchases, we might get one or two people on here I'd guess.

xcalibur

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 06:38:06 am »
based on the screenshots I've seen, they've shown the usual expertise in ruining classic games via modern ports. the fonts are all wrong, the graphics are all wrong, there are tile breaks, etc.

If nothing else, these sorts of shenanigans highlight the craftsmanship of the original devs.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 12:08:04 pm »
On a positive note: I am already hearing murmurs of modders straightening this out, like they've been doing with the FFVI port (which was also the mobile port).

Mods to remove the filters, change the font to SNES or DS, etc.

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 12:49:37 pm »
On a positive note: I am already hearing murmurs of modders straightening this out, like they've been doing with the FFVI port (which was also the mobile port).

Mods to remove the filters, change the font to SNES or DS, etc.

So you pay 15 bucks to buy Chrono Trigger... Then you mod it so that it's identical to the SNES rom, which you can download anywhere for free. I think I'd have more enjoyment out of those 15 bucks if I took a lighter and burned them.

Rjenyawd

• Iokan (+1)
  • ..but time flows like a river, and history repeats
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 01:24:54 pm »
Not going to get into how angry I am about the lazyness of the steam port, or how it's another seppuku stab at the franchise that Square enix is going to blame on "not enough interest".

But I AM really excited to see if someone has broke into the PC files yet. If the inner workings are anything like the FF6 port, it could open up some modding ease of access.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 01:34:15 pm »
I think I'd have more enjoyment out of those 15 bucks if I took a lighter and burned them.

Then perhaps you should do that, eh? Might help dissipate some of that rage you have towards Squareenix (not that it's unjustified), plus you'd really be sticking it to them!

:)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 09:29:48 am »
Just wanted to throw this out there...

The modding of the Steam version is underway!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/06/modders-are-working-to-fix-square-enixs-shoddy-chrono-trigger-pc-port

Jed Lang, who did the modding for FFVI on Steam (which fell to all the same complaints) is now working on Chrono Trigger.

"So, if we got ALL of the original art (characters AND backgrounds), my belief is that it'll largely look 'better' (for some definitions of 'better')—in that, it'll probably mostly look like the original SNES game; with the caveat that it'll be running with a few modifications of the Steam release," ...

He's already put together a 'Defilter' addon and a file explorer per his Twitter

https://twitter.com/rivernyxx?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.com%2Fmodders-take-on-the-quest-to-save-chrono-trigger-on-pc%2F

It may be worth archiving his tools here at the Compendium. We may also want to add a section to the encyclopedia about the Steam/mobile releases (if they haven't already).

Just a thought.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 04:16:50 pm »
I added links to the Modification page. The only upload page I can find is images only, unfortunately.